Smitty K's

24,929 Views | 107 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Lex
TARDIS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We went there last night and were very pleased with the experience! Interior was great with tons of tv's and plenty of seating inside and out on the porch area. We had the smoked turkey plate and hamburger, both of which we would order again. The bar was steady pumping out mixed drinks and beer, though I didn't look at the drink menu/prices. Staff was attentive and kept our drinks filled, even apologizing for a wait that I thought was still very short. One of the owners came out to check on everything and was very personable.

10/10 would go to again! I'm always excited to see a small business succeed, especially when its off the beaten path.
MW13
AG
We had the burger and chicken strips and both were really good. Fries were awesome. I've heard good things about the chicken fried steak but I was too full to try it. I like the beer selection too. Great place to watch games. WIll be back.
cuppycup
AG
Queso pasta
AGnBCS
AG
Good burger/steak fries and service was great not to mention Karbach on tap.

I'll be back
BigBubba
AG
Had a great burger there tonight. Loved the option to add a fried egg!

I'll be going back.
TravelinAg76
AG
Visited there yesterday for lunch. Great food, excellent service from Brittni(sp?), great beers on tap. Owners came to talked to us personally to make sure we were taken care of. Tons of TV's and we watched some of the Arkansas game!

Keep up the good work guys!
AggieRebel
AG
Thanks guys, glad yall enjoyed it! We'll have daily lunch specials starting next week as well as Texas Tuesdays ($1 off any alcohol made in Texas). We'll also be open at 10 this Saturday to watch the Ags BTHO MS State!
ksp
Went last night, based on reviews I was expecting a little more of a sports bar, but overall I will go back for sure, hopefully they will keeping making changes and adding things .

the good...

1) V. attentive staff, our waitress was on top of our drinks all night. I forget her name, but she did great and left her a $20 on out $40 tab.
2) good amount of room inside and outside the place.
3) my cheeseburger was good, the onion rings freaking rocked
4) the damnit Jim is a good beer
5) this is close to my house, even though I had a DD!

What I "HOPE" they add.....

It's a sports bar, get some...

1) Darts boards on the inside, especially for the summer months
2) pool table or two inside
3) a shuffleboard table inside.

corn hole and the other outside games are great for spring and fall IMO, but during peak summer months if I am outside I am around water some where, not sweating my arse off playing cornhole while my beer warms to hot in 3 minutes.

with all that said I highly recommend you stop by here, check it out and I really look forward to seeing this place grow.

P.S. this is not a knock on the place at all, I know they just opened, was just kind of taken back that there was no SPORT things (games) on the inside aside of about 20 Tvs.
halibut sinclair
quote:
sports bar
noun
noun: sports bar; plural noun: sports bars
  • a bar where televised sporting events are shown continuously.

• ksp
    I can watch games, sing karaoke, play shuffleboard and darts right across the street, provided I want to push my way the cigarette smoke fog (I'll omit name out of respect for rebel)

But other sport bar in town do have these games to play while swilling beer.
    halibut sinclair
    quote:
    But other sport bar in town do have these games to play while swilling beer.
    That doesn't make it a sports bar.
    ksp
    No but it is a bar that will get more of my business.

again not a knock, but without added things for me to do in the future, I won't go back.

In fact the party I was with was ready to head to yesterdays where we could do all these things while watching sports on TV when I said lets stay and try it out.

Not my business to run or my livelihood, but when the entire party was ready to leave because of that, I promise you we are not the only ones thinking that.

rebel is wise I am sure and make whatever changes he feels is deemed necessary, again it is new.

Staying Status quo will get you run out of town, thinking outside the box and constantly trying to get better, makes business succeed in this town.

Rebel can take the feedback as good, bad or indifferent and proceed forward how he chooses.
    new straw
    When I hear "Sports bar," I expect lots of televisions. NOT a bunch of stuff to do. Usually when you go to a sports bar, your plan is to watch a specific game or sport. Anyway, the sports bar argument is quite funny to me.
    ksp
    Maybe I am barking up the wrong tree, maybe we should remove the corn hole games and such and add more Tvs!
    Preferred Nomenclature
    AG
    quote:
    the onion rings freaking rocked

For real. The onion rings were insanely good.
    AggieRebel
    AG
    You're not the first person to ask about a pool table, and we were even offered a free one. But we don't have room for a pool table or darts without getting rid of tables and tables bring in more money. We'll have big buck hunter, corn hole and washers but you'll have to go to the beer joint for pool. By the way, we like the beer joint guys so no need to omit their name here
    ksp
    Mark and Brian are personal friends of mine, But wanted to keep your name only in it.
    jmz768
    It's a nice place, but beer prices are too damn high. There's no way that a Corona should cost $4.50.
    tbone94
    AG
    I thought the food was good for bar food, great atmosphere, friendly staff and owners.

FlyRod
    I wouldn't pay 45 cents for a Corona. $4.50 is kinda expensive for this town.
    jmz768
    I used Corona as an example because it's so common and far from anything special. Charging $4.50 for a bottle of beer, especially on a Sunday afternoon, is ridiculous.
    gutmancometh
    AggieRebel
    AG
    jmz,
    We don't pull these prices out of thin air. Like most places, we have a cost-based formula we use to establish prices. Beer prices from the distributors just went up across the board, plus corona is an import so it's going to be more expensive than the $2.75 domestics. We're a small place geared more towards food so we don't have the luxury of being able to sell beer dirt cheap and make it up on volume.
    halibut sinclair
    As an example, Premium beer brands are $4 at Willie's Icehouse. I'd rather pay a little more and support the local guys.

Plus, the food and service are excellent.

LOL at being worried about getting a JEEP a little dusty.
    malibu9in1
    Food and service was great.
    FlyRod
    quote:
    I'd rather pay a little more and support the local guys.

If you mean locally made beer like New Republic, I agree.
    halibut sinclair
    No, I mean the local owners of Smitty K's. But I think you knew that.

Of course, you can order a New Republic beer there if you'd like.
    MW13
    jmz768
    You can go into almost any other bar or restaurant in town and get a Corona for $3.50 most of the time, and even less if there's a happy hour special. You'll find this same disparity if you compare the prices of your other drink offerings. Loyalty to a locally owned business, especially one off the beaten path, is only going to take you so far. If Smitty's is going to survive, you're going to have to be competitive with the plethora of other bars and restaurants around town. In the end volume is what's going to make your business profitable.

Here's what you're up against.....

http://www.drinkowl.com/us/college-station/drink-specials/monday
    AggieRebel
    AG
    jmz,
    Not sure what to tell you, bud. We aren't shotzis or madhatters or the corner or daisy dukes or any of the other northgate bars on that link you provided, nor are we trying to be. We are a family friendly restaurant and we do well with the crowd who wants to eat and have a few drinks but specifically don't want to deal with northgate. Hell, John David Crow was in here today for lunch (pic on our FB page for proof) and his group said they'll "definitely be back" so if JDC likes us we can't be all bad.
    jmz768
    You have 4 reviews on Yelp, 2 of those specifically mention the high prices and another says that you need to make up your mind as to what type of place you want to have. I've also had a few friends check out the place and they've also mentioned the prices.

I'm not trying to be a hater here, I'm just giving an opinion as somebody that has been to your establishment. You guys built a nice place, but it's a sports bar, not a family restaurant. Throw in a couple pool tables and dart boards, enclose the patio area for winter use, run daily drink specials, and you have a good shot at making it. There are a lot of people in this town that want a place to go that isn't overrun with college kids, and there are not a lot of options.

Again, no hard feelings and I wish you the best of luck.
    txyaloo
    AG
    quote:
    You have 4 reviews on Yelp, 2 of those specifically mention the high prices and another says that you need to make up your mind as to what type of place you want to have.
    Yelp also holds positive reviews hostage unless you advertise with them. They've been sued for this a few times.

http://www.yelp.com/not_recommended_reviews/smitty-ks-college-station

That's all of their reviews. Most are 4-5 star.
    EliteElectric
    jmz, in fairness that link you posted has drink specials from an establishment that has been out of business for 3 years. You can't possibly expect SK's to compare with 2011 prices can you?
    aggmaroon
    AG
    txyaloo - That was very interesting. I had no idea that Yelp did that. Thanks!
    jmz768
    As for the Yelp reviews, this will explain things. http://www.yelp-support.com/article/Why-are-different-reviews-recommended-on-different-days?l=en_US
    Last Page
    Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.