Building a home on land...need contractor recommendation (survey, well, septic,founda

6,469 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by jeremy360
jeremy360
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Looking at building a home in grimes county. Would like to get contractor recommendations for:

Land survey

Water Well

Septic (non-aerobic)

48x48 and 48x32 Concrete slabs (heard good things about ponce/legacy)

Engineering for the slabs

Spray in closed cell insulation

Someone to "dry in" in the house (frame and roof only

Metal standing seam roofiing

The home is a 32x40 rectangle (1280 sqft)

Thanks a lot for the advice yall. Want to use people that ppl have been happy with.

-Jeremy

GSS
quote:
Septic (non-aerobic)

Aerobic systems are a great example of "governments knows best (but really doesn't)".
They have their place, but not in the way imposed on the public/landowners.
befitter
Seriously? We have had aerobic system since 1999. It's a no brainer. Call James Heath.
carpe vinum
AG
Your soil may be different there, but clay soil and anaerobic don't work too well together. You may want to get some additional opinions on that.
Regardless, we priced them recently and Barry Wilkerson had the best price followed by Steve Bates. Google them, if you can't find contact info I can try to find my notes.

Had a bad experience with Garrett Engineering on our last survey, we'll be using someone else in the future.
jeremy360
Thanks carpe...thats exactly the type info I was looking for. I will have a perk test done on the soil. Soil maps show I should be ok with a decent field but wont know until a soil test is done.

Good experiences and bad experiences are VERY helpful. I'm price conscious...but not if it means substandard quality or service.

I'll look them up and give those guys a call as a start.
rilloaggie
AG
stinkerbelle
I don't have any recommendations for any of your request except for a surveyor. I deal with survey's every single day from all the local surveyor's and surrounding counties and Brad Kerr is by far the best survey's/surveyor I deal with. Least mistakes and when there are, a phone call and short discussion gets you a corrected/revised survey immediately and very friendly.
The worst has already been mentioned so that saves me from mentioning any names....
DBSwooper
Gessner Engineering are the go to folks for soils, foundations and other civil needs.
jeremy360
Thanks Rillo...email sent.

Thanks for the recommendation DBS and Stinker.

I can't thank yall enough. These recommendations will give me a good place to start me doing my homework.

1st hand experience is something valuable for sure.
rilloaggie
AG
Haven't received an email yet but I'll be on the lookout for it!
jeremy360
email might be going slow. attached a pic and rough drawing to it.
jeremy360
Any other recommendations or experiences?
makingaliving
Call Philip at 940.231.6707. www.cm-contracting.com. He has extensive experience building homes in the country, metal building homes and barndominiums. He can help you, advise you from the beginning of your project to the end, and he can build it for you if you'd like.
jeremy360
Thanks dgm. Ill give him a call.
jamesnithan
You could find home builders and all other contractors from contractor referral websites, in addition to this, you could also read reviews and ratings before you hire a contractor. Get a directory list of home builders in and around the Texas @ http://www.hirecontractor.com/tsearch/forconsultants/home+builders,+texas/1/1

[This message has been edited by jamesnithan (edited 4/3/2014 8:41a).]
carpe vinum
AG
I'd probably call Marty Easterling for a General Contractor.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
quote:
Septic (non-aerobic)

Good luck with that. Brazos County will make you run about 35 miles of drain line.

I was drug kicking and screaming to an aerobic system by Brazos County but in the long run, it was the best thing I could have done.

Contact James Heath (like the precious poster said) and you life will be much easier.

jeremy360
Thanks james. Didnt know that existed. Will look into Marty Carpe.

Brazos county observer - this will be grimes county so hopefully it will be easier. A perk test will tell what I have to have or not.
carpe vinum
AG
You'll need an environmental services guy to draw your septic system. I probably would not use David Pickens again. I'd at least call around, he is widely recommended.
GSS
Typically based on the expertise of the installer, "field lines/evaporative" system worked extremely well before aerobic systems became a necessity for the high density rural developments. Even in heavy soil, a correctly installed set of field lines can work just fine (been there, done that).

Virtually all landowners (regardless of acreage) were screwed over by the aerobic requirement, "maintenance agreements" (with no actual maintenance), and parts that will/do wear out.
Muzzleblast
Here is my .02 worth of recommendations:

Water Well - Call Ken Starr of Starr Water Wells @ 936-348-4045. Ken is located in Madisonville.

Septic - Christian Wastewater in Navasota. 936-588-1852

Engineering / Permitting - L Squared Engineering in Montgomery. 936-689-2006

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 6/30/2014 6:37p).]
ksevern
AG
Currently building my own barndominium in Burleson County. Unless you are paying 100% cash for the building, get all of the financing up front.

While we qualified for the amount we wanted to borrow, new federal regs changed how much they could lend us on the slab and metal building.... All related to appraisal and not to actual construction costs. So we had to amend our contract and add stuff on there that we had planned to pay cash for.... Ending up with the same amount borrowed, but it caused a three week work stoppage.

Willis Custom Homes is my wonderful contractor!

[This message has been edited by ksevern (edited 4/4/2014 2:14p).]
SARATOGA
did you buy your land recently ? How much did you pay per acre if you don't mind me asking ??
jeremy360
Thanks muzzleblast. Talked with CM...wasnt impressed at all. Seemed just like what you said.

No loan. Will call willis custom homes.

Family land, no purchase.
jeremy360
http://forums.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2465050&forum_id=34

for sketch and pics
Muzzleblast
Glad I could keep you from the ordeal I've been through.
I'd call Willis. I know ksevern and they are good folks.
I may be calling too. I think I'm going to add another building for more storage space.
jeremy360
Thanks Muzzleblast. I just talked to him on the phone. Seemed like a good guy so far. He will be getting back with me.

Maybe we can get him to cut a two for one deal!
jeremy360
Talked with Willis and am looking at one of their homes today.

Just an update.
Muzzleblast
Jeremy, are you going to post pictures of what you see and perhaps some thoughts?
Would be helpful if you can do that.
jeremy360
Didnt see this until late. His home was great. Seemed like very good quality and attention to detail. Went on my lunch break so I was super rushed.
Lairbair
Hi Jeremy360, just came across these posts as I am looking for a GC for a barndominium. Was wondering if you had an update on your search and what relevant info you might want to share. thanks!
SCHTICK00
AG
quote:
Call Philip at 940.231.6707. www.cm-contracting.com. He has extensive experience building homes in the country, metal building homes and barndominiums. He can help you, advise you from the beginning of your project to the end, and he can build it for you if you'd like.

Would be the most regrettable mistake you ever make concerning construction. Don't know where, but there's a thread here confirming what I'm saying. Stay far away.
originaltexan
edit..did not realize the structure....!!!

seems like an awesome idea
SCHTICK00
AG
quote:
AVERAGE DESIGN AND NORMAL EVERYDAY STUFF , FIGURE $105 A SQ FT

EXTRAS AND CUSTOM FIXTURES, BETTER BUILDING MATERIALS $135 A SQ FT
SCHTICK00
AG
Built a 75x50x16 with 25x75 lean to on concrete with 20x50 of it finished out with foam insulation and granite countertops for $30/sf. Building had 3-12x12 and 2-10x12 roll up doors, professionally wired in conduit and foam insulation throughout. $100/sf is CRAZY!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.