Outdoors
Sponsored by

Wolf is making 9x39 ammo available in US

6,970 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggielostinETX
BenderRodriguez
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.firearmsnews.com/ammo/wolf-performance-ammunitions-new-9x39mm-wolf-cartridge/

Quote:

It's a cartridge many hardcore Combloc collectors and video game buffs have hoped for, but never actually expected to see reach US shores. Developed for Russian Spetsnaz units, the 9x39mm started life as a specialized military cartridge for use in suppressed weapons. It was designed as a replacement for the subsonic 200-grain FMJ 7.62x39mm load fielded with suppressed AKM rifles.

If I had the means, I'd be scrambling to produce a US made VSS and AS Val. Whoever does so is going to sell a lot of them.

aggielostinETX
AG
Will it double stack in an AR upper with custom mags?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Should work in 7.x62 mags and 6.5 Grendel mags is what I'm reading, and some AR uppers are in the works.

Supposed to be able to shrink down to about a 5.5" barrel and not lose much out of it.

I'll be honest, I'm skeptical of anything the Russians bill as good, including this round...but it's always neat to see new stuff coming in.

Wizard
LaRue will be making these
DatTallArchitect
AG
I thought 7.62 could only go into an AR10. Am I wrong? Can they go into an AR15?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Wizard said:

LaRue will be making these

You mean AR uppers, not VSS and AS Vals, right?

Meh.
BenderRodriguez
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

I thought 7.62 could only go into an AR10. Am I wrong? Can they go into an AR15?

7.62x39 magazines for ARs.

I used shorthand, sorry.
jabberwalkie09
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Since Bender mentioned 7.62 and 6.5 Grendel in the same sentence, I think he means 7.62x39? If so, I believe that's still the AR-15 platform. We actually had a 7.62x39 AR roll through the store a couple of months ago now.

edit: And Bender beat me to it.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Good to know! What is the 7.62x39 comparable to?
BenderRodriguez
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Good to know! What is the 7.62x39 comparable to?

It was the standard AK round from the 40s until the 70s. Ballistically the 7.62x39 is similar to the 30-30 if that helps.

I wouldn't bother building an AR in it personally, buy a commie trash can gun and learn how to shoot an AK just for the hell of it.

SWCBonfire
AG
or buy a VZ58 and shoot it out of a well-made commie gun
BenderRodriguez
AG
You'll never get me to argue about the superiority of Czech weapons, especially over Russian.

But I think everyone should own and know how to shoot an AK. It's one of the most common rifles in the world, and knowing how to use it helps you to appreciate other designs.

maverick2076
KAK Industries has barrels available in 8.5" and 10.5", and Wolf ammo is available. $13.99 for a box of 278gr subsonic rounds. I may have found my next project build.
aggielostinETX
AG
Tag
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.