Outdoors
Sponsored by

Lucked into a trade in G17

4,604 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BenderRodriguez
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Went to go pick up another cheap Glock 22 for a project over at GT Dist in Austin.

Walked in and they had one used G17 listed at $360. Looked pristine, not sure where it came from but I think someone MAYBE took it to the range once, decided they hated Glocks and traded it in.

Added it to the 6 second mount/red dot combo I picked up used and I have another red dot Glock for ~$600.

Think I'll use the 17 for carry and keep using the comp'd 22 for competitions. Might still put a magwell on the 17 though, we will see.
BreNayPop
AG
Dont u need to downsize the number of guns to save for another big expense coming?
BenderRodriguez
AG
BreNayPop said:

Dont u need to downsize the number of guns to save for another big expense coming?

Money wise, no. Room in the safe wise, yes.

Good thing Glocks are small.
GeronimoAg
AG
Seen you mention before that you carry that type of setup. How exactly do you manage that?
BenderRodriguez
AG
GeronimoAg said:

Seen you mention before that you carry that type of setup. How exactly do you manage that?

I sure do. I know it looks big and heavy.

But keep in mind that an empty 5" steel 1911 weighs 2 lbs, 9.5 oz.

This G17 with mount, red dot and optic only weighs 2 lbs, 3.1 oz empty.

Not a light gun, but I've carried heavier.

As with carrying any other gun, a good belt and holster is really important. I use Magpul Tejas leather belts and a holster from Off the Grid Concepts that I modified to attach bladetech belt loops to carry IWB.

Depending on if I'm carrying it or competing with it, I can use the IWB mount or the dropped offset belt mount.

The last element is a shirt that will work to conceal the gun. Can't get away with tight t shirts and carry this, I have to wear fishing shirts, polos, or a jacket/hoodie to conceal it easily.

I spend most of my practice/competition time shooting the G22 with the red dot, so my thinking is that I should carry what I practice and shoot with the most. I can make consistently good hits on anything from 10" to 18x24" plates under pressure from 10 yard to 35 yards with this setup reliably.
BenderRodriguez
AG
And since I can't resist the urge to show off more gopro footage....

This is the kind of fun I have with red dot glocks.

reddog90
AG
Is that a truglo on the bottom glock in the second pic?
BenderRodriguez
AG
reddog90 said:

Is that a truglo on the bottom glock in the second pic?

Nope. Used Glock 22, KKM barrel with a comp, ALG 6 second mount, Primary Arms microdot, ALG magwell, ZEV trigger.

Top gun has a holosun red dot on an ALG 6SM and is otherwise a stock G17.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Someone else apparently sees the resemblance to a certain smugglers sidearm. Saw this drawing on fb this morning....

gibberish
AG
But but CZ!
BenderRodriguez
AG
gibberish said:

But but CZ!

I still like czs, but brand fanatics are stupid.

Good shooters can shoot anything.
Hoss
AG
Nice gun and nice shooting! I recently switched from carry my old Gen 3 G17 to a new Gen 4 G34, so I can appreciate the work that goes into concealing a big gun. I've never tried it with a light and red dot though.

My G17 has been absolutely flawless since I bought it in either 2003 or 2006 (can't remember off the top of my head) so I hated to put it in the safe, but the new FDE G34 I bought a year or so ago needs some love too.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Hoss said:

I can appreciate the work that goes into concealing a big gun. I've never tried it with a light and red dot though.

They honestly don't add as much weight and bulk as I expected.

The thing that makes the G22 hardest to conceal is the magwell.

I'm much quicker with the dot than irons, and do go out after dark so the slightly increased weight and bulk is more than compensated for by using something I shoot well in competition that is easy to use in low light conditions.
dubi
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

BreNayPop said:

Money wise, no. Room in the safe wise, yes.

Good thing Glocks are small.
You obviously need a bigger safe!
Hoss
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

Hoss said:

I can appreciate the work that goes into concealing a big gun. I've never tried it with a light and red dot though.

They honestly don't add as much weight and bulk as I expected.

The thing that makes the G22 hardest to conceal is the magwell.

I'm much quicker with the dot than irons, and do go out after dark so the slightly increased weight and bulk is more than compensated for by using something I shoot well in competition that is easy to use in low light conditions.

No argument from me. I've always believed you should carry what you train with and train with what you carry.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I should have weighed the dot/mount before I put it on.

I do know that the G17 with the mount/dot/light weighs less than the standard 5" 1911 I used to carry which is pretty wild.

It really is pretty light.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Couldn't hurt....
gibberish
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

gibberish said:

But but CZ!

I still like czs, but brand fanatics are stupid.

Good shooters can shoot anything.

I only regret that I have but one star to give for this post.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Falling steel match this weekend, so I hit the range today to work on target transitions and reloads.

I could shoot either gun in this match, but I'll probably shoot the G22. Despite being handicapped by .40, with the nicer trigger and comp on the G22 I was matching or beating times and splits I was able to hit with the G17.

I might eventually upgrade trigger on the 17 but want to resist urge to comp it, as that was the one thing that would occasionally dig into me and be a pain while carrying the G22.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.