UberX adding College Station

17,103 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Counterpoint
Post removed:
by user
91_Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[It's not and you know it's not. -Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 8/28/2014 2:07p).]
rsa
AG
Why would anyone object to the thread?

But then, http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/28/upshot/ubers-secret-agents-was-poaching-from-lyft-unethical.html?_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1
C XX I
Good! I've had nothing but positive experiences with them, and the competition will be good.
Diamond Geezer
Competition with local taxis?
techno-ag
AG
This is great news Slocum. I'm a little surprised, I thought Uber only hit larger markets like Houston. We have some local options that are similar to Uber, but glad they're taking the plunge into the microplex.
95_Aggie
AG
Looks like they are adding a bunch of college towns today.
mhnatt
Can anyone provide some insight as to tipping the driver? I see where Uber's policy states that tipping is not allowed, but is this one of those things that most people do toss in a cash tip?
boredatwork08
AG
No tips, at least officially. Drivers aren't supposed to accept them. They're paid very competitively compared to taxi drivers. All the money should be handled through the app.

I've taken Uber Black and UberX and had great experiences with them. Not sure I've ridden in a taxi where the driver didn't try to rip me off.

UberX should be a great easy money maker for a bunch of college students as well.
techno-ag
AG
quote:

UberX should be a great easy money maker for a bunch of college students as well.

That's great. I hope a lot of Ags can earn some extra money through Uber.
Scruffy
AG
This should be a good thing.

I wasn't happy to pay >$20 for a ride from northgate to spring loop.
rhoswen
AG
Dude Eddie only charges me like 7-10.
Scruffy
AG
To take me and my then GF from Boyett to spring loop was ~$30. I paid because I was not good to drive, and she needed to get home.

I walked back.
rhoswen
AG
That's nuts. I will say that the cab rates are a significant reason why people choose to drive instead.
Scruffy
AG
And why in other cities people are using uber and lyft. The rates are too damn high.
Post removed:
by user
nashvilleaggie11
I'm sure URide won't be too thrilled with this news.
lockett93
AG
Use my Uber promo code when you sign up, 6krvr, and get $30 off your first Uber ride. Redeem it at http://www.uber.com/invite/6krvr

You will also get the free rides until Sept 1 in CStat

[This message has been edited by lockett93 (edited 8/29/2014 9:55a).]
aggiepublius
AG
I really want to this to work and think it is a good thing but I fear the powers that be -ie local gov, insurance companies, etc - are going to kill it.

The scary issue is for student's parents if they become drivers. A growing number of insurance companies will drop the policy if they find out someone covered on it is an Uber driver. See update Although Uber has commercial coverage, it seems they currently are a secondary policy, meaning that they cover after a claim has been made and presumably denied by the primary policy. http://www.reddit.com/r/uberdrivers/comments/2aseih/uber_car_insurance_troubles/ or Google "Uber insurance dropped"

And I can see where the parents could be liable for a judgement from accident if the student was a dependent.

But have no idea how this is handled with Texas laws and regs.

Update
Looks like Uber may have changed things last month to make their policy primary http://ridesharedashboard.com/2014/05/15/uberx-and-lyft-new-insurance-policies-covers-drivers/

[This message has been edited by aggiepublius (edited 8/29/2014 1:25p).]
Ag13
AG
No cars yet
Chazz03
AG
quote:

You will also get the free rides until Sept 1 in CStat
[This message has been edited by lockett93 (edited 8/29/2014 9:55a).]

This would be great if there were actually cars
FlyRod
Supposedly Uber keeps "ratings" on passengers on a 5 point scale...folks have been told by drivers if they fall below a "4" that Uber drivers will simply refuse to pick them up.

What are these ratings based on? It could be all sorts of things, from a passenger who talks too much to a driver, or one who stays silent.

So, Uber isn't quite the blessing it might appear, and thanks to this, is unlikely to put the real taxis out of business, who are unlikely to be using such discriminatory practices.
rhoswen
AG
If that discount is for $30 off, how much is a ride? ???
techno-ag
AG
Fly, Uber is quite the phenomenon, with plenty of Silicon Valley money behind it. They're not going away. They do have a different "social network" take on rides, though, and prolly won't appeal to all demographics, especially olds.
C XX I
rhoswen, the discount was for a ride up to that price. Every ride I've been on (Dallas) has been less than 10 bucks.

Fly - that would be an interesting concern...if this service didn't already exist in hundreds of places without that being an issue whatsoever. There's a way to rate passengers just like there's a way to rate drivers. If driver's ratings fall below a certain level, they don't get call-outs. If a passenger's ratings fall below a certain level, drivers are less likely to want to pick them up. That makes perfect sense. It kinda sounds like you read one or two articles about the service and have no real world experience or even practical idea of what you're talking about.

[This message has been edited by C XX I (edited 9/1/2014 2:21p).]
FlyRod
quote:
Fly, Uber is quite the phenomenon, with plenty of Silicon Valley money behind it. They're not going away.

Didn't say, or imply they were. They have their advantages, along with their disadvantages.

quote:
It kinda sounds like you read one or two articles about the service and have no real world experience or even practical idea of what you're talking about.

FTR I've used Uber and similar services in this and other countries, but thank you for assuming otherwise.

I do enjoy that Uber uses "CStat" on its Twitter handle.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 9/1/2014 4:14p).]
Post removed:
by user
texasaggie04
AG
I am not familiar with Uber. Could somebody tell me if my assumptions below are correct?

1. Anybody (who passes a background check and has a good driving record) can become an Uber driver.
2. If you're an Uber driver and you have your app on, you will get pinged when an Uber passenger uses their app.
3. The Uber driver picks up the Uber passenger and delivers them to their destination.
4. The entire transaction goes through the Uber app, so no money exchanges hands (Uber takes a cut of the profits).

Is what I said correct? If so, my big question is will we see a group like CARPOOL become Uber drivers... I don't see any reason they shouldn't, it's a great way to raise money (assuming that the student activities rules permitted something like that).

Also, one more question. What happens if the driver shows up but the passenger isn't there anymore? Does the driver get stiffed or is there something built into the app where they still collect a small fee?
FlyRod
Well, at a minimum the passenger(s) will get a "1" from the driver and most likely forfeit future rides, getting "blocked" from the driver's app.

Most pay in advance services, even older types like Ground Shuttle do deduct fees from what you pay up front to cover no-shows.
C XX I
Fly, if you'd read damn near anything on this service you'd know that there's a ride minimum charge that is forfeit. Riders have a very short window in which to cancel ride requests, after which they are automatically charged the minimum.
TEXAS A and M
I am positive that the same bunch of morons on a local city council that wishes to ban e cigarettes because they are pretty sure they're bad(no studies,science,etc), will look to kill this uber before it gets popular.
FlyRod
C XX I I've read plenty on the service, and used it. Take your blood pressure medicine, or Xanax, or whatever it is you need to calm down.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
I am positive that the same bunch of morons on a local city council that wishes to ban e cigarettes because they are pretty sure they're bad(no studies,science,etc), will look to kill this uber before it gets popular.

Maybe. But even Houston CC allowed it despite mucho opposition.
FlyRod
But Germany just banned it nation-wide!
rhoswen
AG
It says "$30 off your next ride."

If it's less than ten then great, more power to yall. If it's more than $30 then whoa.

I doubt CARPOOL will have any problems. They're still free which is important.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.