Board people-- where should I live or not live?

6,560 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggiePhil
KidDoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm relocating the family to BCS within the next few months from a rural Texas town. I have a smart nerdy computer oriented 15 year old sophomore who would love more robotics & computer classes than most rural high schools can offer. I will be working off of Hwy 6 & William Fitch Parkway so somewhere in South CS is ideal obviously.

We are searching 250k-350k houses... so what areas or subdivisions should we consider or not consider?

Also are there any good full service moving services people can suggest on personal experience? I have an email into D&D already since they advertise but love to hear anecdotal experiences for these kinds of services.

Oh will also need an electrician recommendation for the future, preferably with Tesla experience. And GOOD internet service is important to the family unit.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
pit2005
GOOD internet connection may be the biggest problem.
MrsGDub04
AG
Congrats on the upcoming move. CS is a great place for a family to live. My family recently moved to CS about 9 months ago, and my first piece of advice would be to find a good realtor that is really knowledgeable about the south CS. When we moved here our realtor spent a whole Saturday driving us around to look at different neighborhoods in CS. There are a lot of nice neighborhoods in south College Station that are in your price range. Pebble Creek, Woodland Hills, Castlegate, etc. I think after going to visit a few houses in each of these neighborhoods you could probably decide pretty quickly what you prefer. Good luck with your move!
DBSwooper
Little Guys moved us last year and they were outstanding to work with. Absolutely would use them again.

Internet options depend on where you live and what services are available in your neighborhood. As for what neighborhood you're looking for, there is a lot of personal preference to be had (obviously). The Aggieland board will give you a mixed bag of nuts and you'll learn from others that you absolutely should stay out of Bryan because that is where all the criminals live and you should live in Bryan because it's a great town, for example.

If you're interested, e-mail me dirtbagswooper at gmail and I can give you a reply that is much less snarky than my usual fare here.
KidDoc
AG
Will send you an email DBSwooper.

ANd yes internet is expected to be an issue. We currently live in the small town with the best internet access in the country.. literally 1 gig up & down. Annoying that a college town is a downgrade from rural Texas.
[URL=http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3760692642][/URL]
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jrhmc
AG
Avoid Indian Lakes. The internet connection is the worst around. We can get the full 50 mbps that Suddenlink advertises in Shenandoah but the houses probably aren't what you're looking for. Pebble Creek might work but I'm not sure what their internet speeds are. We've avoided moving to upgrade the house just because we'd lose so much internet speed and for a house full of gamers, that's just not an option.
birdman
At the high end of your price range, you can get a house in Pebble Creek. Great neighborhood, best schools. You could walk to work.

There are two nice neighborhoods along Fitch, between Hwy 6 and Pebble Creek. I can't remember the name now, maybe Spring Meadow? Those are in your price range.

Indian Lakes is priced out of your budget.
TKDMom
Woodland Hills, just down Fitch behind Lowes is a great neighborhood. My mother in law lives there and the place is full of all ages of kids as well. The homes are in your price range and internet connection works well enough that our computer crazy teenager loves to go over and hang out playing multi-player video games with his friends.
agswife
Also consider Nantucket - it's in the high end of your range, but is a great neighborhood.
SoTheySay
S
Side note - are you by chance a pediatrician?
KidDoc
AG
Thanks for all of the input so far and yes I'm a pediatrician.
SoTheySay
S
Can you email me? (in profile)

Don't worry - not going to ask you to diagnose my kid.
Oogway
You might also look midtown (CS). Internet is fine (we, too, have a computer kiddo) and you are close to everything: campus, grocery, etc. Plus, you are heading south to work when most everyone else is campus bound. Might be a little more searching house-wise because the prices will vary, but there are some nice neighborhoods (some have HOAs and restrict renters, etc. while some don't). Otherwise, I agree with the other posters regarding the southern neighborhoods. There are a lot of options and schools are good wherever you go. Welcome to town!
Builder93
AG
I would advise against D&D. FYI, the furniture repair people follow them around.
DisneyFan5
My son graduated from A&M Consolidated HS last year and of the two high schools, I think Consol has the Career and Technology classes more geared towards the computer tech stuff. My son took a lot of computer classes and the program is really good and they have a great teacher, Mr Taylor.

Just something to consider when looking.

SW AG80
AG
Look at WoodCreek across Rock Prairie from Scott&White Hospital. Great location. We just moved there this summer. We don't have kids at home but I think kids go to Consol.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
e-mail me dirtbagswooper

OMG that's what the DB stands for?!?! All this time I just assumed it was dewsh bag.

OP its unfortunate that you are not looking in the Booneville area as Copperfield is the best neighborhood in town. Hopefully you can get a nice uncapped DSL connection for internet or else be able to enjoy the "benefits" of being a sudddenprix customer.
DBSwooper
Really pirate it could go either way.
AggiePirate
AG
AggiePhil
AG
Or, it could be an ode to DB Cooper.
understandingmom
Kiddoc coming to town! I have always thought your posts were great and a wealth of info. I happen to be in the medical field so I keep an eye out for them. Welcome to town, can't wait to meet you. Lots of choices on where to live. I would recommend driving around, ideally with a realtor. You will be able to dwindle your list quickly and have a few areas to focus in on. You will likely be at the upper end of your range. Good luck with the move.
ShinerBlonde
AG
There are lots of great neighborhoods in South College Station. We are in Castle Rock which we love. We have very fast internet, a nice HOA pool and we are literally a minute drive from the new High School. Castlegate, Saddlecreek, Tuscany Trace, Williams Creek, Indian Lakes, Pebble Creek, and several other S. College Station neighborhoods are all great as well but with some of the newer construction there is a lag on good internet service.
armymom
I'll second Little Guys! Have used them several times and the staff/workers are nice, clean, friendly, respectful, strong, careful and very reliable! I also live in Wood Creek but not sure how many teenagers there are. My street is mostly retirees which we like!
selk
AG
Call Lance at Brazos Moving and Storage they will take care of you If your looking for a realtor Call Ryan Derkowski with BCR realty. (979) 268-3522
originaltexan
If you like strong dudes, call up these Aggie boys G&M Haulers 979-324-6617
SW AG80
AG
A strong second for G&M Haulers. Have used them twice. Very reasonable.
Havegood
AG
Stone Forest. Great Neigborhood. Right next to Pebble Creek.
summergal
Conlee-Garrett Moving ( Mayflower) I highly recommend them! Professional and had my house packed up in one day! Look to see if Woodlake has any homes. Country living with BTU Utilities. More managable utility price!
PS3D
Maybe Great Oaks Estates? There's some empty lots, but it's relatively close to amenities.
KidDoc
AG
We drove through Great Oaks a few weeks ago and it looks pretty nice. We are actually considering building out there in 5-6 years once our youngest is off to college and we can build an empty nest home with all the goodies we want. For this move we will have to go with whatever is on the market when it is time to move out of our current home.
justalocal
Don't know how much house you need but Edelweiss Gartens is a nice neighborhood. It's below your price range but if you are looking at moving/building in 5-6 years, it doesn't hurt to check it out. We've lived over here for over 5 years - we haven't experienced any of the internet issues that other posters have nor do we have problems with our mail.
PS3D
If you want in on Great Oaks Estates, better act quick...there's only one more cul-de-sac (Spanish Oak Court, which I don't believe is on Google Maps yet, it's off Arboleda), and after that, all the future phases will be developed as Mission Ranch to the east, which takes pretty much the whole quadrant of northwest Holleman and Rock Prairie that hasn't been developed (the roads will end up completely replacing Abbate Road and using that lake there, and connect to streets in University Heights and Quail Run Estates)
AggiePhil
AG
Regarding Castlegate II, does anyone know if the deed restrictions are posted online? I'm trying to figure out what the parking regulations are.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.