Outdoors
Sponsored by

Whitewings. Nuisance?

3,259 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
Caesar4
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Outdoors folks, I'm looking for suggestions on how to dissuade whitewing doves from congregating around my house (in a subdivision). I suppose it's a 1st-world problem (or an old-man yells at birds problem), but feel that I'm inundated with these birds (noise & poop).

I'm wondering....can/should I attract birds of prey (hawks/falcons/owls) to displace the doves?

A few (2-3) years ago, I built an owl-house in hopes of moving the doves away, but so far no owls have taken residence. I have lots of oak trees in the front & back yards so that may explain why owls haven't moved in.

As soon as funds come available, I'll replace the house (built in 1994) windows. Maybe that will at least help with the early-morning noise aspect.

TIA
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Unfortunately for you, there isn't a whole lot you can do. White wings are breeding right now and are very social birds. The cooing is not going to stop for awhile.

They hang out in large groups in subdivision areas (like mine in Katy) and nest everywhere. By the way, they suck at nest building.

You can get a cat and turn it outside but I am not really a fan of the destruction they cause and it wouldn't really help anyways. The hawks will follow their prey... just sit outside and listen for the silence followed by an abrupt flapping of wings. That's when you know Mr. Hawk is swooping in.

TLDR:

Nothing you can really do. The noise isn't that bad.
sleepybeagle
AG
BCO07
AG
Start looking at buying seed now and planting in about a month. Shred in strips.... Wait you said how to get rid of dove? I have no idea
Caesar4
AG
Thanks.
Scotty Appleton
Damn it. Now I have Stevie Nicks in my head
GSlice06
AG
My wife and I left our house in SA which had doves all over the place. New house in a small town now, no trees... I miss the cooing, peaceful and helped me sleep.
PigInABlanket
AG
Birds being a nuisance and disrupting your sleep? Shoot em, and tell the Game Warden that they were disturbing you. You'll be good to go!
Burdizzo
AG
If I was allowed to use a cast net, there are some mornings here in San Antonio I could get my daily limit of mourning dove in about 10 seconds.
rather be fishing
AG
Have this same issue out our place. Several neighbors feed year round, and they love the tallow trees that make up a good 30-40% of the landscape trees in our neighborhood.

There's stray cats all over our hood and but I think they mostly get the young ones that end up on the ground.
Aggielandma12
AG
I could drop a dove with one shot when I was teen. Clean them up and wrap them in bacon.

Brush Country
I volunteer to eat every last one of them.
BrazosBull
AG
I personally enjoy the cooing . Peaceful found to me. ........
SteveBott
AG
I'm interested in solutions. Outside cat before run over worked well but he did have collateral damage to birds. He climbed up the tree they roosted in and would grab them. 25-30 feet? It was awesome

They crap on my cars every night
C4D
AG
CATS.
1 female and 1 male
AgBQ-00
AG
C4D said:

CATS.
1 female and 1 male

Then you wind up with cats...too many to count.
C4D
AG
Fixing the cats is implied. We should all have vet connections.
tamc93
AG
BCO07 said:

Start looking at buying seed now and planting in about a month. Shred in strips.... Wait you said how to get rid of dove? I have no idea
Allow me to be on your lease - guaranteed to be no doves there and not from shooting -
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I will come over dressed in camo and sit on my camo stool with my shotgun across my lap. Guaranteed you won't see a dove the whole time I am there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.