Advice For Robbery

3,984 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dfphotos
C XX I
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Friend of mine had their southgate house broken into yesterday. A black KHS women's bike, laptop, kindle, Yamaha acoustic guitar and hard case, and some paperwork stolen.

It was reported to the police, and serial numbers are being gathered and sent to them, but if yall have any advice on where to look it would be appreciated. I know many times the items are sold to someone to sell off in a different city, but I'm hoping for an idiot that tries to sell local. I've checked craigslist, but nothing yet.
O.G.
Most likely it would be in places that most folks on this forum don't go. You MIGHT get lucky with a pawn shop or Jockey lot though.
FlyRod
There are two pawn shops in Bryan that items stolen from friends of mine have turned up in. One is across the street from Buddy's Appliances and the other one is further north on TX. I'll check them on my way to work tomorrow and see if any of the items you note appear to be there.
DBSwooper
For BURGLARIES the local pawn shops are checked for stolen goods, so if your friend's items that were stolen in the buglary were entered via the serial numbers or self applied numbers, there is a significant chance of them turning up if that occurs. Don't forget to check craigslist and Ebay.

Thank god no one was a victim of robbery, or someone might have been injured during the commision of the theft.
C XX I
DBS, it's my understanding that a neighbor was threatened while the crime was committed, making it a Robbery, but your concern is noted.

Fly, that's especially kind of you - thank you.
FlyRod
I've had two break-ins in the past. I get it.
Mr. Griswold
Looks like it was only a burglary, thank goodness. Still bad news for the homeowner(s). Hopefully their belongings turn up soon.
originaltexan
Glad that I was instrumental in this issue. Good luck.
Kbeauty63
AG
also depending on make of laptop - notify local computer repair places (if they had a password protection on it). Helped a friend who had a Mac CPU stolen & 3-4 months later tried to get Mac Resources to unlock it - they (MR) called BPD instead.
Diamond Geezer
Does this guitar have a red label affixed to the body, visible through the sound hole? "Nippon Gakki"

???
Roy Hofheinz
wrong thread
C XX I
Diamond - yes, we believe it does. Please contact me as soon as possible [info removed]
C XX I
C XX I
Diamond Geezer
Sorry, I was only wondering, because the Yamaha acoustics with the red label from the 60s and 70s are pretty collectable. It makes me feel sorrier for your loss than if it was just a regular Yamaha acoustic. But being the victim of theft in general is just pretty crappy. T&P
C XX I
It was her mom's. We'd very much like to get it back.
originaltexan
Good luck
C XX I
Thank you, sincerely.
Diamond Geezer
The Yamaha "red label" FG-180 was basically Yamaha's answer to the Martin dreadnought. The wood on these guitars (that are now 50- to 60-plus years old) has completely mellowed offering incredibly rich bass response. Unfortunately, in many cases with these guitars, the necks warp due to tension, and the bridge area can deform as well. This all equates to incredibly high action at the 12th and surrounding frets. In this shape they are great strummers and fingerpickers on the first few frets. Beyond that, you better have metal clamps for hands.

For many years the Yamaha red labels were considered sleepers for those in the know. But lately, whether due to internet buzz or the fact that they just aren't too common to come by anymore, the prices have really shot up on ebay and the collector market.

Full disclosure: I love mine. Hope she gets hers back.

FlyRod
Stolen items are rarely recovered but it looks like this might end well. Good work!

I'll let some friends in local bands know about this and ask them to keep an eye open.
originaltexan
Per you wish! Good luck.
BlueMiles
The Anchor
Carnwellag2
original - i don't understand your post at all
aggieparent
Glad it sounds like this has a good ending!
C XX I
Two items have been found but not recovered, hopefully that number goes up!

There have been a lot more breaking in the area since my friend - be very vigilant if you are in the Southgate area!
originaltexan
Per your wish! Good luck
C XX I
Many more breakins in the area. Be careful
dfphotos
shoot 'em
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.