A&M Consolidated.

2,734 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Fleen
wareagle044
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wasn't there a point in time that Texas A&M wanted A&M Consolidated to drop the A&M due to the fact that they were not affiliated?
techno-ag
AG
Hmm. There are other state A&M universities, though. We just have the biggest one after Congress passed the ag and mechanical college legislation following the Civil War. Not sure A&M would have a case.
wareagle044
quote:
Hmm. There are other state A&M universities, though. We just have the biggest one after Congress passed the ag and mechanical college legislation following the Civil War. Not sure A&M would have a case.

Obv. Since consol still uses it but seems like there was some stink about it 20 yrs or so
95_Aggie
AG
not that I ever heard
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Never.

In the 80's some citizens of College Station wanted to name the High School, College Station High School. A misconception from around the state thought it was funded by Texas A&M.

A&M Consolidated former students protested. School Board compromised and changed the name of the A&M Consolidated ISD to the College Station ISD and left the name of the High School alone.

A&M Consolidated ISD was formed when the A&M Public School was moved off campus in the early 1940's. It was all part of moving the professors off campus. The city of College Station had just incorporated a few years earlier. It merged with the College Station school and thus the A&M Consolidated ISD was created.

techno-ag
AG
Blue star for Pepe's solid history lesson.
Thisguy1
I know the baseball team used to get old pants and equipment from A&M.
techno-ag
AG
There was a time when Missouri found out one of the Consol students stole the design for the Missouri Tigers. That led to a cease and desist, if memory serves.
PS3D
I think that was 2007-2008, and they had to change it on the brand new marquee they had.
Oogway
It wasn't uncommon; Woodlands got in trouble for the motion 'W' they grabbed from Wisconsin, and some schools worked out deals with Universities in their respective states to continue use so they wouldn't have to replace expensive equipment etc. and could phase out the copyrighted images over time. Universities didn't necessarily want to look like bullies.

Personally, I like it when schools have really unique nicknames and mascots, not that there is anything wrong with lions, tigers, cougars and bears...

I like that Rudder chose the Rangers, that Purdue uses the Boilermaker, there are some very creative folks out there.
Fleen
Hutto
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.