Suddenlink is dropping all Viacom stations tonight

13,463 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Tagguy
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
24 stations, including Comedy Central. That's it. I tried you guys. I'm going back to DirecTV.
rc_cat
Well, that sucks.
new straw
Did they really not reach an agreement? I kinda figured everything would get sorted out.
redd38
AG
I don't want to pay more for their mostly s***ty channels, I'm glad they're dropping them.
Mr.Short-termMemory
AG
Disappointed to lose Nickelodeon.
biobioprof
From what I'm reading, Viacom wants somewhere between a 30-100% price increase despite declining ratings. Suddenlink is just the latest to spar with them over the price hike.

Can't say I'll miss those stations that much, even though I watch CC now and then. And I wonder how much is available online.
rsa
AG
http://www.fiercecable.com/story/suddenlink-threatens-blackout-viacom-channels/2014-09-28

eta--SL is not the only provider to have issues with Viacom. A little research, and you find Cable One (700,000 subscribers) dropped Viacom in April and have not replaced them. Cablevision is suing Viacom over its bundling practices, and the court in New York has denied Viacom's plea to have the suit dropped. As for Direct TV, they fought Viacom in July, 2012, and eventually acquiesced to their price demands. In a year-or-so, the contract will be up for renewal. Time will tell if Direct and Viacom continue to work together.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Here are the channels being added on 10/1. I'm stoked about getting GSN back, only because I'm a total game show nerd.

If the Viacom channels go away, Nick Jr. might sting the most in a house like ours with small children.
curry97
AG
If they don't work it out, we will be contacting Direct.
ksp
If I didn't have kids, I would cancel cable/dish all together.

becoming an absolute price gouge.

It is cheaper to switch, get the cheap one year, pay the $400 to get out of your two year contract and switch back. Wash rinse repeat.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
And if Suddenlink had agreed to Viacom's blackmail, they would have been forced to pass that price hike onto the customers.

And the same people *****ing on this thread about switching to Direct TV would be *****ing about the inevitable price hike and be saying they're switching to Direct TV. Don't even pretend to say you wouldn't be moaning about the price increase to keep these overpriced channels because you know you would.

There is already another thread about this on the Entertainment board: http://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2533683

Viacom wants to almost double their rates for a slate of channels that are 90% crap and refuse to not sell them as a bundle. And Suddenlink isn't the only cable company dropping Viacom. There are about 60 smaller cable companies not bowing to Viacom's ridiculous demands.

MTV? Trash. Spike? Trash. VH1? Trash. TVLand? Never watched it. BET? CMT? Nope. Palladia? Watched a Foo Fighters concert on it once and that's it.

There are only two things I'll miss:

Nickelodeon. The kids still watch Spongebob each morning getting ready for school but it's on Amazon Prime, so they can watch it using my PS3.

Comedy Central. However, South Park has all their episodes on their website and I guess I'll be buying the new Key & Peele episodes on iTunes or Amazon Prime.

EVERYTHING else is not worth *****ing about, but that still won't stop some people.
curry97
AG
Paying the extra cost isn't an issue. I do agree that most of the channels are trash, but I will pay the extra cost for the two channels that I want if need be.
TVsMO
Howdy!
I'm working on this story today and would love to talk to parents about losing Nickelodeon. Seems to me that's the biggest loss in this showdown. Don't mean to intrude in the debate, just know there are parents on the board and wanted to reach out.

979-268-1497
oder@kbtx.com

Thanks,
-Michael Oder
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
but I will pay the extra cost for the two channels that I want if need be.

Oh, if only a la carte subscriptions existed. But that's not the way these conglomerates operate.

That's why we in B/CS have the LHN shoved down our throats: ESPN bundled the SEC Network and the LHN together and gave no one a choice but to take on that abortion of a channel.
redd38
AG
I watch LHN more than Nickelodeon
jja79
AG
But you don't have to watch it. There are probably other channels they bundle that you don't watch.
biobioprof
quote:
quote:
but I will pay the extra cost for the two channels that I want if need be.

Oh, if only a la carte subscriptions existed. But that's not the way these conglomerates operate.

That's why we in B/CS have the LHN shoved down our throats: ESPN bundled the SEC Network and the LHN together and gave no one a choice but to take on that abortion of a channel.
Can't find the link, but last night I read somewhere that Viacom offered a different provider a la carte channel selections, but the price of that was even higher.
ksp
quote:
Howdy!
I'm working on this story today and would love to talk to parents about losing Nickelodeon. Seems to me that's the biggest loss in this showdown. Don't mean to intrude in the debate, just know there are parents on the board and wanted to reach out.

979-268-1497
oder@kbtx.com

Thanks,
-Michael Oder
Slow news day???

Wow if this is what journalism has come to. Just Wow.

Oder....So miss ma'am, how is junior doing with the loss of his beloved nick jr??

Concerned parent...OH my he is just devastated, I mean no sponge bob or Patrick, I mean what else is he supposed to do?

Oder.....There there, it will get better. Maybe the sides will agree soon.

All in jest of course.
rcannaday
AG
WSJ Story .... forget sudden link or Dish just get a Roku and call it a day, after all we are getting a Gigigabit service here...
Scooley01
AG
The only cable company in town dropping a major provider is news. He didn't say it would be a 20 minute segment. Obviously it's 'news' or it wouldn't be such a hot subject today on MyBCS.
Broncos
Suddenlink has an invalid argument for dropping Viacom. They say that Viacom wanted 50% more from Suddenlink which is unfair to their business. Too bad Suddenlink is going to continue to charge the consumer the same amount even though they are losing channels.

Sounds about right.
rc_cat
I'm already receiving most of the "replacement channels" in the extended tier (or whatever it's called), so that's not doing anything for me. I'll be paying the same amount for a lot fewer channels - I have just the tiniest hunch SL won't be dropping prices anytime soon.

It's a lose-lose situation - if I decided to watch any of the missing shows on Amazon prime, etc, then I'll hit my data cap on suddenlink internet and have to pay extra for that.

Screwed any way you look at it - thanks, Suddenlink.
taxpreparer
AG
I have Suddenlink and I won't be missing any of these channels. It might actually decrease my cost per channel as I might watch one or two of the replacements.

The world isn't ending and if you can't accept this, pick another provider. It looks like the posters most upset by this are the same ones who are already least happy with SL.
75AG
AG
SL is bringing on new stations, so I'm concerned prices will not drop. I gave SL a try, but now returning to DIrecTV. The only loss is no Channel 13 from Houston, and the loss of KBTX in HD.
anaggiemom
S
Who is going to tell my 4 yr. old granddaughter that she can no longer watch Peppa Pig at MawMaw's house?
biobioprof
If I had grandkids, this might get me to read to them more often

nah, we'd just bond by watching the SEC network
Robert Vollmert
quote:
SL is bringing on new stations, so I'm concerned prices will not drop. I gave SL a try, but now returning to DIrecTV. The only loss is no Channel 13 from Houston, and the loss of KBTX in HD.

So, go. How many more times will you tell us? Just curious.
75AG
AG
quote:
quote:

So, go. How many more times will you tell us? Just curious.
Seven more times. I stop at 10.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Thanks to the Simpsons, I've already watched FXX more in the past month than I have all MTV, VH1, Spike, TV Land, BET or CMT programming in the past decade combined.

Sounds like a fair tradeoff to me.

And again, it's a lose-lose for Suddenlink because no matter what they do, a vocal contingent of posters on this board would be here *****ing about them anyway.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
WSJ Story .... forget sudden link or Dish just get a Roku and call it a day, after all we are getting a Gigigabit service here...

Thanks for the story link. It actually looks worse for Viacom than SuddenLink. Other (although smaller) operators have dropped Viacom, too.
Scooley01
AG
How is everyone complaining about hitting the SL data cap by streaming video? I live in a house with 3 other adults, and every single one of us streams netflix/amazon prime/youtube, and we've never hit the cap.

The only time I've ever even seen the cap hit was at my old house, when my roommate decided to marathon the entire series of LOST in as short of time as possible. (A little over a week, IIRC).
The Anchor
AG
quote:
How is everyone complaining about hitting the SL data cap by streaming video? I live in a house with 3 other adults, and every single one of us streams netflix/amazon prime/youtube, and we've never hit the cap.

The only time I've ever even seen the cap hit was at my old house, when my roommate decided to marathon the entire series of LOST in as short of time as possible. (A little over a week, IIRC).

This confused me as well. It seems people don't do anything but stream. They never read or go outside.
Builder93
AG
Nickelodeon in the morning is like giving your kid's brain powdered donuts and Pepsi for breakfast. When our kids were small, we banned that channel after it made us all dumber from watching it.
fcag
AG
Youtube, when streaming in HD, is a huge bandwidth hog. I've tracked it through my router and seen it go over 5GB/hour at 720P. When you drop it down to lower resolution, it's not bad at all.

We've got 2 adults and 5 kids in the house and this is our usage over the last year. We hit the cap twice and the next one will cost $10/50GB of overage.

MiMi
S
quote:
I've tracked it through my router and seen it go over 5GB/hour at 720P.

For those of us with limited technology expertise, how can I see my use in realtime? We are a family of 5 and went from 2.2 GB used on Monday to 23.8 used yesterday. I have the router unplugged most of the day - just available in the evenings for approximately 3 hours. I'd like to know which child is using it up so quickly.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.