Outdoors
Sponsored by

Brisket Help

2,719 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AgAE
GarryowenAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Been smoking a 10lb brisket since 5:30am. It hasn't hardly changed internal temp in over an hour (been stuck at 158 deg). Have I platued? Smoker temp around 220 consistently for the past 2hrs. Any advice?
ADW99
AG
It's called the stall. Be patient, it'll be fine. Don't pull it early.
Ag_of_08
AG
sounds like a stall.

Either leave it alone, crutch it, or finish in the oven if it HAS to be done early(I know, sacrilege! Oh well....)
GarryowenAg
AG
I was going to crutch it at 175 since I'm wanting to have it ready to eat by 7:00. The stall is definitely annoying.
plowboy1065
S
Can't plan on crutching at a certain temp. All meat is different and stalls at different temps
GarryowenAg
AG
Should I wait until it gets through the stall before crutching it, or just bite the buller and wrap it during the crutch? It's been smoking for 12hrs at this point.

Btw, I'm a novice brisket smoker.
JYDog90
AG
Yeah, if you're still at 156, I would make sure your thermometer is accurate and crutch, especially if you're wanting to eat in an hour. Yikes.
BCO07
AG
As much as it sucks, open another beer and wait it out
GarryowenAg
AG
Let's hope my thermometer is off. I'll update once I end up taking it off and cutting into it. T minus 30min till I take it off
Roger That
AG
You really don't need an accurate thermometer... when it's done the probe should slide in with no effort and the meat should jiggle like a bowl of jello.
GarryowenAg
AG
Quick update: ended up pulling it at 195 (crutches at 160). Turned out good, but a little firmer than would've liked for a brisket. Everyone was still happy. Thanks everyone for the advice! Next time I'll put it on at 4am instead of 5:30am (if I can manage to wake up earlier).
AgAE
AG
For a more tender brisket, next time either:
leave it on the smoker until the internal temp hits 203, pull it and let rest for 30 minutes covered in foil, not wrapped, before slicing, or

pull it at 185-190, wrap tightly in foil, wrap in towel and put it in a cooler for a 2-3 hours.

Both ways work for me for an awesome brisket. A lot times people get in a hurry trying to meet a specific eating time and either crank up the temp or pull it off early. No brisket is the same and there is no precise time for cooking one. It will take as long it takes. You can't rush it. I would rather put on to early than to late.

And buy prime briskets, not choice. I usually get mine at Costco.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.