Outdoors
Sponsored by

6 month hog lease in exchange for some work

5,781 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AggieMarkSA
pnsagdad
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just floating this idea around.

Have 200 acres of property in Crockett, tx with plenty of pigs and I'm wanting to see if maybe someone would be willing to make a deal with me for some free hunting.

I need the following projects done. (Due to work travel and general life I have very little time to get up there to do it myself)

Yard leveled: our yard has been riddled with pig ruts to the point where I can't mow. I need it level so that I can either sod or seed with grass again (about 1 acre of damage)

About 75 yards of fence cleared

Patch of bamboo removed
A few piled of wood removed
Spraying of some herbicide

The level would take the most work and would need some heavy equipment

In exchange I would grant hog hunting access (have feeders and blinds already set up just add corn) starting in February through the end of August.

Pm me if interested.
CrottyKid
AG
Seems like you are offering work in exchange for more work.
pnsagdad
Like I said, just an idea.

Would be willing to talk dove hunting and some deer hunting if I could get someone that's not being a self righteous *****
BCO07
AG
Sounds like something that I would jump at if I still lived over there
AggieGunslinger
AG
I don't think your idea is a bad one I just think you might be marketing to the wrong crowd. Almost everyone on this board has full time jobs just like you. Most of that work sounds perfect for a few high school age kids who are.looking for a new place to hunt.
agfan2013
AG
Disagree, I've seen plenty of current students start threads on the OB over the years looking for someone to let them hunt (we just had one that blew up this year about "free" hog hunting services). This would be a great opportunity for them to do some work, and get to hunt in return instead of always just looking for a free handout.

Only thing I see being a problem is needing heavy equipment for the leveling, probably not a lot of people that have something for that just sitting around, unless I misunderstood the OP and he has it already.
pnsagdad
I don't unfortunately. I'm sure if someone had a disk and then drug a tractor tire over it, that would get the job done
SanAntoneAg
AG
Me and the Front Porch Boys can do it next time we're up that way for the International Bluegrass Competition.
highvelocity
AG
Pm sent
FtBendTxAg
AG
Being completely honest here, but the yard leveling seems like an irrational request for some hog hunting. Especially if heavy machinery is needed. That doesn't seem even at all, crappy pun not intended.

But everything else is completely rational and a good idea.
OldCamp
It's funny how often you hear about there not being affordable hunting opportunities in the state and here this guy is offering free hunting and most of the comments are negative.
OP...you would be better off setting a price to hunt and use income from that to hire help
techno-ag
AG
PineTreeAg said:

It's funny how often you hear about there not being affordable hunting opportunities in the state and here this guy is offering free hunting and most of the comments are negative.
OP...you would be better off setting a price to hunt and use income from that to hire help
Yeah it's like the guy who put stuff on the curb with a sign saying "Free" and it just sat there. He replaced the sign with one saying "$100" and it was gone the next morning. Same principle.
Unemployed
AG
PineTreeAg said:

It's not really free, is it? Just because no money will be involved doesn't mean it's free.
FtBendTxAg
AG
PineTreeAg said:

Oh yeah heavy machinery is free
sjislepilot
AG
Seems like an excellent opportunity for someone who is machine rich and money poor. I don't see what the problem is. Seems as though OP doesn't exactly care how it gets done just that it gets done. Resourcefulness is key for those out looking for these types of spaces.

Carry on OP
FCBlitz
Hey OP.

My son is a sophomore at UTD and would be willing to do work with a friend or two if you let them hunt pigs. It would be a good group of college kids who can really crank work out.

Let me know if that sounds agreeable to you.
UnderoosAg
AG
sjislepilot said:

Seems like an excellent opportunity for someone who is machine rich and money poor. I don't see what the problem is. Seems as though OP doesn't exactly care how it gets done just that it gets done. Resourcefulness is key for those out looking for these types of spaces.

Somewhere about 10 or 11 I wanted a new 10-speed bike. Aunt and Uncle made me a deal. I'd get my uncle's twice ridden like new sitting in the garage bike in exchange for clearing all the weeds and crap from their BAAAAAHHHHHHHHH...SOWHENYAHHHHHHHHHHHH...MAMABEATSEBABAHHHHHHHHHH circle of life ass builder-never-sodded backyard. Didn't have fancy equipment other than a shovel, two hands, a hatchet, and ultimately a flashlight. But I wanted a bike. And I rode that thing until a Burger Boy bike delivery dude went Kamikaze into my front wheel one night in front of the Academic Building my fish year. Last time I ever went over a handlebar. But I digress.

30 years later I had a crazy work travel schedule, and my own BAAHHHHHHHH.. yard. I also had a Traxxas Tmaxx with a gummed up transmission and sticky piston, with a bunch of support gear, taking up space in my garage. My buddy's kid was wanting one, and had a shovel.

Somewhere there's a college kid who used his semi-retired uncle's equipment to clean up his neighbor's place to earn money for a new AR. And now he wants to hunt hogs.
powerbelly
AG
PineTreeAg said:

Work requiring the use of your own heavy machinery is the opposite of free
skelso
AG
I have made similar deals to get access to property I couldn't otherwise lease. Unfortunately the opportunities are harder and harder to get due to landowners being taken advantage of. So he hats off to the OP for offering this. If it was closer to CS, I would have the deal closed for you.

One word of caution for the OP, if you find someone to make the deal with you, make them provide their own liability insurance and name you as additional insured.

Hope you find someone thats the right fit. I get at least a couple of emails, Facebook posts, or calls a week from people wanting to hunt for free. Usually they have the same claim "pigs do a lot of damage, you should let me come kill them for free. I would actually be doing you a favor"... As soon as I tell them I don't give away free hunt's but would consider bartering for work, they never contact me again...
OldCamp
Quote:

OP didn't say heavy machinery. He said heavy equipment. He Later clarified to say all it would take would be a disc and drag. Sounds like this work might be handled by a four wheeler, UTV, or small tractor which are fairly common if you have any outdoors or rural friends or family that would lend their stuff for a day. My use of the word "free" was inappropriate but the point still stands....there are hunting opportunities in this state for those that can put excuses and laziness aside and be resourceful and thrifty.
techno-ag
AG
PineTreeAg said:

Quote:

OP didn't say heavy machinery. He said heavy equipment. He Later clarified to say all it would take would be a disc and drag. Sounds like this work might be handled by a four wheeler, UTV, or small tractor which are fairly common if you have any outdoors or rural friends or family that would lend their stuff for a day. My use of the word "free" was inappropriate but the point still stands....there are hunting opportunities in this state for those that can put excuses and laziness aside and be resourceful and thrifty.
I had the same thought. Some people are thinking Caterpillar when he really meant Kubota.
raidernarizona
This sh*t is getting old! Happens in too many threads these days, where someone who has nothing useful to add just chimes in because they want to stir the pot!

If you're not interested in the deal, just hit back and move on. Btw, I'm not talking about the helpful suggestions. I'm looking at you CrotchetyKid...
OldCamp
Quote:

Me and the Front Porch Boys can do it next time we're up that way for the International Bluegrass Competition.

Missed this earlier. Love that song and think of it every time I hear about Crocket TX!
Watchful Ag
AG
raidernarizona said:

This sh*t is getting old! Happens in too many threads these days, where someone who has nothing useful to add just chimes in because they want to stir the pot!

If you're not interested in the deal, just hit back and move on. Btw, I'm not talking about the helpful suggestions. I'm looking at you CrotchetyKid...
BlockerBLDG
AG
pnsagdad said:

Have 200 acres of property in Crockett, tx with plenty of pigs and I'm wanting to see if maybe someone would be willing to make a deal with me for some free hunting.

I need the following projects done. (Due to work travel and general life I have very little time to get up there to do it myself)

Yard leveled: our yard has been riddled with pig ruts to the point where I can't mow. I need it level so that I can either sod or seed with grass again (about 1 acre of damage)

Patch of bamboo removed

In exchange I would grant hog hunting access (have feeders and blinds already set up just add corn) starting in February through the end of August.

Pm me if interested.

I would not know how to level land and not sure you would want someone watching a YouTube video and renting equipment and figuring it out.

I could do the other manual labor plus build you a deer stand. I build tables, barn doors, shutters and other things and I could build you a deer/hog stand that would be elevated about 3 feet off the ground, 4' wide by 8' long and 7' high with a slightly slanted roof. Openings on 3 sides to shoot. With 8' long, you could easily fit 3 people in it. Doors and openings would be fitted with padding to keep bugs and critters out. Also would paint to your liking.

Would love to do that in exchange of me and my son hunting for some hogs and deer.

Let me know if you would be interested!
Bill Bigfoot
AG
Wish I was closer to Crockett, sounds like a fair deal to me.
DuckDown2013
AG
No such thing as a free lunch, right?

Op- I think you're offering a fair deal here, but may have to add a little cash for the yard leveling since it would involve moving the heavy equipment to and from the location!

Hope you find somebody because although we don't hve hogs where I'm at in Virginia, hauling the old cat 955 down there wouldn't be very cost effective.
Lungblood

Quote:

I could do the other manual labor plus build you a deer stand. I build tables, barn doors, shutters and other things and I could build you a deer/hog stand that would be elevated about 3 feet off the ground, 4' wide by 8' long and 7' high with a slightly slanted roof. Openings on 3 sides to shoot. With 8' long, you could easily fit 3 people in it. Doors and openings would be fitted with padding to keep bugs and critters out. Also would paint to your liking.

Would love to do that in exchange of me and my son hunting for some hogs and deer.

Hot damn... we got a man who knows how to negotiate.

Live and die by shades of gray!
FCBlitz
Lungblood said:

Quote:

Hot damn... we got a man who knows how to negotiate.

Live and die by shades of gray!

How can I get in touch with you?
BlockerBLDG
AG
pblocker at icloud dot com
AggieMarkSA
blockhead said:

pnsagdad said:

Patch of bamboo removed

Pm me if interested.

I would not know how to level land and not sure you would want someone watching a YouTube video and renting equipment and figuring it out.

Interested in a trade for hogs south of San Antonio?
highvelocity
AG
AggieMarkSA said:

blockhead said:

pnsagdad said:

Patch of bamboo removed

Pm me if interested.

i would be...
BlockerBLDG
AG
AggieMarkSA said:

blockhead said:

pnsagdad said:

Patch of bamboo removed

Pm me if interested.

I am in Fort Worth and so getting all the supplies down that far and building would probably be a couple of day project and not sure if I have that margin.
AggieMarkSA
Email me,
My user name at the gmail
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.