Amway/Quixstar

2,640 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by ksp
texasdaughter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone know any amway/quixstar reps in our town?
Finding X
I saw an Amway meeting sign at the Hilton last time I was there... Check with them and see if they can give you a contact.

Aggiefan89
I'm actually an Amway distributor.
FlyRod
Had one of the Mexican dudes who works on my landscaping from time to time try and get me hooked up with Quixstar...claims it was like his ship come in, that it would lift him miraculously out of his working class life. He kept aggressively trying to convince me to quit my (6 figure) job and go in on it with him. I politely declined. He appears to have gone back to clearing brush and doing odd jobs.

I always chuckle when I see the name Quixstar now...
Madden
Cults
91_Aggie
AG
do people actually really still get involved in this pyramid schemes?!?!
Finding X
Pyrimid Scheme =/= MLM

I am not involved with Amway but I have looked at the business. (a few times)
It is or can be a great model for people like that landscaper to actually do well and improve their lives.

Amway has great products. The business model offers the same tax benefits you would have in any business whether it is a MLM, online business, or brick and mortar store.

It does have a stigma associated with it >> NOT because of the Products or the Company >> but because of certain people in that business. (Same reason there are Aggie Jokes!)
There are different personality types, these are the ones that have talked with me about it:
  • The families that are "trying it out" and try to get their family & friends involved. Working it as a way to generate a supplemental income.
  • The Religious Sect's that look at it as a way to spread their religious messages.
  • The Business minded person that see it as a low cost start up with tax benefits and write offs.
Maybe I am just an easy target but I have had Amway along with about 3 other MLM's pitched at me. The others were pretty sketchy but Amway has been around since the 50's and the founders have sat as chairmen of the US Chamber of Commerce. That carries some weight.

I think if I didn't already have multiple businesses and no time, it would be an attractive option. Unfortunately, like most low cost start up businesses >> A lot of people get into it excited like their hair is on fire and then when they find out that there is actual work involved and it is uncomfortable, they stop working and start complaining. That thing they thought was the "Answer" to their financial problems is now just another financial problem!I actually have a lot of respect for people like the gardener! It takes a lot of guts for someone like him to talk to people like Flyrod.

I have been in business for a lot of years and one of my favorite quote's is by Ben Franklin.
"Any Fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - And most fools do."
The other is favorite quote is "There has never been a statue erected in honor of a critic." - Zig Ziglar
curry97
AG
Hey Aggiefan, I need some PreWash!
Aggiefan89
Curry97 here's my site amway.com/pipkinmarketing if you'd rather deal personally you can get my email on my site as well.

An Find X that's a gray way to put it. Couldn't have said it better myself!
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
I'm actually an Amway distributor

I heard psychological treatments can cure that.

Prayers sent.
lightswitch
Reading the above post decided to post a little personal history:

I was pitched and eventually joined Amway in the 90's, while in the armed forces. I was thinking it would be a good income generator when I got out and go to college.

Initially, it was a good experience. People skills, increased knowledge of business. Started becoming pretty good at getting people in. I just talk to them honestly and presented it as I saw the business at that time.

But the more exposure I had with the upline, (and those who signed up your upline), I started to see what people meant by cult-ish. For example: on more than one occasion, it was implied, directly and indirectly, that if your relatives didn't want to join, or if they had unfavorable things to say about the business, then what kind of family are they?

The final bullet, or nail in the coffin, for my Amway journey was when we went to the big regional Amway conference in Salt Lake City. I thought, with good reason, I would be taught ways to grow our business, get some good advise, and get some uplifting inspiration to reach our goals.

Instead, there was a line of Republicans (Ronald Regan, Dave from Wendy's, Mary Lou Retton, etc), bashing on the then presidential candidate, Bill Clinton. Which is fine I guess, I suppose the higher ups have their own political agenda. But it for 30 hours strait, no breaks, throughout the night. But I was thinking throughout, that eventually, they will talk about the business. Nope, still more political rhetoric with little to no information about how to get better about business.

A side story: at the meeting, it was said that we should not support McDonald's because they give to welfare. After asking, what was that was about, they were referring to the Ronald McDonald House. If you don't know about the Ronald McDonald House, look it up, see what they do, and maybe you'd understand how f***-ed up the thought processes of some of these people are.

After thinking about it for a while, I decided it wasn't for me and contacted my upline and said I was out. Unlike a cult, they eventually relented after a couple of months, and quit trying to get me in the fold.

Well, there it is, I hope it helps.

FlyRod
Lightswitch.
Madden
I was asked to join over a year ago, actually pushed in to a corner at a get together one night. The more I said "No", the more they questioned my manhood because I wasn't doing what I needed to do to support my future? Yeah, haven't talked to those folks since
frito bandito
Amway stories...

Went through a period where we were hit up three times in a couple of months; must have been a pod operating in the area (Dallas in the late 80's). I was lied to by a friend to get me to the third meeting. The minute the "speaker" started talking; I knew what was coming, and I got up and left. The speaker followed me out; and as I approached my car, the he handed me a cassette tape, and asked me to listen to it. When I got home, I threw the tape away.

A couple of days later, the speaker called me and asked me what I thought of the tape. I told him that I thought it was probably in the landfill, as they had picked up the garbage the day before. He protested, saying that the tape had cost him money. I told him that was the cost of doing business, and I never wanted to hear from him again. A few days later, my "friend" approached me about reimbursing speaker guy for the tape. My response was I don't pay for things that were given to me as a gift.
FlyRod
That was beautiful.
Diamond Geezer
I was also lied to by a "friend" to get me to a meeting. The way my friend talked about "this guy who was really cool and had something unbelievable to show us," I seriously thought maybe he was going to do some magic for us. And my friend wouldn't elaborate no matter how many times I asked. There was going to be BBQ, so whatever. I show up in casual clothes, and everybody else there was in at least a blazer. Seems my friend was less forthcoming to me than the people who had invited all of the other suckers who showed up.

We sit down to dinner, and the "BBQ" was Shake and Bake chicken, sort of a metaphor for this whole horrible experience. When the head guy started drawing all of these circles on his portable chalkboard, I knew immediately what was going on. Just so shocked I had been duped and out of deference for my "friend" who obviously wanted this head guy's approval, I sat through the whole thing.

Before this I had a lot of respect for my friend and viewed him as an intelligent and successful guy. That went out the window that evening when I saw how brainwashed he was with all of this bunk. I hid my anger from him, but I never talked to him again. I believe the reason he never talked to me again was that when I pointed out the flaws of all of this potential income, the head guy made some remark that I was an "Anti." Again very cultish behavior, and it's not a stretch for me to think he encouraged my friend to stay away from me.
Ronnie Gardocki
Are they the same people who were selling vacuum cleaners door to door in CS around 99 or 2000? I had one guy come to my door three times in one week (same man) wanting to come in and give us a demonstration. The last time I told him to never come on my property again, he was a very strange person.
ksp
that would be Kirby most likely
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.