Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dewclaw removal: pro or con?

4,827 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PANHANDLE10
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just had a litter of labs and have mixed emotions regarding the matter.
civilized05
AG
Opinions will probably vary, but having one dog with and one dog without, I'll probably have our next pup's dewclaws removed. I honestly don't think they serve any real purpose other than to get really sharp and snag your skin, clothes or whatever else they rub up against.

Now if dogs could learn to open beer bottles with their dewclaws, that may be something.
Muzzleblast
I don't take off what God put on.

Unless there's a medical reason to do it, I'd pass.
Dr Pete
The only yes would be if the dogs are going to wear boots in whatever their future service may be. No need otherwise
cuz-i-can
AG
Muzzleblast said:

<insert circumcision joke here>
2ndChanceAg96
AG
Being around dogs all my life I would say have them removed if you have the opportunity. There really is no purpose and they can get torn or ripped off. With that said my current pup has hers but only b/c the breeder didn't have them removed. In almost 5 years I have had no problems.
The Wonderer
AG
So long as the nails are taken care of, you don't need to unless future service necessitates it. I've seen some that have not been clipped regularly and grown into themselves because they don't get ground down when they walk.
OnlyForNow
AG
If the dog is a house dog not running through briars, vines, fences etc then it's a matter of personal preference.

All the hunting dogs we've ever had have always had them removed by a vet; it's much better than it being ripped off fully or partially due to briars or something while hunting. - This includes all the lab puppies we've sold, always had their dewclaws removed at 1-3 days old.
highvelocity
AG
RULE 1 ON PUPPIES!!!
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
Sean98
AG
OFF WITH THEIR DEW CLAWS!
aggie4christ22
I don't think it's needed either way, but they sure are easier and cheaper to get off when they're 3-5 days old than when they're older.
oneeyedag
Our newest Sheltie did not have hers removed. Took her to an inside lure course, and her rear dew claws keep snagging on the turf at each turn or quick change of direction.

Cut them off, serve n ok purpose; especially the rear dewclaws.
1990AG
AG
Quote:

All the hunting dogs we've ever had have always had them removed by a vet; it's much better than it being ripped off fully or partially due to briars or something while hunting. - This includes all the lab puppies we've sold, always had their dewclaws removed at 1-3 days old.

This....

They provide no benefit to the dog. The first time you have a dog rip one of them off in the field will be the last time you question having them removed.
AZAG08
AG
After enough snags and rips we had them removed from our dog
BoerneGator
AG
Sean98 said:

OFF WITH THEIR DEW CLAWS!

I took em off myself yesterday!
It's really easy to do at one day old, and they hardly notice.
Will post pics asap.
Sean98
AG
For one of our senior members, Mr BoerneGator...

OnlyForNow
AG
Did it yourself? Savage dude.
BoerneGator
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Did it yourself? Savage dude.
Saw a woman do it on U-tube utilizing just her finger nails, but I opted for some nail clippers. Easy-Peasy.
OnlyForNow
AG
Were they free floating without bone connection? And I'll just assume you were using some sort of sterlization technique.
BoerneGator
AG
OnlyForNow said:

Were they free floating without bone connection? And I'll just assume you were using some sort of sterlization technique.
Yes, exactly! And but of course. Precious cargo, ya know? The rib was my "attending nurse".
OnlyForNow
AG
Braver than me and I worked for a vet for 6 years.
BoerneGator
AG
It was little different that clipping a hang nail. Very little blood, staunched by a little pressure with alcohol pads, followed by some iodine. No complaints. (By the time I got to the tenth (20th) one, it was routine!)
OnlyForNow
AG
As long as you got the whole piece of bone in the toe it's all good. I've seen as I'm sure the vets here have also, some botched ones done at home.
BoerneGator
AG
With 20 chances, I may well have "botched" one or more, but I sorta doubt it. One thing's fer sure; I got what I paid for!
OnlyForNow
AG
As will the people who buy your dogs if you're selling em.
HumbleAg04
AG
Muzzleblast said:

Thank goodness you weren't born with a tail.
kw1960
1990AG said:

Quote:

This....

They provide no benefit to the dog. The first time you have a dog rip one of them off in the field will be the last time you question having them removed.
Yes to this, had a chocolate that ripped his several times and he went through MUCH more pain than having them removed right after birth.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

They provide no benefit to the dog.
This is not true in every case. I have read that dogs up north utilize them to crawl out of icy water. It gives them just enough purchase on the ice surface to pull themselves out. So, they can actually be life savers in particular circumstances.
WC87
AG
good looking pups, what is the plan for them?
BoerneGator
AG
Turn em into great companions/hunting dogs, Pete! want to help?
Muzzleblast

Mom said I was....
Sean98
AG
BoerneGator said:

Turn em into great companions/ hunting dogs, Pete! want to help?

I thought they were labs?
BoerneGator
AG
Sean98 said:

BoerneGator said:

Turn em into great companions/ hunting dogs, Pete! want to help?

I thought they were labs?
The dam is the most aggressive hunter I've ever had. She is constantly hunting around my property for anything that moves. You'd be impressed! There's not a skunk or any four legged creature that enters my property without dealing with her. Just sayin...
PANHANDLE10
OP, you have to gauge the interest in your puppies. If you have buyers, then don't mess with it. The costs can really add up. Especially if you're a first time breeder.

If you don't have buyers, well it depends on your price point. For labs, above 700 or so (ballpark), you will find buyers who expected expect dew claws removed. Under that, you will likely find people who don't give a damn.

I have hunted dogs with and without dewclaws. It has only bit me in the ass one time. Honestly, it's so far down the list of things to think about. I never even think about it.

Edit: just read that you took them off already. At no cost. Probably the way to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.