BTU smart meters

2,766 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
kmd026
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is it possible to opt out of having a smartmeter
Carnwellag2
why?
carpe vinum
AG
They come with a free roll of tinfoil.
BlazeHarper
Some people have an issue with a microwave transmitter being attached to their house that transmits 24/7 especially when the transmission source can be in close proximity to children and adults (bedrooms).
FlyRod
I wish ATMOS would install something similar. Since BTW installed smart meters, I have had zero mistakes and billing errors.
isitjustme
AG
To answer the OP's question, I pretty sure it is No, you can't opt out of smart meters. I think they've done away with their crew of meter readers, so the only way to read usage is through the smart meters.
UmustBKidding
You cannot opt out and they don't continuously transmit microwaves. BTU's meters operate on the 902Mhz ISM band along with other devices from KeyFobs to garage door openers. They only transmit on demand typically a few times a day for less than a second. As far as potential harm from RF sources they are so far down the list its not even worth pursuing.
The normal concern is privacy;. Many normal citizens who don't want big brother watching don't like them. But there have been cases where under subpena providers have provided records that have pointed out drug grow houses and cooking operations.
But you always have to option to opt out of using electricity.

75AG
AG
I have a feeling that people wanting to opt out of smart meters are the same who want to opt out of childhood vaccines.
BurnetAg
I would say preppers than the non vaccine people.
threecatcorner
What I found annoying about them is that they would beep at you if they thought you had less than 4 days of electricity left and would keep doing it, maybe once an hour, until you added more. If you had enough to last the weekend and didn't want to bother going to get more, you were stuck listening to it.
TEXAS A and M
My smart meter is actually dumb. All it knows how to do is add by one.
farmer2010
AG
quote:
What I found annoying about them is that they would beep at you if they thought you had less than 4 days of electricity left and would keep doing it, maybe once an hour, until you added more. If you had enough to last the weekend and didn't want to bother going to get more, you were stuck listening to it.

Wait, they offer pre-pay electricity plans? This is news to me.
toolshed
AG
There is/ was something called "Power track"? or something similar. You had a unit installed in your house and bought prepaid cards you swipe into your system to keep the power on. I think it was used in some rental properties and for people that could not get a "credit" account set up with them, if that's the correct terminology.
slyk
I thought you could opt out but seems like you had to pay some exorbitant monthly fee to have your meter read by a person (like $50 extra?) and maybe even pay a one time meter install fee or cost of meter itself?
75AG
AG
Could someone please explain why one would opt out of this technology? I don't understand this thinking.
techno-ag
AG
CS Utilities doesn't use them. Maybe move to CS if you want to opt out?
TexasAggie_02
AG
smart meters help pinpoint problems on the grid as well. They can see which meters are not responding.

My power went off this summer, and I called to report it within 10 minutes, and they said that they had already sent a truck my way b/c the meter was off.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.