Outdoors
Sponsored by

Your favorite push mower

3,259 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by aggieforester05
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't have a giant yard so I don't really need a zero turn mower. What is your "go-to" push mower? I've been considering the battery powered ones that Lowes sells. Just not sure how long they'd hold up. Would be nice not having to worry about gas and so forth.
KRamp90
AG
I have the EGO self propelled and like it a lot.
Mathguy64
AG
My favorite was a Lawn Boy circa 1980. They don't make them like that anymore.

Today? EGO. Light. Mine is self propelled but it's so light I push with no effort. Power until the battery goes. It does its job.
ABATTBQ87
AG
TroyBilt or Snapper self propelled mulching blade and rear bagging
SanAntoneAg
AG
Honda gasser self propelled.
Gig 'em! '90
TexDill15
AG
My dad had a Snapper Self Propelled that I prefer over my Toro.

Front wheel pull over AW or Rear wheel.
JB
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

Yep, and can find them all day on marketplace under $200
BQ_90
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Today? EGO. Light. Mine is self propelled but it's so light I push with no effort. Power until the battery goes. It does its job.
how long you get on a charge? I'm looking at them now and wondering how long the battery owould last, my yard is pretty small
P.U.T.U
AG
Dual blade self propel Ryobi, 2 batteries come with it but I can cut my yard with only one. I have a small yard as well but it would take a huge yard with thick grass to go through both batteries.
Mathguy64
AG
BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

how long you get on a charge? I'm looking at them now and wondering how long the battery owould last, my yard is pretty small
1/4 acre and it makes it no problem. But I also edge/weedeat the front, mow the front, sit my fat ass in a chair a drink something and charge the battery, edge/weedeat the back plop the battery in from the charger and mow the back.

I have done it straight through and it makes it though.
cupofjoe04
AG
A motivated teenager.
NRH ag 10
AG
Cheap kobalt electric mower. Not going to say buy that one, but it's been working for 8 years with no maintenance other than sharpening the blades. Electric is the way to go for smaller yards, IMO.
BQ_90
AG
Mathguy64 said:

BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

1/4 acre and it makes it no problem. But I also edge/weedeat the front, mow the front, sit my fat ass in a chair a drink something and charge the battery, edge/weedeat the back plop the battery in from the charger and mow the back.

cool thanks
AgResearch
AG
Honda self propelled or Toro personal pace. Gas.
fullback44
AG
Juan
Teslag
AG
What's the point of having gas instead of electric on a push mower these days?
GasPasser97
AG
The smell
schmellba99
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

My buddy brought one to deer camp a couple of weeks ago that had been sitting in his dad's shed for about 3, maybe 4 years, hadn't run in forever.

Over the course of a couple of beers, I cleaned the air filter, drained the carb of the old gas that was without a doubt bad and gave the carb a hell of a good washdown with brake parts cleaner. Bolted everything back, put some fresh gas in and pulled the cord. Fired up like it had been running all along. I never even bothered looking at the spark plug, but it seems to be fine.

Hard to beat a Honda engine on those things.
jc1402
AG
GasPasser97 said:

The smell

Username checks out lol
txags92
AG
BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

I used to do about 8,000 sq ft of yard with one charge of a 7.5 ah battery if I used the self propelled sparingly. Now I can do our 3500 sq ft of lawn on about 1/2 charge.
TXAG 05
AG
Craftsman with a Honda engine
bowhuntr
Toro Timemaster
kdm_01
AG
BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

BQ_90 said:

Mathguy64 said:

cool thanks

This is beginning year 4 for my Ego (original batteries) and it has been good. Yard is not large but I need two batteries to finish it. If the grass is damp at all it really struggles and bogs down. If the grass is long, like more than 10 days between mowings, it struggles.

I like the Ego trimmer, edger and even the chainsaw for casual use. I clicked into here looking for a small gas push mower.

Edit: yard is about 7500 sq ft.
SteveBott
AG
I have the Eco mower with 56 volt battery. I've been using no problems for a year. Battery barely last my entire yard. Around 4500 sq ft. I also have two smaller batteries for my blower and weed eater that can plug in if I need back up. No complaints at all.
txags92
AG
Something to keep in mind when reading about people's experiences with their batteries is that there are multiple different sizes of batteries. I have a 7.5 Ah and a 4 Ah. I can mow the whole yard on the 7.5 Ah, but would have to charge midway to try it all with the 4 Ah. Also keep in mind that the batteries charge pretty quickly if you use the rapid charger (about 55-60 mins for the 7.5 Ah and 40-45 mins for the 4 Ah has been my experience).
mtngoat3006
A Honda HRX217VKA self propelled mower is quite possibly the best gas powered land mower on the residential market for small to medium yards. Buy once, cry once at $799 from Home Depot. You will not be disappointed!
killbutchereat
I have an old (circa 2010?) Neuton battery mower that came with my house when I moved in this year. If I replace it, I'll be staying with an electric. It's so much quieter than a gas. 36 V battery will cover the entire 1/3 acre. Don't know if previous owner ever replaced it. I don't know about the modern market, but I was impressed with the electric once I used it.
TAMUallen
AG
Have a Toro and it gas been a beast. Typically use it out at the ranch in west texas the past decade or so. I've beat that thing up so much but it just keeps on going. It handles cutting down little mesquites and thick grass quite well
Micropterus
AG
quote=easttexasaggie04
Obligatory
sonnysixkiller
AG
One that fing starts
HumpitPuryear
AG
The Honda branded mowers are expensive. Look for a craftsman or something with a Honda engine and get the same reliability for less $
easttexasaggie04
AG
Thanks for the tips. I ended up getting this one...

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-56-Volt-Brushless-Lithium-Ion-Self-Propelled-21-in-Cordless-Electric-Lawn-Mower-Battery-Included/5000200363
JD05AG
AG
The one someone else is pushing.
SteveBott
AG
That's the one I have. Battery charges in 45-60 minutes.
NoahAg
I like my Honda and plan on running it many, many more years.
I happened to walk down the mower aisle at Lowe's and was surprised that they mainly carry electric mowers now. Only 2 gas powered in stock.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.