Trying again for help finding a job for young man with disabilities

3,120 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by don61
don61
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Thank you all who tried to help on my last post. None of those worked out.

So, hoping someone has more ideas or suggestions, or even better, a job they can offer.

My son is 22. He has non obvious disabilities. He is so wanting to work and be a productive part of society.
He needs someone to give him a chance. So far, he has tried DARS, Workforce, McDonalds, grocery stores, auto dealerships, vet clinics, places in the mall, Nicks Nic Nacs, Petco etc etc.

He can work part time or full time. Anything to get his foot in the door and the chance.

Thank you all in advance.
ksp
trudie, your son is a fine young man. I was hoping our position opened up here, but our PT worker stayed on after school started.

I still have him on my mind and am keeping my ears open.

Good luck and have him check in with me from time to time
don61
Thank you ksp. I know you tried and I appreciate your efforts in helping find something
for him. I do thank you very much.
EliteElectric
A list of he can and cannot do would help. F/E Can he use power tools, manual labor, can he work outdoors, run a computer, answer phones etc. Feel free to email me and I will see if I can help, I know a lot of people/business owners in BCS.

andreas@elitellp.net
ksp
Abbyag06
I saw Kent Moore Cabinets is hiring. So is Home Depot. Maybe one of those would work?
NativeTxn
HEB seems to be pretty good about hiring people with disabilities. I don't have much else to offer, but will definitely keep my eyes and ears open for something that might be suitable. As suggested above, a list of things he can do and/or has problems with could be helpful.

Good luck to you. I admire that this young man, despite his disability, wants to be a productive part of society and work toward providing for himself. Thoughts and prayers to you both.
Proud Aggie
What kind of work he can do? I mean can he stock in the grocery store? Let me know i think we can make this work for him
don61
Proud Aggie - yes, definitely he can stock shelves. That would be great.
He can push carts, sack groceries, clean. He has done some food service
for a short time in the past.
don61
Proud Aggie - yes, definitely he can stock shelves. That would be great.
He can push carts, sack groceries, clean. He has done some food service
for a short time in the past.
agswife
Don't know if they're hiring, but Martha's Bloomers in Navasota has hired some special needs workers.
91Mom2SuperBoy
Have you tried the Brazos Valley Center for Independent Living? bvcil.org
don61
Yes, Mom, BVCIL is a training area, mostly life skills. There is practice for job interviews but
they do not find employment. But thank you for trying.
don61
Agswife - have not tried there. Thank you for the suggestion.
BMoreBirds
Try contacting Beautiful Abilities. They are located in BCS. My uncle is the founder. They could most likely help you out!
pinky
Hi ... new to the board but not to the area. I too have an adult child with LD and good luck finding a job. They go on interviews and never get a job. This area is not friendly to folks with disabilities. We have tried all the agency's in town and they send on job interviews but never get hired. US parents with special needs need to band together and talk to employers that they want a chance to make a living.

I wish I could give you tips. I do know of families that have moved away to other cities so they can get employment for their child.

You folks with business on this board need to hire some of these find people for jobs.
don61
BMoreBirds - thank you. We will look them up.
Proud Aggie
Tudie123
Can you pick up an employment application from king dollar college station. I'll find a position for him
king dollar
2408-D Texas avenue
college station, tx 77840
979 694 3860
don61
Yes most definitely. Thank you so very much.
We look forward to meeting you and again,
thank you.
ksp
My wife is a lifes coach at AMCHS and assist in placing special needs kids in a job and environment best suited for them.

HEB, aTm and few other places are V. friendly in hiring kids/young adults with disabilities.

I would disagree that people don't hire them.

I hope and pray in the grand scheme of things, that maybe, just maybe there are only so many jobs to go around and that unfortunately not everybody gets a job. I hope that is the case with your son and he has just had bad luck. There are good companies and good companies out there.

GL to both of you, trudie still have my ears open.
Proud Aggie
Tudie123
Your welcome
Call me tommorow morning at store no and if i am not there please leave a msg and I'll call you as soon as i get there.
don61
ksp - Very much appreciated.
don61
Proud Aggie - look forward to it!
pinky
Proud Aggie.. since you helped trudie 123 and her son can you help give a job ot my child too? That would be great.
Proud Aggie
Yea sure y not. Lets fill out an application and I'll find out from main office tomorrow.
ksp
People helping!
EliteElectric

dubi
AG
There is still good in this world!
BlueMiles
ButtonB
Tudie, I'm not sure if this has been resolved, but just in case nothing works out, I heard on the radio that FedEx is having a hiring open house for package handlers. Their info is on Craigslist and I can't link, but here are the details:

OPEN HOUSE
Wednesday 9/17
10am - 4pm

FedEx Ground
2799 N. Earl Rudder Fwy
Bryan, TX 77807
For more information visit http://WatchASort.com.
dachsie
I was just at Office Depot and saw they are trying to hire part time morning stockers. Y'all might try there.
don61
Thank you ButtonB - We are supposed to hear back today, but if we don't we will certainly check
into that. Thanks so much for the suggestion.
don61
Dachsie - Thank you for the suggestion. If this other doesn't work out, we will certainly check into that.
Thank you!!!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.