Napa Flats

15,363 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by techno-ag
OnlyANobody
How long do you want to ignore this user?
quote:
quote:
we never got any bread at all

The table bread is complementary, but it is by request only.

Apparently, it would be helpful if people knew to request it. Keeping it a secret makes it not so much complimentary, but rather "on demand"
halibut sinclair
They are not the only restaurant that does this. If you want bread, ask for it.
FlyRod
Yep. Veritas does this as well.
Expert Analysis
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
we never got any bread at all

The table bread is complementary, but it is by request only.

Apparently, it would be helpful if people knew to request it. Keeping it a secret makes it not so much complimentary, but rather "on demand"
It says it on the menu. Bread by request only is becoming more common at nicer places.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
Bread by request only is becoming more common at nicer places.
Same at Paolo's.

Delicious bread. But you have to ask for it. Not that big a deal.
techno-ag
AG
Seems cheap for them not to at least ask if you want bread. The onus should not be on the customer.
halibut sinclair
Disagree.
diet c
AG
Great food, great atmosphere. Did not know about the bread request. Been there many times. Will request it next visit.
FlyRod
A lot of bread gets wasted when offered, for a variety of reasons. If the customer is always right then the onus is on the customer to ask. It's not like people who ask are being refused bread. Veritas does this and it's never been an issue there, except maybe for a few negative Nancies.
AggiePirate
AG
It's definitely no Barnhills (RIP)
originaltexan
When you first voiced your comments to the manager, what did he/she say?
91_Aggie
AG
I think it would be better customer service if the waitstaff, when coming to get your drink order, would ask: "Would you like some bread?"

If they are worried about bread going to waste (which should just be considered as part of the cost of doing business and worked into their pricing), then this solves it easily and makes for a better dining experience.

New customers will not know that is even an option, and repeat customers who used to just get it without asking may think that it just isn't offered anymore, and also they will/may feel awkward for asking about it... people like free stuff, but having to ask for it does cause some social anxiety about be perceived as "cheap" or "petty" for asking.

Simple, elegant solution that solves the waste problem and creates delighted customers.

But having the "secret free bread, but only if you ask for it" policy is stupid.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
But having the "secret free bread, but only if you ask for it" policy is stupid.
What if it states quite clearly on the menu "Bread Available Upon Request"?
halibut sinclair
quote:

New customers will not know that is even an option

It's on the menu - "Table bread upon request".
FlyRod
^This.

It always strikes me as strange when people go to a restaurant and complain about prices. Presumably like the bread notice, they are posted on the menu, or in some places, in the windows, so you should have a clear sense of cost before you dine.

Like students who fail to read the syllabus, its just amazing how many people fail to read the menu...
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
^This.

It always strikes me as strange when people go to a restaurant and complain about prices. Presumably like the bread notice, they are posted on the menu, or in some places, in the windows, so you should have a clear sense of cost before you dine.

Like students who fail to read the syllabus, its just amazing how many people fail to read the menu...

No reason to throw a blimp out on this.

let's keept it out about bread. Restaurant is making it difficult for customer to get it.

Instead of concentrating on giving good customer service, restaurant is trying to save a bit of money on the bread.

Again, all it takes is the waitress to say: Would you like some bread? when taking the drink orders.

Bam! Customer knows about it... doesn't have to search the menu for it, and can decline or accept.

Why would you argue against this?

FlyRod
Why would someone argue reading a menu is hard?

And if the restaurant is "making it hard to get bread," why isn't there a mass outcry about this, multiple complaints on Yelp and Tripadvisor, etc.?

There are 94 reviews on yelp. I scanned the negative ones, and saw quite a few general references to service (which I agree with), but nothing about bread.
UmustBKidding
I agree, what is it about the BREAD.
Was calling an order into Johnny Carrino's a while back night for my wife. They asked if I wanted bread and I indicated yes. It had always been included it in the past. They indicated it would now cost $1 if I did not order at least two entrees. I told them to keep the bread and the $15 entree and $5 dessert also.
So every time my wife asks me to pick her something up I now deliberately go elsewhere. According to quicken I spent over $700 there last year, and it will now be going to other establishments. Hope their $1 bread works out for them, or maybe the Papa's brothers can buy the place on the cheap when it doesn't. Don't know if this applies to the dining room, but won't be going to find out.
Sorry about the thread derail, or maybe not

FlyRod
Sounds like its time for a "restaurants that offer free bread or not" thread.
justalocal
Free bread? Doubt it. The bread is for paying customers, I cannot just walk into a place and ask for the free bread and water. I've actually tried that to prove a point to a family member. Doesn't work. The cost of the bread is absorbed in the cost of your meal.
Tradishun
quote:
Seems cheap for them not to at least ask if you want bread. The onus should not be on the customer.

It's certainly no match for the GoCo, where they now send you home with SIX FREE YEAST ROLLS! (And I bet you don't have to ask for them, do you?)
techno-ag
AG
quote:
quote:

It's certainly no match for the GoCo, where they now send you home with SIX FREE YEAST ROLLS! (And I bet you don't have to ask for them, do you?)

Eh. That's a buffet.
K2T2
quote:
I agree, what is it about the BREAD.
Was calling an order into Johnny Carrino's a while back night for my wife. They asked if I wanted bread and I indicated yes. It had always been included it in the past. They indicated it would now cost $1 if I did not order at least two entrees. I told them to keep the bread and the $15 entree and $5 dessert also.
So every time my wife asks me to pick her something up I now deliberately go elsewhere. According to quicken I spent over $700 there last year, and it will now be going to other establishments. Hope their $1 bread works out for them, or maybe the Papa's brothers can buy the place on the cheap when it doesn't. Don't know if this applies to the dining room, but won't be going to find out.
Sorry about the thread derail, or maybe not
Wow. Really? A(n upfront, not hidden sneaky) dollar added on to an already $20 meal for something you get to tangibly feel and eat is THAT big of a deal? So basically you're telling your wife, screw you, I'm petty and I'm not going to get you those meals you actually want because I'm a cheap ******* - but I love you, as per our legal agreement!

Read, be mindful, and get a pizza and get lots and lots and lots of those little roasty tomatoes with it!

GUH!
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Why would someone argue reading a menu is hard?

And if the restaurant is "making it hard to get bread," why isn't there a mass outcry about this, multiple complaints on Yelp and Tripadvisor, etc.?

There are 94 reviews on yelp. I scanned the negative ones, and saw quite a few general references to service (which I agree with), but nothing about bread.

No one is arguing this, except you. It's a blimp you've thrown up. You are the one making the absurd analogy of the restaurant experience to a college course and menus to syllabi.

Let's see, I'm a student that's going to be in a class for a full semester... maybe I should read this syllabus.

"Let's see, I'm a restaurant goer, I'm gonna be at this restaurant for maybe 45 minutes, maybe I should read every part of the menu to make sure I know the terms and conditions about the bread situation."

Or, a service oriented business could make the experience delightful for the restaurant goer and tell them about the freakin' free bread!

justalocal
GAH! Free bread...like nails on a chalk board.
FlyRod
Or people could realize restaurants are businesses, not charities. The level of entitlement in our society today just gets more and more amazing.

If you can't get your "freebies" eat elsewhere. Napa Flats won't miss you I suspect.

And FTR I haven't eaten any blimps, and therefore haven't "thrown up" any.

HTH
FlyRod
Coveted blue diamond for K2T2.
techno-ag
AG

"You shouldn't refuse to offer bread for free. It makes you look cheap!"
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.