Golds or Aerofit

14,391 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by AggiePirate
RG20
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which would you say is better for the buck? FYI, not interested in Aggieland Fitness Dome due to location.
justalocal
Golds. I'm sure things have changed at Aerofit but the one time that I checked them out, many of their machines were out of service and their weights looked to be in horrible condition. I heard this wasn't atypical. However, that was a long time ago but still sticks out in my head.
FlyRod
Golds. Not even close.
ekonoag
AG
Definitely tour all the facilities you would frequent to see amenities first-hand. Which facility is "better" for you will depend on what you want to do at the gym.

Aerofit generally has more variety in the amenities it offers - it's not just a "gym" but more of a health club type facility.

For example, here is a list of amenities that I think Aerofit has that Gold's does not:

Racquetball courts
Tennis courts
Hot tubs
Indoor heated pool (Villa Maria location)
Outdoor pools (Carter Creek location)
Indoor basketball court (Villa Maria location)

If you won't use the above amenities (e.g. you only use cardio studio equipment and weights/machines) then Gold's gym generally has nicer everything in those departments.

As far as membership costs, be careful when comparing the two. I recall Aerofit is a pure monthly fee (i.e. 12 payments per year), while Gold's was bi-weekly or something (i.e. 26 payments per year) and NOT two payments per month. You can't just double the Gold's payment to get a monthly equivalent for comparison.

Also, Aerofit charges a "facility enhancement fee" once a year. I don't recall the amount and I don't know if Gold's does something similar. All this said, both places had similar fees when I compared a year ago.

Locations: It sounds like you are not interested in South College Station locations based on your comment regarding the Dome, but Aerofit is adding a location at the College Station Med and also has two of those 24-hour locations - one by Target in Bryan off the bypass and the other in College Station on Wellborn Rd.
Tradishun
Golds.
C XX I
Golds does have a hot tub, fwiw.
BigPete259
Aerofit is for regular people. Gold's is for millennial hipsters.

choose accordingly
FlyRod
You've obviously never been to the Golds in Bryan.
C XX I
Or the golds in college station.
BigPete259
Nope, neither. my apartment has a nice fitness center so my opinion is moot.
iloveAP
AG
Golds
bushytailed
AG
The GGX classes at Gold's are great. They use the Les Mills programs.
DontBeTriggered
AEROFIT FOR SURE! With 2 24-hour gyms to choose from, and 2 clubs with indoor/outdoor pools...plus new club on the way... it is truly a great place to workout! I'm a member and love the staff and facilities!

sent from my iBrain via my iFingers
iloveAP
AG
One thing I love about Golds is getting to use other Golds gyms when I travel to other cities/states with Golds.
befitter
Golds....but I work there so I could be bias. If you would like a 7 Day pass let me know and I will leave you one at the desk. Must be 18 years old, and a local resident.
Average Joe
AG
My wife and I chose Aerofit a little over a year ago and couldn't be happier. The rib felt a little more comfortable at Aerofit, and I liked that they were a local business.
Max06
AG
Does gold's still have a women's only area?.
Corps_Ag12
AG
Hope you plan on staying with golds forever. Getting out of a contract with them is a *****. And you can use other golds gyms, but I found out you have to pay if it's not your "home" golds gym.
bushytailed
AG
Yes, both BCS Gold's locations have women's only areas.

I've used my BCS Gold's membership when I've traveled to Austin and have never been charged a fee.
befitter
Yes, both gyms have Women's only areas and a membership can be used at either gym. As well, you can travel and use another Golds gym up to 14 times per year.
iloveAP
AG
Befitter- since you work at Gold's, can you pleeeeaaaaase work your magic or whatever to get music to be played in the women's gyms? I hate that there's no music (other than when I have headphones on) but rather a tv that's usually on some mind numbing program. I'd love for it to feel like the rest of the gym and less like the wimpy old lady area.

I've asked 2 different people that work at the CS gym before but all they've told me is they'd check to see if that's possible. Dumb.

[This message has been edited by iloveAP (edited 7/24/2013 11:16p).]
iloveAP
AG
One more thing - what do you do at Gold's? Do you work up at the front, personal trainer, teach?
befitter
I teach GGX. My suggestion for that is write it down on one of the comment cards. Those actually DO get read by the operations manager. I don't think we have speakers in the ceiling for that room. I will ask that question this morning when I go in today....but do use the suggestion box for this one.
Brother Mouzone
AG
Went to Aerofit with FIL last month. The weights were the same set from when I worked out there is 94-98.
Ragnar Danneskjold
golds was a miserable experience
iloveAP
AG
What happened that made it so miserable?
MisterShipWreck
I need the indoor pool, so Aerofit
PrincessButtercup
AG
Golds
crbrk5
Aerofit Gym Membership/Will pay transer fee!!(1 person; Can Add more) I may be going abroad or interning pretty soonfor school and need to transfer my membership. The amenities include FULL
SERVICE for ALL 5 locations. 2 locations are 24 hours (very convenient). If you
have children I have NURSERY CARE BENEFITS (2 hours a day per child). I pay
$54.13 a month (tax already included) and there are 17 months left on the
membership. You can also add other people to the account (if you want to
include family members, etc.) There is a TRANSFER FEE of $53.00. Usually the
two parties split the fee but I WILL PAY FOR THE ENTIRE FEE!!! Good Deal don't
you think!!!! you can contact me atSmartbrotha08@yahoo.com.
aggiesed8r
AG
Build your own at home.
AggiePirate
AG
quote:
Hope you plan on staying with golds forever. Getting out of a contract with them is a *****. And you can use other golds gyms, but I found out you have to pay if it's not your "home" golds gym.
Or just wait until your contract ends. I will often call them on the last week of my contract and threaten to take my business to Suddenlink. Usually get at least a free sauna trip out of it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.