Outdoors
Sponsored by

Long Draw Bows

1,343 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Chickenhawk
theonefromnolancounty12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm looking for some first-hand advice and recommendations on bows with draw lengths on the plus side of 30. I'm shooting 29.5" right now and looking to get into something a little longer. Anything to stay away from? Anything specific to look for? Just exactly how limited are my options? TIA.
HUEY04
AG
Pretty much all bows are available to 30"-31" draw. Not very many people actually need to be at 30" or more but plenty think they do and waste a lot of time fighting inconsistency. I shoot 30 3/8" draw but I'm over 6'4" tall with a 78" wingspan.
agingcowboy
AG
I hunt with a Bowtech Insanity CPXL. Draw length up to 32". You can get 80 lb limbs too
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
theonefromnolancounty12
AG
Since you brought it up, are the 80 lbs limbs worth it? Do you gain much KE?
agingcowboy
AG
I wounded an elk I didn't recover a few years back which is why I went with 80 pounds. I thought more pounds, more speed, better penetration, etc. Most modern bows are plenty fast with 70 lbs limbs. 80 is probably excessive. My target bow is set at 62 pounds which is comfortable enough to shoot all day. That being said if I buy a new hunting rig I'll still get 80 pounds
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agingcowboy
AG
With regards to KE...remember the velocity is squared. So yes, faster arrow means more KE. So one might think go with a lighter arrow and go as fast as you can. The debateable question is whether this leads to more penetration. There's a sweet spot between arrow weight and speed. That being said, my 80 lb bow will put a deep six arrow all the way through a block target and send it skipping into the dirt behind it.
bushman
AG
You don't have a long draw at all. Plenty of bows out there up to 31-32" I bought a Mathews MR8 Monster a few years ago, in a 33" DL, it's the tits! With an overdraw and carbon arrows, she screams, and will damn near knock a deer off its feet when it hits home.
Chickenhawk
I would just like to say that I cannot bring anything to this discussion, since I have T Rex arms and only draw 26. But hey, I'm here.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.