Someone just got run over on university at McDonald's

7,956 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Hammerheadjim
PhiAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like a young female student. This area is so bad for people crossing outside the crosswalks. I pray she is ok.
rsa
AG
Thoughts and prayers.
freshfrenchfryfanatic
AG
I was over in that area the other day and was shocked to see students crossing University when they didn't have the "walk light". Three almost got hit and they were all either looking at their phones or had headphones on not even kind of paying attention. They just assume that people will stop for them even if. they don't have the right of way. Something needs to be done regarding pedestrian education on campus or unfortunately things like this will keep happening. T&P for this young lady and hope this wasn't the case for her.
DWren
T&P to the victim.
Hope she is ok.

Not saying she did this because obviously I have no idea but driving around campus I am completely appalled at the number of students who just walk right out in front of traffic with no regard whatsoever.
It is really unbelievable.
Anna Molly
Something should be done...

Learn to look both ways before crossing? Only cross in a crosswalk? Kindergarteners know that.

issue tickets for jaywalking? That was done a few years back. You can't imagine the hue & cry that was raised about the jackbooted thugs at CSPD trampling on people's liberty.

i sincerely hope the young woman injured tonight wasn't jaywalking. There is a crosswalk and signalized intersection right in front of McD's!
Ronnie Gardocki
techno-ag
AG
God bless. There's been so many problems with that place.
NativeTxn
T&P for all involved.
Post removed:
by user
The Anchor
AG
quote:
Something should be done...

Learn to look both ways before crossing? Only cross in a crosswalk? Kindergarteners know that.

issue tickets for jaywalking? That was done a few years back. You can't imagine the hue & cry that was raised about the jackbooted thugs at CSPD trampling on people's liberty.

i sincerely hope the young woman injured tonight wasn't jaywalking. There is a crosswalk and signalized intersection right in front of McD's!
Rexter
Years ago when I would be on campus, students would step off the curb directly in front of my tractor trailer, and expect me to stop on a dime. Back then, I was told by a UPD officer that pedestrians have the right of way, no matter where, on campus. The students tend to forget that when off campus that isn't true.
originaltexan
True that many people, even non-students, in Northgate will walk directly into the flow of vehicles going 30 +mph. I see it daily. They get the horn.

For those not on foot, many drivers completely stop and look at maps, phones, sights, etc. They get the horn.

So, really, it is not just the students.

Very dangerous to drive through, so stay sober and alert as you drive through.
justalocal
I come close to hitting a few each year that just walk out or ride out in the roadway. Agronomy and Raymond Stotzer (by the vet school) is another place where the students like to disregard the traffic control lights. I was told by a UPD officer last year at a meeting that they are not telling students they have the right of way as I had heard that but it is other campus departments.

I hope she is okay. My first thought is whether McDonalds will be sued for not having a crossing guard.
Aggie
AG
Most all know that pedestrians have the right away on the A&M campus.
Someone must be telling the students this over and over because you cannot drive anywhere on campus without a student walking out in the street or walking in front of traffic.
Yes you may have the legal right of way but common sense should come into play at some point.
Max06
AG
I think part of the issue is the closed streets on camps. I completely agree with the closures, but I think students get all too used to streets not having any car traffic and just crossing wherever they please without looking.

But, it's not like students' inattention is a new thing- a lot longer than the intra-campus streets have been closed.
Look Out Below
AG
quote:

Outside of the crosswalks, you sure about that?
Scruffy
AG
quote:
quote:

Yes.

It drives the maintenance, custodial, landscape, and logistics people nuts. People just walking out with no care or attention for their surroundings.
And if ine of them gets hit, the employee gets fired.
Look Out Below
AG
Perhaps this is why the bicyclists also think they have free run too. The people on foot don't bother me as much as the bicyclists who disregard stop signs all over campus. I'm afraid I'll hit one one of these days.

A better job should be done informing folks what the actual policies are regarding all this. I've worked on campus more than 15 years and wasn't aware.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
quote:
quote:

I need to amend that. Pedestrians may be found liable if they cause an accident by jaywalking, but, legally, a driver must avoid hitting a pedestrian at all costs.

don61
Pedestrians have the right of way only in marked crosswalks as stated on TAMU's website. They
are supposed to yield to vehicles while not in crosswalks. The right of way thing anywhere on campus is
just a myth.
jrhmc
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pedestrians have the right of way everywhere including off-campus and even if they're jaywalking.
Not true but something that every college student thinks is true. Here's the law. http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/TN/htm/TN.552.htm
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I updated my post before you posted that.

They may not have right of way by law, but if a driver must, by law, avoid hitting them and can be held at fault, then the pedestrian has de facto right of way.
redd38
AG
My biggest complaints are people getting off A&M busses and thinking traffic has to stop for them and bikers that don't stop at stop signs (and then give ME a dirty look when I almost hit them).
PS3D
Given that KBTX has nothing on it, I doubt that she was seriously injured. Hit by car =/= run over by a car

Hope she's okay though.
AgCPA
AG
I heard from someone that saw it from a distance that she was run over, completely by a dully truck... I have not seen or heard anything else on news or otherwise. But not sure how that could happen and not be seriously injured. Perhaps she was luck and it was jacked up high and didn't catch her with a wheel. Hope so, prayers to her.
redd38
AG
The significant activity report for yesterday says "incapacitating injury", so probably not minor injuries.
PhiAggie
AG
quote:
Given that KBTX has nothing on it, I doubt that she was seriously injured. Hit by car =/= run over by a car

Hope she's okay though.

I've been looking on kbtx and wtaw with no luck finding anything about it.

I too spoke to several witnesses.

This area is bad. Last Saturday as we drove to the game, a group of nearly 30 people just ran out as we were driving by. They didn't use the crosswalks. Its only a matter of time.
Builder93
AG
I have noticed that Asian students tend to dart into traffic while making eye contact with me. I have heard that it is a common way for traffic to work in eastern countries. Can anyone confirm or deny this? At first I thought this was very dangerous, but since they are making eye contact, they can verify that the driver sees them and then they just scoot across. Western students just assume that the drivers are going to stop for them.
TLIAC
AG
Other posters are correct. Several years ago, after several very serious auto-ped crashes CSPD had nights where they focused on pedestrian safety and issued tickets for pedestrians failing to yield the ROW to vehicles. Oh my goodness, you would have thought that we told every small child in the world that Santa wasn't real - people were outraged that we were wasting our time with that. That is until a few weeks later there was another very serious auto-ped crash at Northgate.

This isn't new. Northgate was my beat when I was on patrol. People (lots of them) would step right out onto University Drive and expect traffic to stop. Made me wonder if their Momma's ever taught them "red light/green light." People didn't want to believe it but the PD really just wanted to keep people from getting hurt/killed.
PhiAggie
AG
Any update on the girl?
GoneGirl
AG
Oh...my.....gosh.....

Santa isn't real?!???
jodiw
WTAW ran a story this morning but I don't see it on their site
Twix
AG
The cyclists get me too... just this week I was at a 4-way stop with another car opposite me. It was my turn and I had just taken my foot off the brake and had to slam back on it because out of nowhere an student on a bike came barreling through the stop sign. I was behind northgate, not on campus. I laid on my horn and the guy flipped me off. Maybe next time he'll rethink that decision when he's laying in a hospital bed.

The thing that gets me with pedestrians, is the fact they don't look...they just go. And the headphones...you can't hear traffic with your face buried in a phone and music blaring in your ears. Perk up kiddos and be aleart!!
carpe vinum
AG
quote:
Police & Code Maroon Activity
Posted by Bill Oliver Featured Stories, News Thursday, September 11th, 2014
A woman crossing University in Northgate Wednesday night was struck by a pickup. College Station police say the 27 year old from College Station is hospitalized in stable condition. The driver was not hurt. Investigators are still determining whether the pedestrian was in the crosswalk among other circumstances. Alcohol was not a factor. The driver was making a left turn from Spence to University when the pedestrian was hit.
originaltexan
Actually, the comment about international is true. Good point.

In some countries, the person will look at you (eye contact) and that means that there is an understanding about yielding or watching out. This however is not the law or common practice in the USA. It is very important to understand or learn other customs.

If not, hospitals, lawsuits, fines, etc.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.