Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bore sighting new AR

2,035 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by A.G.S.
Lonestar_Ag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I just mounted my new scope, p223 w/ Nikon P series rings, on my AR. I attempted to use my in barrel bore sight tool that I have always used for my other rifles and the scope looked right over it.

So question is...
1. Will this method just not work because of the set up and the scope being too high compared to the barrel?
2. Is the scope that far off that it is looking all the way over the sight insert?
Or
3. Am I just an idiot?
bar2157
AG
For an AR, you can take the upper off, pull the bolt carrier group, and set it on sandbags or a rest and look down the bore to the target. Center the target in the bore and adjust you elevation and windage accordingly. That will get you on paper. Easy to do at 50 or even 100 yards. I've never used a boresighter because this method works well for me. It's a little more trouble than on a bolt gun, but works just the saame. Hope that helps you.
Sailor
man, i don't think i've ever boresighted any AR. Just pointed it a 100 yrd target, viewed round impact and adjusted accordingly until the rounds were on target.
87IE
AG
I use a laser boresight on my AR
A.G.S.
AG
For irons and optics I always use a 10yd zero procedure to get me as close as possible before moving out.

Here is a better explanation on the process than I could give: Jerking the Trigger
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.