House flooding in CS-- Ideas??

2,296 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggieWife2008
AggieWife2008
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Sooo we are in a temp house until we close on our home in 2 weeks. Our dining room started flooding and we stopped it (temporally) with towels. Rain is not stopping and water is seeping through the last towels. What would you do next?
TAMU1990
AG
start putting furniture up on counters/tables, etc

go outside and see if a drain is blocked
ehollandbee
I would also call the Landlord...asap.
AggieWife2008
S
Thanks Wendy. We don't have anything in there...we are only here for 40 days so everything is atoredd in garage (not flooding). There's a flowerbed that's filling up with water and coming through that way.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
I would also call the Landlord...asap.

Yeaaa haha I know that's an option. Our home to be is being built by Larry Mariott. Our old house sold in 7 days so we needed a place to stay before our new house was done. Larry had a home in CS that he's letting us rent for cheap and no lease (unheard of In this town!). I rather not call this late...just want to keep the house as safe as possible.
ehollandbee
No lease AND a cool landlord!?!? I thought you said you were in College Station...hahhaaha
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
No lease AND a cool landlord!?!? I thought you said you were in College Station...hahhaaha

Right?! Haha!
iisanaggie
AG
I still would call the landlord. If it were my property, I wouldn't care if someone woke me up. You might contact the city as well. If several houses around you are flooding, it could mean clogged city drains. Try to keep it mopped up. The longer water sits, the more problems it causes. Just keep a mop handy and continue to ring out the towels. Sorry you have to deal with this!
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
I still would call the landlord. If it were my property, I wouldn't care if someone woke me up. You might contact the city as well. If several houses around you are flooding, it could mean clogged city drains. Try to keep it mopped up. The longer water sits, the more problems it causes. Just keep a mop handy and continue to ring out the towels. Sorry you have to deal with this!

Thanks for the advice...I texted him
SoTheySay
S
You definitely want to let him know - especially a man like that who has resources.
NativeTxn
Yep, always protect your hide! Let the landlord know and proceed as if he might sue YOU for damages. Have someone take pics/video of you mopping up, take pics/video of any damage caused by the flooding just in case he lets get worse or tries to pin other damage on you. It could be damaged somehow after you leave and then try to hold you responsible. Not saying he would ever do such a thing, but do everything in your power to protect yourself in case he does.

Also, contact him via text or email so there is written evidence as to the conversations you have about this issue. I am not trying to make you paranoid. Just trying to help keep you in the clear. I am not saying Larry is anything but a nice person, but a lot of landlords are nice and wonderful until there is damage to their property and money going out of their pocket instead of into it.
chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
What street is this on? Did it stop when the rain stopped?
techno-ag
AG
Marriott is a class act.
AggieWife2008
S
Sorry to leave everyone on pins and needles! House was fine...We used about 12 towels and 2 roles of shop towels to use as a barrier. It soaked up every single square inch but never leaked through. I texted the landlord that night and called in the morning. Being such a nice guy...he of course apologized that we had to deal with it.
CN
Larry Marriot is a great guy. He made some small repairs to my house 10 years after he built it so that I could sell it and didn't charge me for it. All I did was ask him who I should hire to do the repairs. Granted, the repairs were due to problems that didn't reveal themselves until years after the home warranty had expired but he's not the kind of guy that says sorry, not my problem anymore.
AggieWife2008
S
quote:
Larry Marriot is a great guy. He made some small repairs to my house 10 years after he built it so that I could sell it and didn't charge me for it. All I did was ask him who I should hire to do the repairs. Granted, the repairs were due to problems that didn't reveal themselves until years after the home warranty had expired but he's not the kind of guy that says sorry, not my problem anymore.
100% agree!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.