Help-maybe moving to CS

2,273 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by FlyRod
SVaggie84
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My husband (California native) and I are considering possibly moving from the San Francisco Bay Area to College Station after our twins graduate from high school. I have lots of questions.

1) how would a politically conservative very nature loving Californian do living in CS. I'm thinking okay if we can get a house with some land, but he lives to hike, and I don't know where he would do that.

2) we will still need to work some. We both have degrees in Computer Science. He's worked in the industry for many years, and I quit to raise our kids. I'm thinking he could do contract work, but are there any other options? I would like to do something. I work a few hours a week for my church, but will want to do more after my twins graduate.

3) i think one of my daughters will go to community college for a year to get in-state tuition. She's got some special needs. She's maintained a 4.0 at a top private school in San Jose, but i am worried about her adjusting to Texas. She's different, but very sweet. She loves A&M, and is very enthusiastic about the idea of moving. However, making friends is difficult, and she would like a part time job.

As a note, my son is a junior at A&M. He wants us to move. He thinks we'd be happier out of California.

ksp
1) Anything is better than cali. tons of state parks and nature areas within the surrounding areas. A yearly state park pass can be bought for $75, gives access to every state park for one year.
2) anything is better than cali
3) Conservative area for sure, and anything is better than cali
minpin04
I love the CA coast, especially San Fran down Through Big Sur. Hiking in Tx will not be anything like that area. I like to hike the TX State Parks, especially Inks Lake. Inks Lake is 3 hours from here. I used to hike Bastrop but have not been back since the forest fire. There are some trails around Lake Conroe but they are flat, still beautiful, especially in the spring/fall. The only times I hike are late fall through April. The summer months are just too hot to do much of anything outside unless you are in the water.

As far as politics, this is a very conservative area. I don't think your daughter would have a hard time adjusting, most people in this area are very friendly. It's a safe community too.
OasisMan
AG
quote:
My husband (California native)....

1) how would a politically conservative...

haha sure
redd38
AG
Hiking and Computer Science jobs are probably both better in Austin. That still puts you close enough to College Station to make a daytrip, but still gives your son some space.
JenniferJennings
I think we are in a great part of Texas...there is a lot to offer within a pretty short drive....the state parks are great, I like Garner...and I have taken the kids to Lake Bryan and enjoyed walking and hiking those trails a few times too....its nice for a quick outdoor fix!

Land in the area can be a bit pricey...how much are you hoping to spend...and how big of a house? I agree that Austin is a great choice too...but again, prices can be high-not California high...but I still have had clients from California that were surprised by our housing prices....
I was a politically conservative resident of Sunnyvale, CA for many years. Then, I moved to College Station and was immediately tagged a liberal nut-job. My positions did not change except for my physical position. Just saying. Even if you were a student here (like I was), you might be surprised at the the level of of conservatism here. I'm not complaining about it but just saying that when you move away you kind of forget just how conservative it is in BCS.

If your husband likes the outdoors, and you are both in tech field, I'd choose Austin over BCS anyday. The traffic sux but not as bad as the Bay area so you won't even notice.
And anyone who says there is decent hiking within an hours drive of BCS does not know what decent hiking is. You are spoiled coming from California. Even if the husband can deal with the landscape, it will be the temps that get him. Texas is good county to get in your pickup and drive with the a/c on and look at nature through the glass.
marrocco
Per 1.618, a conservative friend moved here from Georgia. However, once arriving, she discovered she's a flaming liberal.
Yup,the most liberal of all Texans is still conservative compared to the Californians. I know that it is hard to believe but it is true.
SVaggie84
AG
Thanks everyone. I think maybe I'll push for the Austin area, and maybe Georgetown.

We are pretty much getting forced out of California. He got laid off a few years ago after he had cancer. (Maybe should have sued his company. He had a good case.)

He's at a start up,but they are running out of money. It's time for another job.

If we live in California, he'll have to find a full time stressful job, and I will probably have to work also to make up difference in income from a few years ago. If we move to some place cheaper, we'll be able to mostly live off of our savings.

I'm thinking we can afford around $500K for a home, but I'd like it to be around $350K.

I'm also thinking that we will rent our home in California, and rent a place in Texas. That way, we can make sure we like living there.

I'm thinking he can put up with a lot if he doesn't have to work in Silicon Valley.

My son has easily made the transition to Texas. He's pretty non-political. He hates California now. He thinks the people in California are shallow. I think he would be very happy if he could live in College Station after graduation. I think he's just a small town boy at heart!
JenniferJennings
My brother lives in Austin and is hiring....if you understand this-there may be a job for you!

I'm looking to hire a QA Lead in the very near future. Must have strong JS / Web UI experience. Bonus points for any of the following: Selenium, iOS, or Linux admin/performance.

LOL
SVaggie84
AG
Jennifer - Where can my husband send resume?
techno-ag
AG
I agree with Redd. More jobs in your husband's field are going to be in the Austin area. Lots of California transplants there. Y'all will fit right in.

BCS is great for retirees & Ags who love living here. Unless you have a job offer lined up here, I wouldn't move here looking for work. Simple numbers say Austin, DFW, & Houston will offer more job prospects.
AggieDoc10
AG
I concur with most of these comments, and suspect Austin would be good for an outdoors-person, but I want to add one factor. I grew up on the coast of CA. I am an Aggie and know the area well, though I live away now. The climate may or may not matter. Central Texas, especially BCS, is incredibly humid are rarely cold. I am a runner who thrives in cold and loves nature. For me, it was enough to make me look north. If there were a magic cool button, I would move back in a heartbeat to that area. Some people don't like the heat and humidity but can roll with it. I can't. So you have to ask yourself about that too. Because of your husband's outdoor affinity, it could be a factor. If that doesn't bother you, then get to Texas as fast as you can. With CA cost of living, you will think you died and woke up rich. Okay, maybe not rich, but other than the climate, it's heaven on earth. The climate... well. :-)
JenniferJennings
Here is a link for one of the positions...i think they have a couple of openings...
http://www.authenticjobs.com/jobs/21778/dev-ops-engineer
YellowPot_97
AG

quote:
I'm thinking we can afford around $500K for a home, but I'd like it to be around $350K.

If cost of living is a concern, Austin is WAY more expensive than BCS. 500K there won't buy you what 350K will here. And you will have a real hard time finding any property of size in Austin.
You're not going to have the hiking opportunities in Texas no matter where you live, like you have in CA. But there are still great places all over, you'll just have to drive to get to them. Big Bend is pretty damn awesome, no matter how many times you go! Austin will be closer to the Texas Hill Country and all it's parks, but it's only an extra hour and a half from BCS. If you like forest hiking, East Texas and all it's national forest are close by. The Sam Houston NF and the 130 mile Lone Star Hiking Trail are only 45 minutes from here.
There are pros and cons to both places. I love living here.
RockofAges
Welcome to CSTX
Post removed:
by user
BurnetAg
Consider this130 people move to Austin on a daily basis. The traffic is not worth it and that's why I would choose Houston or DFW area.
ksp
Austin infrastructure it way outgrown. I35 is basically bumper to bumper all day long.

Stayed there for 3 days in July, hotel overlooked downtown and could see I35 all day.

Every time I looked out window after 7am, was solid bumper to bumper traffic and brake lights.

Might want to look there and spend a few days before deciding.

Love to visit, BUT would never ever live there.
FlyRod
Compared with CA, hiking in the immediate BCS area leaves a lot to be desired. A bit further afield and your options grow.

1. The hill country around Austin is famous for hiking.

2. Bastrop is healing from the terrible fires, but is an easy drive from here.

3. To the east off Hwy 21 are some large pine forests, parks that over nice hiking trails.

Those I believe are the closest areas, yet none of them are less than an hour away.

Welcome to the area, its a nice place to live.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.