Outdoors
Sponsored by

Thinking about buying a boat

3,814 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by civilized05
Aggie_Eric98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have always heard the two best days in owning a boat were buying and selling it. We are being relocated to Mississippi and will be 15 minutes from Sardis lake. I am looking for a family cruising boat which we can ski, tube and cruise around in. Currently my kids are 8, 6, 2 but would want a boat they could grow into.

Any idea what I should be looking for as well as price ranges? Is $15k going to be enough for a decent book that will not break down every summer?
Gardening Ag
I had about the same budget w/ 3 kids as well. We ended up going with an 18-foot pontoon with a 90 horse. We can run at top speed about 25 miles per hour, pull a tube behind it or just cruise around.

You can get an older ski boat for about that price, but what do you do if you want to invite friends along? That was our dilemma, another couple with two or three kids gets pretty crowded. It's all a trade-off with boats. It just comes down to what you want.
Hobbes01
AG
If those are the two best days of boat ownership, then they used it all wrong!!

We went with a 17 year old boat, but one that had the engine replaced 2 years prior to us buying it thanks to a bad winterizing job. So while the outdrive showed its age and led me to replacing both bellows before ever putting it into the water, the boat has been amazingly reliable. We also paid less than $8k for it, with a trailer ('96 Chaparral 210 Sunesta). Only other real cost was having two cushions reupholstered, which was not particularly cheap either. The impeller on the water pump was also way overdue for being replaced, which I fortunately did before ever putting it into the water. I did all the work myself, except the reupholstery, thanks to how-to manuals and Youtube videos.

Ours is a deck boat (not a pontoon boat), which we really liked the layout better than the traditional bow rider / runabout. The seating is more open. Having two young daughters, the small on-board port-a-potty hatch has come in handy a few times too.

$15k definitely seems doable as long as you are patient. Being the start of summer, prices will be higher compared to fall when folks are facing another winter of storage costs / non-use. We bought ours in August and likely contributed to the lower cost. I would also do some research on brands. While not as easy to find reliable info as it is with cars, my understanding is Tahoe is at the very bottom, then Bayliner, and then a solid selection between Sea Ray, Chaparral, Regal, Crownline, Cobalt (ignoring the high end wakeboard lines).

Best of luck on your search. We have loved boat ownership and having the boat in the neighborhood marina, while expensive, means we use it way more often than if we had to hassle with trailering. Being able to share the boat by inviting other families out with us has also helped us to justify the costs involved.
Tumble Weed
15k is plenty. I spent 8k on my first cobalt 220. 7 years later, it is still worth 8k. Lots of good value on the market if you will wait until September or October.
TresPuertas
AG
OP. I have a 2001 22 foot chaparral ssi we are thinking about selling. It's been a great boat and we've loved it but are likely going to sell it for a pontoon. (Between my brother and I's family, there are 9 people). It sounds like it would be perfect for what you're looking for.

It's in good shape and we have taken really good care of it and it would be below your budget.

Let me know if you would be interested
JSKolache
AG
Locals say Sardis is best crappie lake in the state, if you like to fish.
FIDO*98*
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

I have always heard the two best days in owning a boat were buying and selling it. We are being relocated to Mississippi and will be 15 minutes from Sardis lake. I am looking for a family cruising boat which we can ski, tube and cruise around in. Currently my kids are 8, 6, 2 but would want a boat they could grow into.

Any idea what I should be looking for as well as price ranges? Is $15k going to be enough for a decent book that will not break down every summer?

I love boats and boating and will never be without one. Many people get into boats not realizing they do cost a lot of $$ after the sale. $15,000 is plenty to get into a good, reliable boat, but, I'd budget somewhere in the neighborhood of 5K/yr in ownership costs. You may well be way under that, however, if that is your expectation you won't freak out when you take it into the shop for a $30 part and end up with a $250 bill due to shop hours.

I've owned 2 boats for "free". Bought a '94 Chris Craft in '01 for 10K and sold it 3 relatively trouble free years later for 10K. Went boatless for about 2 years and picked up an Blue Wave 220 for 17K and sold it 2 years later for the same.
LRHF
AG
About what I would have said. We bought a new Malibu in 2001 and do basic maintenance and winterization on our own. We've only had minor wear and tear issues, wouldn't live in Texas without s boat!
aggiedata
AG
In other words: $15,000 is just the down payment on a $15,000 boat.
Aggie_Eric98
AG
Do you Ags with boats find younger kids enjoy going out on the lake or iam I going to have to drag them away from the XBox and tell them we are going.

As a kid, my mom would pack an ice chest with sandwiches and snacks and we would love going out there every weekend, but kids have changed.
burtonsnow
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

Do you Ags with boats find younger kids enjoy going out on the lake or iam I going to have to drag them away from the XBox and tell them we are going.

As a kid, my mom would pack an ice chest with sandwiches and snacks and we would love going out there every weekend, but kids have changed.
I take my nephew out on the lake all of the time. He only gets bored if the bite is really slow, but he always wants to go back out onto the water as soon as possible and will call and text me about it. He's been that way since he was 6, and he's 10 now. But, I think it really depends on how much they like being on the water, and I'm really lucky he loves to fish as much as he does.

One thing I do when the weather is warm is I'll stop fishing and let him swim if the fishing is slow or he looks bored.
Caliber
AG
Aggie_Eric98 said:

I think kids will surprise you. Kids aren't the ones who have changes so much as the parents... One reason they like gaming is because it's unstructured time where they just get to play/explore, which is something that kids don't get nearly as much time for these days. That goes even more so for unstructured outdoor time.

Make the boat trips about having fun as a family. The only structure you need to try to apply is getting them out of the house at a decent time, but don't get all pissy if it takes an extra hour. Let them choose where to go on the boat and what to do. That may sometimes mean playing on the shore the whole day or anything else.

Beckdiesel03
AG
My 6 and 3 yo love going out on our boat but they have always grown up around them. Obviously its a lot easier when friends have boats as well so then they have other kids to play and tube with. My 6 yo will go out fishing with his dad for a good amount of time with no complaints unless it starts getting really hot. We fish with the 3 yo too and he enjoys it but it turns into a real CF fast with both of them fishing. We love having a boat and i cant see us going without one anytime soon especially as ours get big enough to tube and ski etc.
Drip99
AG
We picked up a 2009 hurricane deck boat for 16k recently. So far it's been good. Plenty of power and space.
dman2217
All you need to know about boat costs is what boat really means....Bust Out Another Thousand
MouthBQ98
AG
You guys are getting the wrong boats if your operating expenses are more than gas and 2stroke oil and ramp fees.
AggieChemist
AG
I bought a 30 year old aluminum bass boat with a solid 70 horse outboard for $3000. I spent $500 on preventative maintenance and a power pack. I've added another $500 in electronics and stuff that I just damned well wanted to buy for it.

It's a damn nice little fishing boat and I'm confident I could sell it tomorrow and get my $4k back.
BTHOB-98
The boat is cheap. Its all the stuff that goes with it that is expensive.
CS78
Boatless, is no way to go through life son.
TommyGun
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

You guys are getting the wrong boats if your operating expenses are more than gas and 2stroke oil and ramp fees.

Yep. My 2-stroke Yamaha turned 20 years old this year and all I've ever done to it is replace a few water pumps and change the lower unit oil. Lifetime maintenance of the entire boat over a 20 year period is probably $3000. The bulk of that total came from refurbishing the trailer and doing some gel coat repair after it rubbed up against some rocks.
Wrighty
AG

civilized05
AG
BTHOB-98 said:

The boat is cheap. Its all the stuff that goes with it that is expensive.

After having just bought a boat 2 weeks ago, I can confirm this to be true.

Also B.O.A.T. - Bust Out Another Thousand was never more appropriate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.