Outdoors
Sponsored by

Special Hunt?

2,088 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by Hoosegow
R2Fish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Alittle backstory:

My father has been battling cancer going on 2 years now. He has stopped his chemo and now just letting it take its course.

He also has been the biggest outdoors guy I've known. Hunting and Fishing up and down the Navasota River bottoms just outside of College Station. He retired from City of College Station 7years ago and moved out of state. I want to give him a hunt this fall. He couldn't hunt last year cause of chemo. He's never harvested an Axis and I want to gift him that. I'm not able to afford both us an Axis so I'd just be a guest. I want him to feel great, have that excitement back in his face. And I just want it for the memories.

If anyone has a place to recommend I'm all ears as I've never booked a hunt of any sort? I'm open to anywhere in the state.

Thanks.
Goodest Poster
AG
Man, im really sorry to hear that.

How is his mobility? Would he need special accommodations? Are you looking for a "stand hunt"? Can he shoot a bow?
Always the most goodest
R2Fish
He can still get around ok but I think a stand hunt would probably fit him better? And yes, he's been an avid archery hunter since I was a youngin.

I guess I should have mentioned I'm up for any other ideas on a hunt that maybe someone's done with same circumstances?

Pic of Dad w/ boar from the Navasota bottom few years back.
Cibalo
I took my dad on an Axis hunt last Fall at Flying A Ranch. It was box blind hunting with a guide. In the September heat wave so it was a sweat box but we had a great time.

https://flyingaranch.net/
GinMan
AG
Have you considered a Nilgai hunt in Deep South Texas? They also do Axis hunts in a great area outside of Sonora.
wildlifesystems.com
Aggie owned and operated.
Greg Simons is the owner/operator. I've hunted with him on the Yturria (deep south Texas) in the past.
He will 100% listen to you and cater to your needs.
Spot and stalk on Axis (or Nilgai) is a great hunt and I'm certain they can make that work for you. They also have ranches for box blind hunts.

A Nilgai trip on the King Ranch is also a really cool trip and the pricing might surprise you!

My son has worked and guided hunts at Texfari Ranches (texafari.com). He really has respect for the owners of this operation. They are located west of Junction outside of Roosevelt.
Hungry Ojos
Dang, just looked it up. $1500 for a Nilgai day trip on the King Ranch doesn't seem that bad.
chocolatelabs
AG
I'd look at a pronghorn hunt. Not very strenuous at all
ItsA&InotA&M
Hungry Ojos said:

Dang, just looked it up. $1500 for a Nilgai day trip on the King Ranch doesn't seem that bad.

Look again. The $1,500 is for hunting, not killing. Kill a bull? Add $1,750. Kill a cow? Add $900.
Goodest Poster
AG
Adrenaline Bow Hunts
Jason Lanier
1950 for an axis bull (over 27 inches only) and doe. But it is TOUGH. They dont roll up to feeders. Best chance is stalking in creeks or tower stand by water.

Take a look at their stuff and if you end up there let me know what week.
Lots of other good recommendations above too.
Always the most goodest
GinMan
AG
ItsA&InotA&M said:

Hungry Ojos said:

Look again. The $1,500 is for hunting, not killing. Kill a bull? Add $1,750. Kill a cow? Add $900.

Still a good deal to hunt on the King Ranch. The best time to go is the day after MLD Whitetail season ends. It's fun just seeing the wildlife the King Ranch offers. The whitetail will still have their antlers.
Goodest Poster
AG
OP,
I just exchanged some texts with Jason at Adrenaline Bowhunts just outside of Seguin. We think you should take dad there for 3 days.
We got him covered on the axis hunt cost. He can sit in some stands and ground blinds and see exotics up close, chase axis as hard as he wants, and shoot pigs at night.
I will also cover your costs as a spectator. If you decide to upgrade into a hunt lemme know and we can figure out what that looks like. My advice would be to focus on Dad's hunt as I think that time together will be invaluable.
Likely yall have the ranch to yourselves (with the cook and ranch hand), but send me dates and I may bring my son and stay in the other cabin. Id like to try and be there with yall and help increase his success in getting an axis.

Summer is hot...brutally hot. But the big hard horned axis are easiest to kill in summer due to them requiring water.

Always the most goodest
Goodest Poster
AG
Oh, and the pigs

Adrenaline is a bow hunt only ranch- no guns.
If you decide that a rifle stand hunt somewhere esle is a better fit, id be happy to help with some the cost. Please dont miss the opportunity for another adventure with Dad.
Always the most goodest
raidernarizona
That's the Goodest Bull! Very cool of you GP!

Best of luck to the OP and his Dad on their hunt! Lost my Dad to cancer 3 years ago this month, so this post is very touching!
Agape91
AG
Definitely a "username checks out"!
R2Fish
Goodest Poster said:

Oh, and the pigs

Adrenaline is a bow hunt only ranch- no guns.
If you decide that a rifle stand hunt somewhere esle is a better fit, id be happy to help with some the cost. Please dont miss the opportunity for another adventure with Dad.

I'm at a loss of words and touched by this. I don't even know what to say to this. I'll PM you this evening if that's ok?

tamc93
AG
Sorry to hear about your father, but glad someone stepped in to help ya'll.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Hoosegow
And that is what folks in Texas were like 40 years ago.

User name definitely checks out. Good bull Goodest Poster... Good bull.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.