Private Swim Lessons?

15,447 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by gigemags03
meezermom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We have taken lessons from the City of College Station the last two summers, and this year I would really like to find out about private lessons instead. The instructors the city uses are fantastic, and my kids really enjoyed the program, but I think they need a little more one-on-one instruction. I have a 3-year-old who is pretty water timid and a 4-year-old who thinks he can swim despite the fact that he didn't master any skills in his swim class last summer so I'm hoping a little but of personal instruction could help them. Any ideas?
FNG
There is a family on Capstone between Wellborn Road and I&GN Road that taught my son how to swim. They have a pool and teach swim lessons each year.

I can find out if they are still doing that if you like.
BCSFITNESS
Hey Meezermom,
BCS Fitness will be offering private swim lessons again this summer. Lessons will be available on a first come, first serve basis Mon/Wed/Fri from 900am-1230p. Lessons are 30 minutes in duration and are available in packages of 4 or 8 consecutive lessons.

Please email me at brad@bcsfitness.com if you are interested in an alternative time. The above schedule is based on demand from previous summers.

Please let us know if we can help in any way!
--
Brad Tillery-Owner/Certified Personal Trainer
BCS Fitness
4301 South Texas Ave Unit A
Bryan, TX 77802
979-575-7871
BCS Fitness Website
brad@bcsfitness.com
meezermom
I called this morning, but you don't have any available times that aren't during work hours for us, so those times won't work. Evenings and weekends are pretty much what we could do. If you get some times set up that are after work we'd love to come during the week!
TRB_04706
My son is a certified lifeguard and swam competitively for 12 years in Chicago until he injured his shoulder. He's currently a Blinn student and he's looking for a summer job. He is great with kids and was the most sought after instructor when we lived in Chicago. He is perfect for one on one swimming for just learning to swim or teaching kids who need technique help.

My name is Robb Everett and I am the General Manager of Tony Roma's in Bryan. If youre interested, please give me a call at the restaurant. 979-731-7427
threecatcorner
I agree with the other poster who said that evening and/or weekend classes would be good.

I barely got my son into an evening class with CS last year. They only had 1 evening class per session for 3-5 year olds with parents, and those were filling up in no time flat. I think if they added another class, it would have filled too.
BCSFITNESS
UPDATE: BCS Fitness will offer evening private swim lessons starting May 30th. Just spoke with Starr (swim instructor) and she would love to offer evening lessons Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday evenings from 4pm-630p.

Please call us at 979-575-7871 to reserve your time.

(4 Consecutive Lessons) $75
(8 Consecutive Lessons) $120

Thank you so much!

--
Brad Tillery-Owner/Certified Personal Trainer
BCS Fitness
4301 South Texas Ave Unit A
Bryan, TX 77802
979-575-7871
BCS Fitness Website
brad@bcsfitness.com

firefly1204
Where will the swim lessons be held? Do you have a pool at your facility?
meezermom
This sounds awesome! We could not do lessons on Monday, however. Is this a problem? We could do Tuesday and Thursday for a couple or three weeks, though, if that's OK with Starr. Thanks for the update - we're VERY interested so let me know about not being able to come on Mondays and I'll get in touch about times!
justalocal
FNG - I would be interested in that info. I'm looking for one-on-one lessons for a 2 year old.
threecatcorner
Is 4-6:30 one really long class, or are you offering multiple lessons on the same night?

I think the ones we had through C.S. aquatics were either 30 minutes or an hour long (can't remember which at the moment).
BCSFITNESS
Thank you all so much for the response. Yes, the lessons are 30 minutes each. Our pool is off site right off of Southwest Pkwy in College Station. We have filled about 40% of available spots...so please give me a call at 979-575-7871 and we'll get you times reserved.

Have a great evening!
Brad
FNG
justalocal,

I'll try to get the most up-to-date info tomorrow and post it here.
justalocal
Thanks. I appreciate it.
texanna
Granted I'm not a kid anymore but I took swim lessons through the City of Bryan two summers ago and it was a great experience. I was by far the oldest person out of the classes sharing the pool but hey...I got a t-shirt and certificate just like them :P

I know they offer private classes but fortunately for me, I just paid for the regular class but was the only one to sign up in my age category.
meezermom
Anyone else besides BCS Fitness and the cities that do private lessons that anyone knows of?

I'm so disappointed - my kids really need to learn how to swim, but we aren't able to do anything on Monday evenings or during the day at all (hello, work). Therefore, we can't do the BCS Fitness option and the city option is what we managed to fit in last summer, but we need more one-on-one than their instructors were able to offer.

We would really like to work with some sort of a business rather than an individual freelance type thing, and I am getting desperate to find someone to teach my kids to swim!
justalocal
meezer - I've been told that Aerofit offers private lessons. You could try them.

I, personally, am not looking for a mommy and me class which is what is offered at all the businesses that have classes for a 2 year old. So freelance is the way I'm most likely going to have to go.
meezermom
I'm with you - not interested in a Mommy and Me type thing - I don't want to have to get in the water with them. I actually think that was part of the problem with my son before. I or his dad would be with him and he would get all cocky and think he could do things, but he really couldn't do them without us there. He needs to learn with just an instructor and prove that he can actually do the moves (dunk himself underwater holding breath, float on his back, etc.). And my daughter is pretty fearful of water, so she needs someone who will take time with her - just a Mommy and me type thing will probably not help. Thanks for the Aerofit advice - I'll give them a call!
FNG
justalocal,

I have not forgotten, I just haven't reached them yet!
FNG
justalocal,

Sorry again for the delay but I did get info!

Call Grace at 979-450-8153 to see about scheduling.

FNG
bump for the OP
justalocal
Got it. Thank you FNG.
FNG
Hope it works out for you!
radiantstarr
This is Starr - the person who BCS posted about.

My lessons are not Mommy and Me lessons. The parents are more than welcome to sit on the side of the pool, but I have found that what works best with little ones is to not have mommy in the pool with them. Sometimes they'll even go sit on the patio a few feet away from the swimming pool. Now if parents want to get in with their younger ones, they are more than welcome because I want the child to feel comfortable.

Our small class sizes and the large "tanning" step that is in the pool provide a comforting environment for the child. If you have any questions, I'm more than willing to answer them!!

[This message has been edited by radiantstarr (edited 4/13/2012 12:49p).]
meezermom
Starr - I'm VERY VERY VERY interested in evening classes for both of my children, but when I called I was told that we HAD to come on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. That just doesn't work for us - I've already paid up front for other lessons every Monday evening throughout the summer so we can't do Mondays.

Any ideas of what we can do to get these two swimming? I like to think I'm pretty flexible - I don't care what days of the week, even weekends, but I've already paid for them doing something every Monday and I can't back out. And it can't be during the day because of work... I'd love to come to a solution and have you teach my kids!
justalocal
Mommy and me or private classes seem to be my only option for a 2 year old. I don't want to do mommy and me. I was told that the children have to be 3 years old at BCS Fitness, so my options are limited.
AggieDoc10
AG
Hope no one minds me bumping this. I was searching for BCS swimming lessons and this came up. I'm looking for possible private lessons, but only a few. I know how to swim but I don't breathe right and also want some basic analysis and tips short term. Adult, by the way, if that matters.
JR Ewing
AG
Bump for new season...have two (4 and 5) who need to learn how to swim/hold breath under water, etc. Any recommendations out there? Is BCS doing classes again?
meezermom
It's me again, and another summer where I haven't found anyone to teach my kids to swim.

I tried Aerofit, but their lessons aren't private - it's a small class, but I want private lessons (preferably both of my kids back-to-back each with their own lessons).

BCS Fitness, yet again, won't work for us because we already have a Monday commitment, so we can't do their Monday-Wednesday-Thursday classes.

Anyone currently teaching at their own pool? I'd be happy to have someone come to my house, but, alas, we don't have a pool!
akm99
AG
Aerofit at the Villa Maria location does offer private and semi private lessons. We have used them and have been very pleased.
meezermom
Thank YOU!!!! I will call Villa Maria Aerofit today!
girlmom3
My oldest is taking from a couple of college girls in their parents' pool. There are 2 teachers and 3-4 students per class. 30 minutes each lesson. Message me if you'd like the contact info.
Mr Gigem
AG
I taught swim lessons through the YMCA for 4 years, specializing in ages 3-5. I'd love to help you out.

Feel free to message me if you're interested, and I can also give you some character references.

My email is in my profile

[This message has been edited by AccidentProne (edited 5/22/2013 12:11a).]
aggie2013
AG
I'm certified in teaching swimming lessons and could help out if still needed.
butterflyr
if anyone in the College Station/ Bryan area is looking for private or group swim lessons I am available. Im a junior Tamu student and have swam competitively all my life please let me know if anyone is interested.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.