Early hummingbirds?

10,890 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by freshfrenchfryfanatic
rsincs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have lots of hummingbirds at my feeders. Seems a little early for the fall migration.
rsa
AG
We've had them at our home for about the past 3 weeks.
TLIAC
AG
I put my feeder out this week. They were buzzing around looking for it.
Spyderman
AG
We are due an early fall.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I have four that have been camping my feeders.
TXAggie1976
AG
We had 12 today! Wonderful!
jh88ag
AG
Wow, I have feeders out, but only have had 2-3 hummingbirds for the past week. Hope to have more soon.
ontheedge
We are seeing a few now. Have taken a few nice photos.
nonag97
Curious why folks are just now putting out feeders. We are in prime hummingbird mating ground in our area and they're here all summer. I have noticed an uptick in activity the last week or so though, but I have had ample activity on all my feeders and hummer-friendly plants since April.
Tailgate88
AG
They're heeeeeeeeeeeeere! I've got a dozen fighting for my feeder right now.... headed to get more sugar today and put out a second feeder!

The hummers have arrived and a cool front comes through this weekend just in time for Kolache festival... fall is here!
runnrboy
AG
We've had a few around the feeders but yesterday evening the numbers doubled with a lot of fighting. Here are a few pics I took.

agdad01
We have about 20 draining a feeder in a half day
ontheedge
These are from a friends camera. The white one was taken at a local B&B. Copy and paste the links.

originaltexan
Great photos
runnrboy
AG
Nice pics!!
BaitShack
AG
I've got at least 20 working my feeder as well. I've got a 32 oz feeder and they have it empty before I get off work at 5.
Pyewacket
AG
I must be doing something wrong? Nada most of the summer.
toolshed
AG
I've seemed to notice those out of town and edges of town seem to get more activity, maybe because the birds have more shelter areas? I usually get no more than 3-5 in the middle of Bryan. And one of those typically tries to run the others off!
AgCPA
AG
This is not early. I generally get them thick in mid August but have had them come in late july before. I started getting them heavy about three weeks ago. I have 5 quart feeders out. The two that are more in the clear off the eaves of the house get mobbed. I tried to count yesterday but could not, stopped at around 100. There are at least two trying to eat around each hole and a cloud of them around the feeder and many more in the trees, flowers etc waiting their turn. They down the more popular feeder by 10 in the morning and others before the day is out. They have been absurdly numerous since last week. as soon as I get tired of keeping them full many will move on. Just letting them go for half a day without any feeder will cause 80% to move to the next location.
Yellowstone2010
We've probably got about another 4-6 weeks of Ruby-throated hummers moving through on their way south... definitely going to be declining in numbers soon. After that we'll have a small trickle of Rufous or Allen's over the winter. Ebird report on Brazos County... scroll down about mid-way for the hummingbirds. We usually leave one feeder out over the winter just in case one shows up and freshen the sugar water about once every 7-10 days.

==============================
Rio Brazos Audubon- riobrazosaudubon.org
Texas Master Naturalist- Brazos Valley Chapter - txmn.org/brazos
Tailgate88
AG
For the last week and a half I've had two feeders with every spot taken - we counted over 20 hovering around them at once. It seems to be dying down a little now but we are still refilling feeders daily. Over the weekend I filled both feeders twice in one day.
BaitShack
AG
I've noticed a drop over the last four days. I'm only having to fill the feeder every other day.
AgCPA
AG
With the cool mornings I have lost most. Just a dozen or so buzzing around here and there. But I am curious. I hear folk mention seeing the Rufus and other types. I have never seen anything but the rubys. Is there something special about where when a feeder is placed or what kind it is that will attract the other breeds? I'd love to get something else in.
Pyewacket
AG
I have my feeder on a pole with bird food and houses. I get one ot two hovering around. Would the hummingbirds like it if I moved the feeder somewhere else to attract more?
clenglert
I too would like to know what I can do as a beginer to attract them to my yard. I live in Austins Colony and have seen a couple in the neighborhood. Any secrets that can be shared will be appreciated.
AgCPA
AG
For the Rubys, I have been most successful with the feeders that are hanging from the eaves of the house away from the house (like an outer corner) or a window with lots of movement inside. I have a well treed yard but nothing crowding into that specific area. My other feeders are closer to tree lines and shrubs which appear to make it easier for one male to control access. The more open one permits more to come in to feed and eventually all give up and go for it which results in large numbers in that area. So a key is to have a spot like that for your main feeder but to have a few others as alternatives. Having flowers they like around the yard also help to attract them. I would think this will be particularly important for less wooded areas.
FlyRod
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costa%27s_hummingbird

I understand this one has been seen around Cafe Eccell quite a bit...
Yellowstone2010
AgCPA just about covered the bases. One thing I like to stress is adding native flowers to your garden. Things like lantana, purple mist-flower, or Turk's cap are good for both butterflies and hummingbirds. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center page is an incredible resource. Locally, check with the Brazos Valley Master Gardner's group- I think they're going to be at Boonville Days at the Museum of Natural History on 05Oct. Any hummer feeder from a big box store will suffice. Just make sure the sugar water doesn't get cloudy- 1 part white cane sugar to 4 parts water. No red dye needed.

As for the hummers, Rufous and Allen's are kind of odd balls for our area. We had two Rufous at the house back in August on their initial fall migration. In the winter, usually young or not-quite-full plumaged adults will over-winter along the Gulf coast instead of going to Mexico, as there is a bounty of feeders up. Since they aren't adults, they will still look greenish, but there will be a few glimpses of orange on their bellies and base of tail. It's not obvious at first, but a little bit of time spent studying them with binoculars will help. We usually see winter hummers just after sunrise, but others see them more often.

Lol FlyRod- that Eccell Costa doesn't look like the Costas in my books... must be a local variant!

==============================
Rio Brazos Audubon- riobrazosaudubon.org
Texas Master Naturalist- Brazos Valley Chapter - txmn.org/brazos
nonag97
I've still got hummingbirds, as of this morning, buzzing around my feeders. Not many though. Anybody else still seeing them?
WC87
AG
I have had feeders going since July but at most have had only 3 birds at once, with a large male dominating the feeders. I l live in Castle Rock and my house backs up to the greenbelt, so I figured I'd have alot more activity than I'm seeing. I have 2 hanging from an oak tree, staggered in height by about a foot. Is that too close together? Should I relocate them to the eaves of the house?
TXAggie1976
AG
I have one or two a day now. We had a bunch until the first cold wave. Missing them.
Tailgate88
AG
Same here. I am keeping one feeder out for stragglers and locals but only a handful a day stop by.
ontheedge
All I have been seeing is 1 or 2 females a day but today a male showed up. No females today.
turfman80
AG
Same here. Just a few buzzing by.
Spiderpig
Finally started seeing the first ones in my yard last Saturday. They seem to be a couple of weeks later than usual.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.