Outdoors
Sponsored by

Early season ticks and deer cleaning

1,482 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So, I'm about to get down and dirty on the doe I nailed this morning. But what does everyone do about early season deer and the loads of ticks they carry?

Until the first freeze our deer are always covered. What do you guys do when cleaning to avoid getting them on you and the myriad of diseases they carry?
FSGuide
I killed my first deer 36 years ago and have gutted & skinned countless deer, hogs and exotics since then. I've honestly never worried about the ticks I see on the animals.
HTownAg98
Roll up your sleeves, wear gloves, and work fast. Check yourself thoroughly when you are done.
histag10
AG
And wash your clothes on a hot cycle. It will ensure anyou clinging to your clothes die.

If you are still wortied, there are net suits you can buy that will prevent them from getting on you. Have never used one while cleaning, but we use them when turkey hunting by the river
Lungblood

Reminds me of my last trip to Lubbock.
Chickenhawk
Lungblood said:

Bitter Old Man
AG
Lungblood said:

Furlock Bones
AG
FSGuide said:

I killed my first deer 36 years ago and have gutted & skinned countless deer, hogs and exotics since then. I've honestly never worried about the ticks I see on the animals.

I've been hunting for over 20 years. But it's only been the last couple that I have cared. I guess the Internet has shown me how easy it is to pick up some nasty bugs.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sheepkeds, not ticks
FBG_Ag78
AG
Never have been bitten by one but they are creepy.

http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/deer-keds
OnlyForNow
AG
Never heard of them biting humans before, but i guess it's possible.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.