Outdoors
Sponsored by

Which to purchase? Ar15 or handgun

6,252 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 26.2
aggie4231
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally in a position to make such a purchase. Which would you chose?

I have a Keltec Sub 2k that uses Glock mags. It was more of an impulse by about 4 years ago.

I'd like to step up to something that is a sign of a true man/Texan. I will be planning on getting my LTC down the road. I'm not really a hunter (grew up fishing) and I'm not sure if I will.

I think I'm leaning towards the AR due to the upcoming potential political fight over 2nd Amendment. As far as choices, what would be your pick between the commonly available at Academy. I know I should go with EyeGuy, but I'll be heading back to the oilfield this week and won't be able to make it to Houston.

As far as handgun, I'm leaning to Glock G19. It's mag compatible with the Keltec. It's reliable

Thanks
Chickenhawk
AR.
ZooGuy
AG
AR. Once you get one, .....
MisterShipWreck
Well, it depends. Are you going to carry it? will it be a home defense handgun? Just a range toy?

I bought handguns for years before I bought my first rifle. but with the upcoming political climate, I would consider the AR first. especially if you plan to eventually get both anyway.
cuz-i-can
AG
get the G19. Sounds like it would be more versatile for your application and fit with your upcoming LTC.
aTm2004
AG
AR. Call EyeGuy or go with a LaRue.
TexasAggies06
AG
One of each
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'd buy the Glock if you're planning to get your LTC
BenderRodriguez
AG
Frankly, you can afford both before the election for ~$1000. Afterwards, who knows.

But if you absolutely have to limit yourself to one...handgun, get your LTC, and carry.

I love my ARs and other rifles, but my handguns actually get carried every day. Rifles would only get used if someone was stupid enough to break into my house,

Gun you can actually carry/use every day>rifle that stays at home.

But really, get both.

BreNayPop
AG
Glock and stripped lower
dodger02
AG
BreNayPop said:

Glock and stripped lower

This is the correct answer.
ConstructionAg01
AG
x2
aggie4231
AG
BreNayPop said:

Glock and stripped lower

Step 1 done.

Now to take care of ar/stripped lower
Central Committee
AG
Buy two stripped lowers if you can. You can always build out later. Lowers will be worth their weight in gold if Hilary is ordained.
AlaskanAg99
AG
AR with a hip holster.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Go back to $599 tomorrow, but I have the grab bags on sale for $525 right now. Just saying...
aggie4231
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Go back to $599 tomorrow, but I have the grab bags on sale for $525 right now. Just saying...

Do I have to take delivery (in person or shipped to an FFL) immediately, for example this week?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
From what I can tell, and I haven't been in shop yet since the honeymoon, I think we have them available. I can either ship to an FFL or hold on to it for a bit, either way. Your call. Or we can hold on to it for a bit and then ship. Whatever makes it easiest on you!
Terk
AG
BOTH
Bighamp03
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

From what I can tell, and I haven't been in shop yet since the honeymoon, I think we have them available. I can either ship to an FFL or hold on to it for a bit, either way. Your call. Or we can hold on to it for a bit and then ship. Whatever makes it easiest on you!

I went on Friday to pick up my lowers and they were there.

Then immediately lost the lowers in an unfortunate boating accident.
El Chupacabra
Figure out a way to afford both. Once Hillary is president, you'll be paying double for the same items.
BQ_90
AG
Do you have a place to shoot your AR. Honestly I bought one and shoot it rarely because I don't really have a good place to shoot. I live in BCS and going to Champions to,shoot is so much easier
BCO07
AG
Duncan Idaho
TheEyeGuy said:

What is going back to $599? And is that back up to $599 or back down to $599?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Back up to $599... I still haven't officially gotten back in store so you can consider it still active until about noon on Tues.

http://texianfirearms.com/catalog_detail.php?product_id=347218
Duncan Idaho
thanks. Next time I get to houston.
dubi
AG
BQ_90 said:

Do you have a place to shoot your AR. Honestly I bought one and shoot it rarely because I don't really have a good place to shoot. I live in BCS and going to Champions to,shoot is so much easier

You have more options!

Markmans Academy Range you can shoot both your pistol and rifle outdoors. Champion's range it too noisy and too loud.

Plus there are many different competitive matches you can shoot each month for not much more than a trip to Champion's range.
Ol Whats his Face
AG
Is that a complete rifle?
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Yep
kdm_01
AG
I pulled the trigger on your $525 deal on Thursday - now I get to wait to actually pull a real trigger!
Aggiehunter34
S
Bighamp03 said:

TheEyeGuy said:

I went on Friday to pick up my lowers and they were there.

Then immediately lost the lowers in an unfortunate boating accident.
aggie4231
AG
So far liking the Glock.

Just need to work on getting better shooting it (1st true gun purchase and haven't shot anything in nearly 10 years). Most of my shots are just low and to the left or just left (in the 7-9 o'clock areas). The first day, my nerves were in full effect (100 Rds). 2nd day was better (200 Rds). Will be putting some time in at the range this week while I'm off.

What ammo do y'all shoot? I went through 2 box's of freedom, federal, and wwb. All 115 grain.
bam02
AG
WWB is what I like for cheap range ammo.
aggie4231
AG
Alright, need the OB's help. Still reading through Benders' AR thread.

Purchased a complete PSA lower at the SA gun show. Yes, I could've just purchased a stripped lower and done a complete build, or gone to Academy and bought a complete AR, but I at least can have some control on what I want (cause I'm unsure right now). Mainly bought in advance of the election.

Ok for the help.

Suggestions on uppers, barrels, handguard, etc. I'm not big on having a bunch of stuff hanging off the front.
I'd like to stick to
5.56/.223.
Standard length barrel, nothing to expensive.
Not sure on gas tube length.
I have magpul sights from another project.
FrontPorchAg
Buy both on Monday. It will be harder to buy anything in the spring.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.