Saltgrass

26,875 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by cledus6150
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I don't remember "generally good reviews" when the "mobs started hitting the place,"

I do. See p.1 of this thread.
FlyRod
I did. Appears to be a few mixed reviews, and you and Tanya93 squabbling with each other.

More to the point though, the "typical mybcs cycle" is just as likely to start out negative, as with Grub Burger Bar (too expensive for this town, burgers/milkshakes too small) or Napa Flats (service issues).
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Saltgrass has been having some issues with its steak lately. We went for the first time with friends last weekend and 3/4 of us ordered the 8 oz. center-cut top sirloin. All three were overcooked and extremely tough. Everything else about the meal was good--the steaks just sucked.

The following day, another friend (who is somewhat of a Saltgrass regular) went and ordered the same thing because he didn't believe me about our bad experience. Sure enough, he said his steak was also overcooked and tough. I think he even went back another time for lunch and had yet another bad steak.

Now, all that having been said, I very rarely judge a place based on just one experience so I'm sure we'll be back at some point. I've also discussed the issue with management and they assured me our experiences are out of the ordinary. I also mentioned this thread to them and was told they are well aware of MyBCS.

If a STEAKhouse can't get steak done right, especially at their prices, I'm not sure why you would give them a second chance.... the steak should not be the thing they fail out even if they are new and working out the kinks.
justalocal
With any restaurant, the food typically depends on who is in the kitchen. Sounds like the person on the grill either needs more training or needs to be replaced. When we think of Saltgrass, we aren't thinking of executive chef prepared meals but maybe others are. We also don't order expensive items cause we are poor. Our bill is usually around $30 which is comparable to other places around town including non-steakhouse restaurants. I guess as part of the poorer crowd, we...as in my husband and I....are more accepting of mistakes since we aren't accustomed to the fine dining experience (nor have we experienced it). We've gone twice and both times had no complaints. The steak on my salad may have been a tad bit undercooked for my liking the second time we went, but it was still good. The only way the restaurant is going to know that there is a problem with the food is if the issue is addressed and typically that is done in the restaurant rather than on an anonymous board that the owners/managers may or may not be aware of.

What would be awesome if Saltgrass did what Lupe Tortilla did. Have patrons fill out comment cards and take some of the negative ones and write in red marker a rebuttal to the negative comments then hang them for everyone to see.
BlueMiles
AG
quote:
I have talked to their management 5 times about this. I have also contacted City Hall and left a message with the City Traffic Engineer. Management stated each time that CSPD gave them permission to park on the street and take up most of the drive lane. They directed their employees to use the street as well as driveways onto the street instead of their parking lot.

I thought the Fire Department was in charge of parking enforcement. Try them?
techno-ag
AG
quote:
Some of those cars parked along the side of the road belong to the workers at the hotel that is currently being constructed next to Saltgrass. I have seen the workers park and walk to the jobsite. I can't tell you how many of them belong to the hotel and how many belong to Saltgrass but I can say with confidence that all those cars along the street are not just parked there due to the restaurant.

Maybe the hotel parking lot will help ease congestion once it's completed.

(Unless they tow or something).
justalocal
quote:

Maybe the hotel parking lot will help ease congestion once it's completed.

(Unless they tow or something).
Maybe. The hotel parking lot behind McAlister's is often used for overflow at the restaurant. Could be an agreement there...could not. A family member of mine owns a food business in CS - they share a parking lot with other businesses. I don't know the logistics of it since it isn't my business but I know it isn't out of the question.
ksp
Have eaten at Saltgrass in Dallas a few times, finally got to try it here. Went with a friend who's steak was under cooked last time and he was giving them another shot.

The good.......Vaquero tacos were really good, my friends steak was cook to perfection this time (yes he spoke with the manager)

Needs improvement....the service. there was confusion on who was waiting on us, three different people came by to try and take our drink orders, better to many than to little I guess. Forgot the honey as requested and forgot lemon for my tea as requested. After asking the second time they got them for us. Took a while for friends beer to come out, long enough that asked if it was still cold.

The bad.... The lady manager. Emotionless, unresponsive and just flat out unfriendly. Not sure if she is just a naturally unhappy person, hates her job, or having a bad day but she came to clear table and did not smile, did not say and word or make eye contact and looked generally miserable, bad enough that me and my friend looked at each other at same time after she walked away and both said the same thing.

The GM was V. responsive when my friend talked to him about previous experience before we sat down.

Anyways looks like they are working out some kinks, will try them again in 30-60 days and see how it goes.
O.G.
I gave it a try, had a pretty rough experience.

Had to send my potato back because it was bad, as in rotten.

Steak was OK at best, and of course, this being BCS, they built it entirely too small.
rcannaday
AG
Went last night with the kiddos no problem, service was great.
Anna Molly
Regarding parking: 1 space per 65 square feet for restaurants:
https://www.municode.com/library/tx/college_station/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CD_ORD_CH12UNDEOR_ART7GEDEST_S12-7.3OREPAST

So who knows how many square feet Saltgrass is?
SARATOGA
I don't know, but that sounds like a bad code that needs to be updated.

A 10x6 space will prolly be a 6 top. These days that isn't one vehicle.

I'm thinking 2 parking spaces for 65sf.

And bigger aisles.
rcannaday
AG
All codes in CSTX need to be updated, I would say they are about 5-10 yrs behind the curve.
cledus6150
AG
Went last night, ordered a Rare Texas T-bone, it was the worst steak I have had in years. Half was medium rare and other half was well done, along with the taste of charring on the meat. I was not impressed and will not be going back as I expect more from a $25 steak

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.