Cafe Eccell

20,448 Views | 130 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by dave99ag
Frio Cielo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went there last night and it was as perfect as you can get. Service was very good with someone stopping by my table every 3 or 4 minutes asking if we needed everything.

We ordered the seafood enchiladas and salad and they were very good. The only thing I would suggest adding is a small portion of complementary garlic bread with the salads.

I don't know who designed the interior, but it looks really nice. Someone hit a home run there.

The two large glassed rooms were both full of groups so they must have had a both booked for the evening.

We went to the old site about once a month and liked it, but the new one is far superior.

The only thing I question is the parking service. I am not sure home many persons are going to pull up to the door and have someone else park their vehicle 50 or so feet away. Maybe enough people will.

...and no, I am not associated with the family or business....and no, this is not an advertisement.

Stupe
S
Is valet parking required?
Frio Cielo
No.

The valet parking is the prime spots in front of the restaurant. They might find out that the negative feedback from other customers who have to park farther away or in the shopping center lot next door might be significant.

There was five guys out there waiting to park cars all dressed out in black...at 100 degrees at 5 pm today, they will look like they were swimming.....once they get sweaty, I am not sure if I owned an upscale car, I would want a sweaty person in my vehicle.
Costa and Andreas
Costa the owner here. Frio, thanks for the kind words.

We are trying complimentary valet on Friday and Saturday nights as an amenity to add value to our patron's experience. We are cautiously monitoring feedback, consequently your observations are helpful.

The Good Bull parking guys are in black slacks and maroons shirts. Dressed accordingly with valet services across our great state. I'm sure the valet services in Houston etc break a sweat too. It's a common characteristic of valet I'm sure.

The parking layout needs some tweaking too, I agree. We are going to work on that tonight.

We got a lot of good feedback on the valet, but also some confusion as it seems some locals aren't used to valet like in the bigger cities.

We will watch things materialize with great interest and be sure to in the end do what our clientele tells us to do.

We were the first wood fire oven in town. The first restaurant to offer Open Table for online reservations. Now we're trying something else to be innovative, but are definitely mindful about the reaction.

Thank you so much.
Stupe
S
As small as that parking lot is and with another one right across the street, I don't really understand why anyone would pay to have their car parked unless they are a person that has difficulty walking. There aren't really any "prime" spots in that lot.

I'm not posting this to be rude, I just don't get it.

Edit: I posted after the owner and understand that the valet service is "free". However, you are expected to tip the drivers, so you are still paying to have your car parked.

[This message has been edited by Stupe (edited 8/23/2014 8:47a).]
Stupe
S
quote:
We got a lot of good feedback on the valet, but also some confusion as it seems some locals aren't used to valet like in the bigger cities.

You may have a misconception as to how many people in this town are either from large cities or travel to them on a regular basis. The questioning of valet may not be that they "aren't used to" it, but that they are questioning the need for it when there is ample parking close to the establishment. This isn't a larger city where you may have to park several blocks, or even take a cab, to a restaurant due to limited or no parking.
Costa and Andreas
Stupe,

I agree that there are necessary valet situations like that. But, there are also complimentary valet situations in larger cities with parking lots right in front of the restaurant. The restaurant offers the valet as an amenity. Three quick examples I can think of are Ztejas and Eddie V's in The Arboretum, as well as Steiner Ranch Steakhouse off 620.

We have 112 parking spots, and we could just allow the customers to self park all the time and be just fine. As I stated, we will monitor this very closely.

Thanks for your observations.
Stupe
S
quote:
We have 112 parking spots, and we could just allow the customers to self park all the time and be just fine.

That goes back to my original question: Is the valet required or can customers self park if they don't want to use the valet?
Costa and Andreas
Yes, there's are portion of the lot allocated for self park and a portion for valet. The question is what proportion of the two is perfect.

Again, this is a trial for Friday, Saturday nights and Sunday day after church.

Some of our older clientele especially loved pulling right up to the front door, in the shade under the porte cochere, and just walk right in. I think it would be really helpful during rain as well.

We'll see how it goes. It's not a make or break deal for us, just a way of giving to our clientele.
Scruffy
AG
I think it's a good idea to try and see how it works.

I can see some of the older crowd being glad for it; and let's admit that they probably deserve to be let off right at the door. I know if had my mother with me, I'd use it.
I also see it as "classying up" what was already a a classy place, and with more students and parents visiting (who may have heard about it, but in driving past the old place may have thought it was anoth Dixie Chicken type) this may encourage them to go there.

Now that it's not on northgate, I venture to guess, business will increase.

Best of luck.
FlyRod
quote:
I also see it as "classying up" what was already a a classy place

Luby's? Um...ok.
95_Aggie
AG
Aren't you obligated to tip the valet?
Costa and Andreas
1). It's not Luby's anymore and looks nothing like it. And that's not just me talking, that's overwhelming feedback from guests.
2). There is no obligation to tip the valet. We are paying them a substantial sum weekly. However, I'm sure they would appreciate an optional tip for exceptional service.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Costa and Andreas (edited 8/23/2014 10:47a).]
91_Aggie
AG
I would think if you had valet service you would park those cars further out. No point in having those right up front if someone is going to park it and deliver it to the patron
Mr. Griswold
Yeah, usually valets park at a remote lot and run back and forth. The idea of valet is to add a convenience for customers who don't wish to park themselves, not inconvenience everyone into using the valet. That having said, I can't wait to try the new Eccell.
Costa and Andreas
91aggie,

I agree. The valet company and I are going to speak about the logic in that today.
dgonzo99
Do you still take the Taste Of BCS card?
Costa and Andreas
Just arranged to have the closer spots self park and for valet to be the more distant spots for tonight. We will se how it goes.

Dgonzo99,

We aren't set up to take the taste of BCS cards yet. We intend to get set up soon.

[This message has been edited by Costa and Andreas (edited 8/23/2014 4:05p).]
BlueMiles
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Costa if you guys take off here and then you need another new project after this, I suggest bringing Brazilian Churasco to BCS!

Would love that concept here.
AggiePhil
AG
Yes! And then after that, a good chicken finger place.
malibu9in1
For the love of god. Park and walk. Bcs don't know how to act with valet parking. Was in yr resturant on Thursday evening. Y'all have 1942 tequila. I was sold then. Congrats.
72jag
AG
I will be there in a flash if you stick to the idea of using valet parking for spots further away and spaces closer for regular customer parking.
double b
AG
Sounds great and can't wait to try it out. Also, hard to believe that many people are concerned with Valet service. I was a valet during my early college years and it was great service for more high end restaurants. Good to see Cafe Eccel offer this to their patrons. For the valets,, it was always appreciated to receive a tip.
techno-ag
AG
Love the valet idea, and I agree with Scruffy, a classy restaurant (Cafe Eccell) has now become even classier. Looks like a home run.
dgonzo99
Scruffy.
BCStalk
Just went in for a a visit. The place looks great for starters, but we did not get a chance to get a drink at the bar since it wasn't being cleaned up after people left. Would have also appreciated a bartender to notice us sitting there, perhaps a hello or a smile maybe. Very sad that we had to leave because of this. Maybe next time?
CN
Please update the website! It says to go to your Facebook page and that's out of date too. There's a menu on your Facebook page but I wasn't sure if it was up to date (the one on the Eccell website is from 2013).

I wanted to figure out if the menu has changed since the last time we ate there.
Costa and Andreas
We were so slammed tonight the bar glassware probably didn't clear as fast as normal. I apologize for that.

We are working on our web presence. We are developing a new site with new url. Frankly, we've been focusing so much on the operation, the internet part has not been a priority.

Thank you
Brat86
AG
Do you still have the shaker margaritas? Waitress couldn't tell us, the margarita on the rocks was...average at best...no salt on mug....we had a group of 15 had overall a good experience, definitely some new staff relocation operational issues but glad to have you back.
Costa and Andreas
We don't have the shakers, but seriously upgraded from them. We still use fresh squeezed juice, but now we use Puro Verde Organic Tequila coming out ice cold on tap and serve the Rita in a frozen mug. The server should have asked you whether you wanted salt or not.

We have a ton of very young, new servers and they have been thrown into the fire. They went through two weeks and twelve shifts of training, but I don't think anything would have prepared them for the storm we've experienced this week.

Thank you for your comments

[This message has been edited by Costa and Andreas (edited 8/24/2014 9:12a).]
gopitt
While no fan of some of the previous activities of one of the Owners I must say it sounds like they have hit a home run with their new place. People grumbling about complimentary valet? Then park your own car and walk.
I will visit very soon.
75AG
AG
Went there for lunch this afternoon. Waiter apologized for slow service, but said they were near 100% capacity and they were still "working out the kinks". Still, food was great, service was great, and we'll definitely be returning!
Stupe
S
I find it amusing that:

- A poster (myself) wondered about the need for valet parking and the owner answered with his reasoning behind offering valet. I then asked basic questions about whether or not valet parking is required and that was also answered by the owner in what was a spontaneous and informative Q&A.

- A poster (AGnCS) asked if you were obligated to tipped the valet employees and was answered by the owner.

- A poster (91-Aggie)...who is usually one of the more sarcastic posters on here...makes an objective observation and suggestion about the valet from a logistics standpoint. The owner agrees and states that he will address that situation.

Not one of those posters said anything negative about the valet, just asked questions or made suggestions about it. None said that they thought that the valet was a stupid and idea and none said that it would keep them from going.

All of that is considered griping by a few posters. Interestingly enough, their posts about other posters "griping" about the valet are the only negative posts concerning the valet.

That's funny.

[This message has been edited by Stupe (edited 8/24/2014 5:03p).]
C XX I
Went tonight, early. There's some confusion about table assignment (and the setting of said tables), and about wine portions. Overall it was a good experience, and it's clear a lot of thought has gone in the restaurant and food. Personally, I'd have something to brighten and liven up the dining nook that's roughly behind the host stand - it's a bit dark and depressing with pot lights and no windows.

I'd also unlock the left door (view from parking lot), but that's super picky on my part. Valet services were not out when I entered or left, so I can't comment on that. The tarts were good, and the addition of the peach is incredible.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.