CS goes for a new City Hall again

20,844 Views | 178 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Kendall Rogers
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Front page of the paper this morning. Last time, they gave up on it after an outcry over costs for the "Taj-macity Hall." This time they're approaching it differently, with studies showing a new facility will outweigh maintenance costs on existing structures.

Things have probably changed enough the last four years or so that they get it through this time. There's not the concern over large property purchases like Chimney Hill. They paint a sad picture of existing facilities in the article.

Bond election set for 2015 that might pay for it. I bet they get it through this time. The current CC has shown to be more prudent with the city's money.
TEXAS A and M
This is one of the many reasons I have purchased land and will be moving out of College Station soon.
95_Aggie
AG
Navasota has a better city hall than CS.

quote:
This is one of the many reasons I have purchased land and will be moving out of College Station soon.

well bye

rhoswen
AG
Friendly city, indeed.
95_Aggie
AG
That's quite a compliment coming from one of the friendliest people on this board.
Marlin39m
I haven't read the article yet. Will the city sell the land that city hall sits on now? I would think that it is valuable enough to pay for much of a new building on other, existing city land. Doubt that will happen, though.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Meh, city hall is vastly outdated. They've added Fire Stations 4, 5, and 6 and rebuilt Stations 1,2, and 3 in the past 20 years. A shiny new city hall wouldn't be a bad thing.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I haven't read the article yet. Will the city sell the land that city hall sits on now? I would think that it is valuable enough to pay for much of a new building on other, existing city land. Doubt that will happen, though.

The article does not say. It does indicate they're cramped, out of space, files & boxes in the hallway, mold & mildew everywhere, mouse droppings hither & yon, and overall pitiful conditions over there.
Mr. Griswold
I do not work at city hall but I do want our city center and other city buildings to be representative of our city as a whole. The current building is indeed pitiful. I would happily vote to build a new one and in fact, am not opposed to the so-called "Taj Mahal."
I don't want to pay for a Taj Mahal, and having an eye popping destination city building will not improve the city. I had to chuckle at the line about the high utility bill for the old, leaky building because at least part of the reason for the higher bill is that the city charges more for electricity than many other cities. Of course, the CS electricity is probably 'better' than most electricity so I should take pride in that!
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I don't want to pay for a Taj Mahal, and having an eye popping destination city building will not improve the city. I had to chuckle at the line about the high utility bill for the old, leaky building because at least part of the reason for the higher bill is that the city charges more for electricity than many other cities. Of course, the CS electricity is probably 'better' than most electricity so I should take pride in that!

At the risk of chasing a rabbit, does anybody know if utility bills for city property include the kickbacks to the general fund, or are they exempt from the surcharge?
Magic Mike
The "article" in the eagle was spoonfed to the writer by someone at city hall. I say we just throw out some portable buildings behind city hall and make them turn the thermostats up 3 degrees.

Why on earth does the mayor and council members need personal offices for?
Post removed:
by user
NashMan
I suspect there will be enough people this time who will vote yes, unfortunately.
Fonzie Scheme
AG
Unfortunately? I'm all for being good stewards of public funds but there's no shame in having a city hall that is nice. The one there now needs to be replaced. Thankfully, there isn't some Music Man at the Arts Council who's pulling the strings this time.
ksp
Our is outdated, but it does not need to uber scale either. make it nice, make it with some room to grow into.

It does not need to be on a scale like traditions. Put in on a scale like shenandoah subdivision. Nice with very few frills.
GoneGirl
AG
City hall is a dump. My office used to flood every time it rained heavy. I couldn't leave anything on the floor or it would get ruined. I had rats and other critters living under the floor. There was no hot water in the bathrooms.

I can't imagine it's gotten much better in the last 8 years.

Build something nice that appropriately represents your community.
Diamond Geezer
quote:
Unfortunately? I'm all for being good stewards of public funds but there's no shame in having a city hall that is nice. The one there now needs to be replaced. Thankfully, there isn't some Music Man at the Arts Council who's pulling the strings this time.

This made me laugh.
FlyRod
Nice looking city halls.
threecatcorner
They need a bigger room and more parking for when they have public meetings, but it doesn't need to be huge or fancy. They do need to do basic upkeep and better planning to deal with problems someone mentioned above (keep rain and animals out).
SARATOGA
seems like they could just meet in a rented space for their meetings rather than owning a building.

I vote no.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
seems like they could just meet in a rented space for their meetings rather than owning a building.

I vote no.

Seems like renting office and storage places would cost way more than owning their own building over the long term.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:

I vote no.

You know a lot more happens in City Hall than just City Council Meetings, right?
AgFan1999
AG
Don't feed the SARATROLLGA, TxElsie.
GreenGuy
How about leasing or buying this?

http://rsleasingbcs.com/offices/compass-bank-building

It's probably big enough and usually seems pretty empty. I could be wrong about that though.

I agree with most. We don't need a new building, but the current City Hall is pretty pathetic and has problems that regular maintenance can only cover-up for so long.
justalocal
The city does own the shopping center between the Hilton and the old Albertson's. Are the empty suites not something they could utilize?

It sometimes makes me wonder whether city officials turn their nose up at existing properties because they want brand spankin' new. Unfortunately, the issue here is not just at city hall. Also, there are city buildings that have meeting rooms that are probably larger than the current council chambers, is that not something that can be utilized? Sure, the podiums wouldn't be there but the city has the capability to put out microphones for each council member. Or, again, does it all come down to being grandiose and new?
duffelpud
AG
Here's an adequate looking facility that could be built cheaply and quickly.

Better yet, why not just meet online and forget the whole antiquated concept of the 'gathering of the tribal council'?
Anna Molly
There was a previous ballot measure for an expensive city hall. It was soundly defeated, and rightly so.
The existing city hall is old, short on space, leaks energy according to the article, and let's face it it's just plain ugly.
Just because those 2 things are true, it does not follow that ANY future city hall must be a Taj Mahal. Bryan has a quite large city hall. I don't hear anyone calling that building a Taj Mahal.

Current city hall is pathetic and has problems that can't be addressed w/ maintenance, but a new building isn't necessary? What's your alternative then?

The shopping center between Hilton and old Albertsons is being sold. Remember the hue & cry raised about existing tenants in that space when the property was bought? Well, those tenants would be forced out if the complex was turned into a City Hall. I'm sure there would be outrage then over the big bad city turning the businesses out to starve.

Online City Council meetings? Great! Why would we want to address our elected officials face to face, anyway? Some recent City council meetings have had virtual/online participation by Council members. However, not all of their constituents have access to something like Skype, and making that the only option takes away the ability to address your elected officials in person.

Portable buildings? Really? Portable buildings and rental of office space are NOT financially feasible in the long-term.
nwspmp
Not that I disagree with the points, but the Bryan City Hall is called the Pink Palace. Surely that's at least somewhat equivalent to Taj Mahal, in the grand scheme of royalty-themed municipal building nicknames
Anna Molly
Good point, nwspmp. I forgot about that nickname. Thanks for the laugh.
justalocal
How much is the land between the Hilton & Albertson's being sold for? If I remember correctly is was purchased for about 20 million and then when the whole hotel/conference center agenda was nixed by ballot there was some talk that the land value was about half that. I get that property values fluctuate but it seems like it wasn't a good purchase from the beginning just lots of wishful thinking.
Lamp Shade
Empty Office MAX
Empty Albertsons on University
Old westinghouse is half empty

There are plenty of alternatives other than a new building.
Lamp Shade
Whatever they decide.

It needs to be placed on the ballot in the general election or the week after tax day.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Better yet, why not just meet online and forget the whole antiquated concept of the 'gathering of the tribal council'?

Because it is against the law?
FlyRod
We are not a rinky dink little backwater, and therefore shouldn't have a city hall that reflects a rinky dink little backwater. Its really that simple.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.