Best fried chicken?

2,922 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
ComfortAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Recent transplant asked me for a recommendation of a local business with great fried chicken. Since the Country Kitchen is no more, I couldn't think of a single place (local, not franchise). What say you, BCS?
UmustBKidding
I suspect that Shannons knows how to do it but don't remember what day is yard bird day.
halibut sinclair
Butler's Soul Food?
FlyRod
Butler's, Shannon's, the new soul food place (Lamar and Niki's?) are all probably good bets.I think Blackwater Draw may do fried chicken but not sure about that.

Charlie Mac may know some places...he did fried chicken at Stover Brothers Cafe in Village Foods awhile back.
Mathguy64
AG
Sundays at Royer's Roundtop Cafe. Better get there before they open.

edit : yes I know it's not "local" but it's an easy hour ride through nice country and you get pie afterwards.
O.G.
never mind...i miss read....thought you were talking about chicken fried steak.....
Law361
AG
Popeyes. Two pieces for $0.99 on Tuesdays. You can't beat it.
carpe vinum
AG
Ah, Country Kitchen. That's a name I haven't heard in a long time. ~Obi Wan
Longhorn Tavern's is pretty good. Sad to admit, but I can eat a bucket of Col Sanders' by myself.
CharlieMac
Butler's Soul Food.
Max06
AG
Madden's had the best fried chicken and mashed potatoes that I've ever had. It's not on the menu anymore though.
The Good Aggieboy19
AG
Lamar and Niki's is great
Fonzie Scheme
AG
I guess I'm not very well-informed. Other than Shannon's and Popeye's, where are these places of which you speak? Also, Babe's would kill here. Just sayin'.
FlyRod
Another place that just occurred to me might have fried chicken is The Remnant from Nawlins on Hollemann...the little place inside that gas station. I've been there a few times and seem to recall fried chicken on the menu.

Fonzie, Lamar and Niki's is on Tx Ave just north of Villa Maria, on your left...its in the old Hamptons building, small brick building. Their sign is very small so its easy to drive past it. They are open from 11-4 on weekdays and 11-6 weekends.

Butler's is over on Groesbeck near Finfeather. Similar set-ups to both: they make a bunch of food for the day and that's what they serve, mostly soul food. Different specials every day. Butler's is larger and has more on offer. Both are worth checking out.
Crusader
My favorite has always been KFC, but they are WAY overpriced. Bushes Chicken in central Texas is the very best ever, but they don't have a franchise here locally. Maybe we could encourage them to open a store here.
isitjustme
AG
Bush's is great, but they're not here. Luby's was good, but no longer here.

My favorites in order are:

Chicken Express
KFC
Popeyes (would be higher but their pieces are small sometimes)
Church's

Don't really get fried chicken from table service restaurants, so don't know about those.
txyaloo
AG
Monday/Wednesday is fried chicken day at Shannons. Well worth the trip.
Tailgate88
AG
quote:
Another place that just occurred to me might have fried chicken is The Remnant from Nawlins on Hollemann...the little place inside that gas station. I've been there a few times and seem to recall fried chicken on the menu.

I don't know about fried chicken, but thanks for the reminder that this place existed. I tried them for lunch Friday and everything was great. I kind of ordered a sampler pack - got the special (etoufee smothered catfish, dirty rice, jambalaya, seafood gumbo. Everything was really good and well seasoned. I had the rest for leftovers today. I'll definitely be adding them to the lunch rotation.
Scruffy
AG
Where are they on hollaman?
FlyRod
Just a few blocks east from Wellborn. I forget the name of the kinda sketchy gas station they're in. Interesting place.
Scruffy
AG
The had station at 2818, or on down towards where it turns into i&g?
Max06
AG
Holleman & Welsh- I think that's Checkers. It's a Valero station IIIRC
aggiepaintrain
AG
Does ^^ have fried chicken or not ?
Post removed:
by user
NativeTxn
Hamptons? If so, that is now Lamar & Niki's.
RockofAges
Thanks for all the suggestions .
Post removed:
by user
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.