Outdoors
Sponsored by

Benchmade knives factory angle.

18,494 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AggieChemist
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a good boy and got a new benchmade knife for Christmas. I read that the benchmade factory angle is 35 degrees. That seems very wide. I have usually sharpened my knives at 20-25 degrees. What does the hive mind think?

I have a ken onion edition worksharp so I can pretty well sharpen it to whatever.
AggieChemist
AG
Disregard emoji. I fat fingered it.
Juicyfan
Rule number 1!!! Damn it! The OB has rules.

OR at least which BM you got.

I sharpen my 943 with a Non-Ken Onion worksharp = 40deg. And it's been fine.
EFE
AG
Yep, it's at 35*. I don't know if it's because their blades are thicker or have more spine, but they are definitely sharpened at a wider angle. They also suggest using a flat stone if you plan to sharpen one yourself. They have a good video that "work sharp" sharpeners did with them that explains their process. Which is also the same process that the owner of Bushmonkey knives promotes. I received on of his Shawshanks for Christmas and that thing is stupid sharp and the angle looks off compared to traditional school of thought, but that thing is stupid sharp. I skinned a doe with it a few days ago and I was blown away with how well it cut.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Do you know if it is a single edge angle or an included angle? 35deg is about what I do if you take it to mean 17.5 on each side.
aad03
AG
It's obviously 35 total, but when talking about knives, you should generally reference the angle from the centerline of the blade. So 17.5 degrees.

That's a good all purpose angle.
Class of '03
CharlieBrown17
AG
I sharpen everything around 17.5 as well. Good working edge.
big ben
AG
22*
AggieChemist
AG
Juicyfan said:

Rule number 1!!! Damn it! The OB has rules.
Forgive me, OB, I have transgressed. I got the Mini-barrage assisted opener. 154CM blade steel, satin finish, no serrations, valox hanlde. Love the positive SNAP open. It is much faster/smoother opening than the assisted open CRKT that it's replacing, but it's roughly 2X the cost, so it should, I suppose. Cutting board by agrams, and included to elicit gratuitous blue stars.

After doing some more research, the 35 degrees I saw quoted was the inclusive angle. The first website I was on was suggesting it was 35 degrees edge which seemed way wide, and more axe-like than knife-like. I usually do my pocket knives at 25 degree edge angle, 50 degrees inclusive, so this is a good deal finer edge than I am accustomed to.
Juicyfan
Nice looking knife (and cutting board). My friend has one, and I want one some day, but I have a couple of others on the wish list ahead of it. Welcome to the Benchmade addiction!

My next will hopefully be the 940-2, but I've been holding out hope they will come out with a 943-2.
FIDO 96
AG
Got a Barrage from Santa about 3-4 years ago. Use it regularly and it still works and looks brand new. I'm a Benchmade Fanboy because of it.
BCO07
AG
Santa brought me the full size barrage, love it so far. Only complaint is that it won't close with one hand like my griptilian
Juicyfan
BCO07 said:

Santa brought me the full size barrage, love it so far. Only complaint is that it won't close with one hand like my griptilian

This is actually the reason I haven't gotten one yet. I actually love every thing else about it.

For me, not loosing a nife is dependent upon it going directly back into my pocket after each and every use. So being able to close a knife with one hand is so important.

Next time you see Santa, maybe ask him for a 940, 943, or 940-2. You won't be disappointed.
AggieChemist
AG
I don't have any problems closing with one hand... but I have big hands.
DatTallArchitect
AG
AggieChemist said:

I don't have any problems closing with one hand... but I have big hands.
I believe they are talking about closing it differently than you are. The Griptilian is not assisted-opening, so you can pull back on the axis lock and flip it closed. My SOG Access Card 2.0 is setup that way, and I can open it as quick (if not quicker) than any assisted-opening knife I have ever held. I definitely can close it quicker than any knife I have ever held, and do it very safely with one hand.
stdeb11
AG
I have a mini-Griptilian. I sharpened mine to 25deg. I stopped carrying it for about a year when it became dull since I had intentions of sending it back in for factory sharpening...i gave in and just sharpen it myself so I can keep carrying it
AggieChemist
AG
This thread inspired me to have a bourbon-fueled knife sharpening session last night. I changed the blade angle on all my kitchen knives to 17.5 degrees from 25 degrees. They are all hair-popping sharp. I should probably warn my wife.

I think I cut myself on my filet knife, just looking at it. It's a miracle maid, and it belonged to my grandfather.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.