New food truck in BCS run by TAMU?

6,472 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 10 yr ago by AggieJason
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Driving east on University today, I was passed by what was obviously a food truck (design and layout) that was painted maroon, had the "gig 'em" symbol on it, and the name "Gig 'Em and Go" on the side.
Googled and found nothing. Anyone catch this truck yet?
PS3D
I think it is TAMU Dining owned. It appears to serve tacos, and appears on West Campus or near Mosher.

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 4/4/2013 6:02p).]
Andrew-HDC
It was serving outside the new Liberal Arts and Animal Industries buildings today. I didn't stop by to see a menu or ask their schedule.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Well it's actually run by Compass (outsourcing) but you're on the right track.
FlyRod
Interesting...why would Compass have a food truck?

Just checked the Dining Services website and there is no mention of it. Weird. May give them a call tomorrow and see if I can get a schedule.

[This message has been edited by FlyRod (edited 4/4/2013 7:57p).]
Scruffy
AG
I tried it the other day.

Food was over priced and not very good.

Side note: I thought it was a bit insensitive and racist they have "gringo tacos".
AgResearch
AG
quote:
Food was over priced and not very good.

MyBCS never disappoints....

[This message has been edited by AgResearch (edited 4/4/2013 9:48p).]
PS3D
Yes, the term "gringo tacos" I do remember. Well, there's a Tex-Mex chain called "Gringo's" in Houston...
Tailgate88
AG
Please don't subject yourself to the "insensitive" menu at Lupe Tortilla. The cheeeeeken might be too much to bear.

[This message has been edited by Tailgate88 (edited 4/5/2013 7:22a).]
Scruffy
AG
I just found it amusing that for all the pressure to remove any potentially offensive language and terms on campus, dining would name something like that.

What's next? Mujado chicken? Negro beef? Injun pork?

And yes, at $5/taco it was over priced and not very good.
FlyRod
Scruffy, can you confirm the name of the truck is "Gig 'Em and Go" and can you shed some light on their locations, e.g. where did you find it?
originaltexan
Just go to Chuys and get a #5. Impartial dinner
Scruffy
AG
I don't rember the name, but gig em and go sounds right.

I heard them say they had a Facebook page where they showed locations they would be, I've not checked dining's website for info.

I happened to see them behind the commons loading dock last Tuesday and tried them. I think they said normally they were over by the pavilion on Tuesdays, but some trucks were blocking the area so they moved to there.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Eating it right now. Food is decent. Good portions. Gringo Taco, meat a little bland for my taste, but it's prepared well. The poblano queso is great. I'd eat it again, but I don't think Chef Tai needs to be worried about competition.

[This message has been edited by Sweet Kitten Feet (edited 4/5/2013 12:25p).]
aggiewrench
I thought gringo's in houston was awesome
AggiePhil
AG
That's cool. More trucks is a good thing.
techno-ag
AG
quote:
That's cool. More trucks is a good thing.
CDub06
AG
quote:
Gringo Taco, meat a little bland for my taste

Maybe it's time you work your way to the Mestizo taco?

More food trucks is indeed a good thing.

Now something else I love: At Cal-State Fullerton baseball & softball, the university has an area for food trucks. They did some good business when I was there. This isn't necessarily applicable to Aggie baseball because of the setup and the already decent selection of food items. But I'd love some Chef Tai at Aggie Soccer...
PS3D

[This message has been edited by PS3D (edited 4/9/2013 8:31p).]
TKDMom
quote:
Yes, the term "gringo tacos" I do remember. Well, there's a Tex-Mex chain called "Gringo's" in Houston...

I don't get the implication that "Gringo" is racist. It's just a slang term for white Americans.

We ate at Gringos on 290 at lunchtime a few weeks ago. Food there is amazing. Wish we had one closer, but I don't think our market can handle another Mexican place.

AggiePhil
AG
Menu looks good.
AboveAndBeyond
Mom, please tell me you're joking about that word not being racist.... Maybe they can serve Güero Queso too
AboveAndBeyond
Also. I second seeing it at baseball/softball/soccer/etc.... That would be awesome!!
AggieJason
AG
quote:
Eating it right now. Food is decent. Good portions. Gringo Taco, meat a little bland for my taste, but it's prepared well. The poblano queso is great. I'd eat it again, but I don't think Chef Tai needs to be worried about competition.

Levi J.?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.