Beaten to Death At McDonald's

27,214 Views | 118 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Fletch_F_Fletch
mil393
How long do you want to ignore this user?
American Thinker has an article with this title today. It sheds a whole new light on the case--the minority mob side! And, to me, it helps explain the huge jury award. Why was there no local coverage of this aspect? It is MUCH worse than Ferguson!

Why am I learning about this from a blog, rather than the local media? Another example of the importance of "new media"!
I'm a computer novice and cannot post the link--Americanthinker.com/assets/3red_party
I hope someone will link for me.
redd38
AG
http://americanthinker.com/2014/08/beaten_to_death_at_mcdonalds.html
Inca
AG
A bit skeptical as to the validity of some of the claims in that article. 400 young black men were in the parking lot and the restaurant? And this is a common occurrence?

Now, it may be possible that the victim was "beaten to death" but this article seems filled with sensationalism to fit an agenda.
biobioprof
A tragedy and a failure at a variety of levels, as was discussed during the trial. But worse than Ferguson? And not just worse but MUCH worse?

Explain your reasoning.
Look Out Below
AG
The article is definitely tilted but it points at something I brought up in another thread: Why weren't the people that committed the murder held accountable?

While there is fault to go around to practically every party involved and I think McDonald's got screwed on the decision, the restaurant needs to have indoor and outdoor cameras and night time security on the weekends, at a minimum.
Inca
AG
Until the civil trial, did the police think the victim died as a result of the beating or as a result of the car crash? Did the car crash make the issue unclear and the police never pursued it? I don't know the answer to these questions but it is odd that only 1 arrest was made.
CS78
Feral humans and a media that is afraid to call a spade a spade.
Marooned_n_Aggieland
quote:
400 young black men were in the parking lot and the restaurant?

The article states the 400 number was estimated by a police officer. Are you questioning the police officer's estimate or whether the article actually cited testimony(?) It is not clear the officers statement was from testimony.

"Instead, up to 400 black males were loitering about the parking lot, a police officer later estimated."
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
Shortly after 2 A.M. that Sunday, they pulled into the parking lot of so-called “University McDonald's” and beheld a scene unlike anything portrayed in all those wholesome McDonald's television commercials. Before them, hundreds of young black males were loitering about, some without shirts.

Yeah, he's not trying to sway opinion here.
Inca
AG
I am questioning whether there were actually 400 people loitering around the parking lot. Did a police officer really use that number in any kind of official statement? 400 is a LOT of people and should draw the attention of College Station police. Other than on campus during an A&M football game, when have you seen 400 people just hanging around in College Station? If that is not on the police department's radar at 2 a.m. on a Saturday night, then I think the police department needs to look at how it is allocating resources.

And personally, if I drove up to a place in the wee hours of the morning and saw a crowd of 400 young men of ANY color loitering around, I would keep driving.
redd38
AG
With the size of that parking lot it would be very difficult for the SUV to make it through the drive-thru if there were 400 people outside. I also doubt the number.
Banker
The article does not mention that the victims were under the influence of Alcohol. It paints a picture of some wholesome children who did not know that the world could be a bad place. I do think that this is a tragedy that could have been avoided, but had these "adults" not made the choice to underage drink, then lack the common sense not to stop at a place with a mob out front, then not engage the mob, they might have had a chance. They should have not been driving, and should have not drinking. People need to stop placing the blame on everyone else. They made choices that led to being in a situation that was tragic. The blame is not all on one company. There were many factors and many wrong things this night.
CS78
quote:
had these "adults" not made the choice to underage drink

Not to get off the subject of someone being beaten to death for being white in a public place in College Station, but total oxymoron.

[This message has been edited by CS78 (edited 8/21/2014 3:42p).]
Look Out Below
AG
quote:
And personally, if I drove up to a place in the wee hours of the morning and saw a crowd of 400 young men of ANY color loitering around, I would keep driving

BINGO.
CS78

[This message has been edited by CS78 (edited 8/21/2014 3:26p).]
Vox Humana
Nothing that those kids did made it ok or acceptable in any way for a mob of thugs to assault them.

McDonalds, on the other hand did at least facilitate if not encourage the environment that led to the beating.
Scooley01
AG
McDonalds encouraged the environment? Really?
Vox Humana
The manager of the University McDonalds encouraged the mob to come to the McDonalds store. They created a mob friendly environment.

That manager is a corporate representative.
Inca
AG
Did the manager send out 400 invitations to young black men asking them to show up at 2 a.m.? I'm confused as to how the manager encouraged people to loiter in the parking lot?

But that article is extremely one sided and agenda driven.
Knightlight
Inca this was a weekly occurrence, the crowd would stretch from shoulder room only in McDonald's to hundreds loitering in the parking lot of McDonald's to a ghetto car show of sorts in the adjacent parking lot on the Harrys side.

That's night was no different.

As for how the word could get out I have seen larger crowds gather after a mass text or a twitter send out. Not to mention it was somewhat of a habit for them to migrate down south college Ave from Bryan to the CS Mc Donalds.

[This message has been edited by knightlight (edited 8/21/2014 4:44p).]
Inca
AG
Why didn't the police ever address the situation if it was a weekly occurrence? I doubt McDonald's was tweeting and encouraging people to come loiter in their parking lot.

And I don't think 400 people PLUS their cars would fit in that McDonald's parking lot.
oklaunion
Why was this not covered thoroughly by the local media immediately after it happened? And why was the one who was fingered for the fatal assault given nothing more than a slap on the wrist? Hopefully this is not the way the post-Bill Turner era will go.
Knightlight
Inca it's pretty clear the Police responded to calls there. Just like Whataburger it's McDonald's who could have chose to hire security if they wanted more than just 911 service. The Officers assigned to that district have their hands full with Northgate.

And there is room when you ride 6 deep in each car.

[This message has been edited by knightlight (edited 8/21/2014 6:13p).]
Inca
AG
Shouldn't the police patrol known trouble spots? Isn't that part of their job?

They certainly have a heavy presence on Northgate, which is right down the road!

And McDonald's is not responsible for securing the parking lot by Harry 's that you said this group spills into. Sounds like a problem that the police should have addressed, along with the underage drinking at Harry's.
Knightlight
Hummm let's see....Move along people this is a no black thug zone. Yeah that works.
Inca
AG
So the police couldn't solve the problem but a security guard hired by McDonald's would have?
BCStalk
I have read every post on this subject on here and news sites. This here is it. All security would have done is cause more injuries/deaths. Put an armed security guard, kids would have gotten shot, put an unarmed security guard and he would have probably died.
CrazyAgE
Interesting how the OP started this and ranted and has yet to come back to discuss.
GoneGirl
AG
quote:
Are you questioning the police officer's estimate or whether the article actually cited testimony(?) It is not clear the officers statement was from testimony.

I'm questioning how a legitimate journalist can quote an un-named police officer, when such a statement would have come from the agency PIO.
mil393
Crazy, I merely posted the article, which was news to me because of the local news blackout. I have no personal knowledge to share. As a long-time resident, I was surprised to learn facts that had not been reported in the long time which had passed! I would be interested in seeing replies from the local media with citations of their specific reporting and/or corrections of items in this article.
unmade bed
That article is filled with misstatements and outright lies. For example, the fight lasted less than 3 minutes. The article says they were beaten for several minutes. I suppose 3 is "several" but that's a stretch. The most egregious though is the claim that McDonald's pathologist conceded the kid was beaten to death. McDonald's (almost comically) called only ONE witness, and their only witness specifically challenged this conclusion. There were several other whites at McDonald's that night (some even were witnesses in the lawsuit) and the mob of 400 angry black men looking for a whitey to stomp left them all alone for some reason.

Fortunately for the author of that article who implies the black mob escaped criminal prosecution because of our racist black DA, the family of the victims can still go after those thugs in civil court for the wrongful deaths that they caused. Surely those thugs were named as co-defendants in the lawsuit, right???
lost my dog
I hate to say this, but this whole situation is so obviously a case of suing the deepest pocket. Why is Hurricane Harry's not sued - they served the underage victims? Why is the Culpepper LP not sued - they own the parking lot where this all happened? Why is the family of the man who died not suing the family of his female friend who was driving and ran the light and got hit by the car on their mad dash to the hospital after the fight?

Given the way the courts and legislature of the state of Texas have attacked lawsuits like this, I won't be surprised if this is overturned on appeal.

As for suing the parties who did the beating - they have no money. Good luck getting a lawyer to take your case on contingency there.
Inca
AG
Bill Turner was the DA at the time of the incident and until the end of February. He had plenty of time to prosecute anyone involved.

I question how legitimate this "journalist" is. The author is obviously promoting his own agenda. And he is not even trying to hide that fact.
PrincessButtercup
AG
I seriously don't get why the actual criminals (not implying McDonald's played no part in the tragedy) aren't being held accountable.
Inca
AG
quote:
I hate to say this, but this whole situation is so obviously a case of suing the deepest pocket. Why is Hurricane Harry's not sued - they served the underage victims? Why is the Culpepper LP not sued - they own the parking lot where this all happened? Why is the family of the man who died not suing the family of his female friend who was driving and ran the light and got hit by the car on their mad dash to the hospital after the fight?

Given the way the courts and legislature of the state of Texas have attacked lawsuits like this, I won't be surprised if this is overturned on appeal.

As for suing the parties who did the beating - they have no money. Good luck getting a lawyer to take your case on contingency there.

Exactly. And this article sounds like it was written by a relative of the victim. To say it is one-sided would be an understatement.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.