Woodworking Help

4,576 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by studioone
Pyewacket
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone know where I can get access to a bench joiner or planer without buying one? We had a woodworking studio at Camp Lejeune, but I can't find anything similar or renting one.

If not, do any woodworkers out there have a trick to getting even edges other than a jigsaw and sander?

-Yes...Chicks dig powertools too!
studioone

why not use a table saw with a fine carpentry blade its what i use...
studioone

and i have a 16 inch planer, but it weighs about 3-400 lbs...
Pyewacket
AG
Thanks studioone. I will give it a try. As my project gets smaller, I need more tools. I acquire them slowly as my experience grows. What planer do you reccomend?
studioone
depends on what u want to spend..

Jet makes the best.. find the nearest woodcraft www.woodcraft.com

or u could get a hand planer and do it by hand..
Ag20??
AG
You can joint on a table saw with a jointing jig. There's a lot of sources out there for one and it works pretty well as long as your fence is square and your blade heeled properly.

Planing....either a planer, drum sander, or by hand are the only ways I know of unfortunately. Planing by hand can be nice and therapeutic for about 5 minutes and then you realize that you're not getting anywhere fast and it becomes frustrating.
Pyewacket
AG
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a jointing jig, but will search for one. The table saw worked OK. Lie-Neilsen is a little out of my price range and I did get no where fast because I don't have the experience or tools to do a proper honing. I appreciate all the suggestions. I don't know many folks who like woodworking, so I hope I can get your advice in the future!
Builder93
AG
If you can't get a hold of a stationary jointer, you might try a long portable hand planer. I have a small bosch but you might look into a long Makita. If you go that way, cut it longer than needed, then plane it and cut to length, that way if it dives into the edge at the end, you can cut it off.
Pyewacket
AG
Also forgot to ask...Do you guys know of a local source for hardwoods? I have looked everywhere here and all I can find is red oak, poplar and knotty alder. If not here what web sources do you know of? I go to houston for walnut and cherry, but would like to try some of the more exotics.

Thanks!! For 20 years I have made high school shop projects, but would like to get more experience in more intricate projects.
studioone
lots of places in houston, and any woodcraft has tons of lumber..

but i think you're in north carolina?
Ag20??
AG
quote:
Thanks for all the replies. I don't have a jointing jig, but will search for one

They're very easy to make. It's literally two bits of wood screwed together with toggle clamps on top. Without a jointer, to get the initial straight edge to reference off your fence you'll have to buy some plywood and use the factory cut edge, but you can knock it out in about 30 minutes and it'll run ya about $15 - 20.
Satellite of Love
quote:
Lie-Neilsen is a little out of my price range and I did get no where fast because I don't have the experience or tools to do a proper honing.

You might want to take a look are Wood Craft's line of Woodriver brand bench planes is $$$ is the biggest issue. I started with a few of them and they work great. I do have several of the Lie-Nielsen planes and they are a joy to use.

Sharpening is not that hard. A honing jig for <$20 makes it super easy and quick to hone a blade. I live in Houston, but could show you sometime how to sharpen. I own the Delta 13" power bench top planer. Works greats for it's size.

If you come down to Houston for hardwoods I would look at these places in order:

Mason's Mill and Lumber (only open during the week)
Houston Hardwoods
Clark's Hardwood in the Heights
Woodcraft
Smokin Chisel
AG
Callaway lumber in Bryan has ash and other hardwoods but not the amount at hardwoods of Houston.
Pyewacket
AG
Studioone- Nope. I live in Bryan. We lived at Lejeune when my husband was a pilot on the Marine Corps. That is why I am slowly acquiring tools I had access to at the woodshop.

I would rather spend a few more bucks if Lie-neilsens are worth it, but with a saltwater fish habit, animal rescue and kids, I don't want to go overboard. Thanks for the Wood Craft recommendation SoL.. I really liked what they had to offer. Already bought the honing jig you said might work. Also thanks for the Houston wood places. I go to clarks of Houston lumber.

That was why I was asking about planing, because McCoys and Callaway have good boards,but unfinishes on one side.

Ag20- I am going to start working on your directions for the jointing jigs at naptime. I hope you don't mind if I ask a few questions if I get stuck.

Thanks again guys! If I ask advice for woodworking from most people I know...They would ask me why am I not shoe shopping. Keep the advice coming!! and I hope I can ask for your help again!
Pyewacket
AG
I swear last question..

Any local sources for tools and info? Since Parker-Astin closed all I can find is box stores. I always try to shop locally. I would rather pay for a kids braces than a CEO's 3rd plane.
Builder93
AG
I used to deal with Austin Hardwoods back in SA. They were purchased by Dakota Hardwoods and have a location in Austin near the airport. You might check there also. If you ever plan to go to San Antonio, check out Alamo Hardwoods. It is a candy store for woodworkers. Each board is individually priced and many pieces are from species no longer harvested.
Satellite of Love
quote:
I swear last question..

Any local sources for tools and info? Since Parker-Astin closed all I can find is box stores. I always try to shop locally. I would rather pay for a kids braces than a CEO's 3rd plane.

Not local, but check out these sites for tools:
www.toolsforworkingwood.com It is an outfit located in Brooklyn, New York. They have a lot of good stuff
www.leevalley.com Yea they are Canadian, but they make some awesome hand tools.

If you want to learn some valuable hand tool skills check out the Heritage School of Woodworking. The nice part is they are located up near Waco. They offer several different courses on different topics. Frank Strazza and his guys are awesome instructors and classes are very hands on. This summer they started to offer their on campus courses online. Great video production, but I prefer being in the same room as Frank. He is a master of his craft.

If you are ever in the Houston area and would like some tips let me know. I would be happy to show you a couple of hand tool techniques. If you wanted to try out a few Lie-Nielsen planes that would work too. I also have the capabilities to mill rough lumber with my planer and jointer.
studioone

and if you ever want to learn lathe work, holler at me..

and you can come run your boards through my planer if u need to..

or drum sander...
acephotographer
Unfortunately you have left one of the "holy lands" of woodworking and landed in one of the deserts. This area - and BCS in particular - has not seen a lot of woodworking activity and merchandise in general except a few niches (like wood turning).

I blame it on the lack of snow that keeps people in for months at a time (compared to the Midwest & New England), lack of machine tooling and manufacturing (Midwest), lack of furniture making tradition (MA, PA and Carolinas) and the relative lack of furniture hardwoods (Midwest and anything east of Miss. River).

Add in a relatively young demographic and finding stuff here is hard. The MSC used to have some tools but alas it is no more. Hoping the growing retiree community might bring more in but not sure how the baby boom generation will take to it. The "greatest generation" seems to have been much more knowledgeable and interested in the crafts.

Love several that are mentioned already:
Gramercy - ToolsforWorkingWood.com and highly recommend. Small outfit. (got an order of stuff from them last week)

Don't have any Lie Nielsen but own a few tools from Lee Valley and highly recommend them.

Tool resources to check out in Texas other than Rockler and Woodcraft:
For Woodworkers in Waco (1209 Washington) - I have not used but seems to be building a small business for second-hand tools - Doesn't have website as I can tell but regularly advertises on CL. Sample Craigslist ad

Dowd's Tools in Granbury. This is a gem and the semi-annual sale is worth driving up for (and being there when the doors open). He buys from estate sales and also brings down tools from other parts of the country. He has a website but the Facebook page is much more useful and updated more often.

Burr's Unfinished Furniture - Bryan - carries a good selection of General Finishes products. Milk paint, sealers, water and oil-based finishes. (One of the vintage places in downtown bryan has Chalk paint as well).

Learning resources
to check out in Texas other than Rockler and Woodcraft:
Heritage School of Woodworking (aka Sustain Life) in Elm Mott. Variety of classes from beginner to advanced. Website (Mentioned by someone above)
Wortheffort Woodworking - Just relocated to Austin - http://wortheffort.com/ - (Would love to see something like this here) Shawn was in San Marcos but decided he needed to move to Austin as that is where most of students were coming from. Has brought in some of the biggest names in the craft to teach (C. Schwartz, J. Miller, B. Anderson) and is the only place in Texas to have done so that I know of. I was supposed to take a carving class there with Mary May that had to be canceled due to the move.
jeremy360
Here is exactly what you need.

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479717
Ag20??
AG
Isn't there also a woodworking shop in Denton? I remember reading about a shop/school that was starving for students and would have to shut down. Not sure whatever became of that but it was pretty recent so it may still be there.
Hammerheadjim
AG
I get a lot of good stuff from Dakota Wood Supply. I mostly use their online store, but they have outlets in Austin , Waco and Houston. Woodworkers supply is also a good vendor.
On Fountain avenue by the Bryan small power station are a couple of place that will sell you good remnants. They are Fountain Builders Supply and Kent Moore Cabinets.
studioone
the turners group is meeting this saturday at my place...

we just show off piece we've done during the month. no actual turning..

but you can probably talk anyone into taking time out to show you how to turn if anyone wanted.

anyone want to get together and talk wood? I can't do carpentry cause i measure twice, cut once and cuss a lot never can get anything square its why I'm artsy and a turneri make a mistake it becomes part of the piece...
Ag20??
AG
quote:
Callaway lumber in Bryan has ash and
other hardwoods but not the amount at hardwoods of Houston.

Anyone know the hours of these guys? Seems like a pretty outdated operation. They've no website so I called on Thursday at 2 PM, no answer. Called on Friday at 10 AM. No answer. Let it ring for about 10 rings hoping a voicemail or something would kick in giving me hours. Nothing.
Ag20??
AG
Drove by and no hours on the door either. Do they sell to the public?
Pyewacket
AG
Thanks for all the resources. I love to go to some of the stores y'all have mentioned, but it is easier to use websites (except the shipping). The orderly here at the insane asylum is never here, so taking a horde of screaming boys into a store induces a stroke.

Is there a local woodworking group willing to take in a newb? I don't know much about turning studioone.

Callaway is open to the public 20. I usually go before 3 and they are open. I think there are like 2 guys that work there. They have varying lengths of Ash, maple,knotty alder, and red oak. They are all 1" thick. They sell by the linear foot. That was why I was asking about a planer. Unfinished on 1 side.

Again thanks for all the resources especially the websites and videos. Going to classes right now is not an option.
studioone

ah turning is simple.. be glad to show you how..

just need a face shield.

warning though.. it's addictive...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.