Outdoors
Sponsored by

Clay shooting beginner

4,160 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Hoss
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I went trap shooting yesterday for the first time and loved it. I want to keep trying out more styles and sporting clays as well. But I don't own my own shotgun.

If I wanted to find a decent gun on a bit of a budget what would you recommend? I like the semi auto and the over/under barrel that I used yesterday, but I'm not sure.

What should I expect to pay for that? Is it ok to go used?
AnScAggie
AG
Get ready for a ton of recommendations that will always be higher than what you want to pay. I'm not an expert by any means, but here's the biggest difference to me an automatic makes it more comfortable to shoot the normal 100 clay courses because of the reduced recoil. With that said I typically shoot an O/U because it makes retrieving the shells so much easier. Somewhere between $1000-$2000 you should be able to get a very good gun that will last a lifetime and be something that you will be happy to pass on to the kiddos.
Sean98
AG
It is absolutely OK to go used. An O/U or semi will do you just fine. Look for a gas operated semi given the lighter loads you're likely to be shooting.

No reason you can't find a serviceable gun in the $500-600 range. Then you can get nicer and nicer if you want. You can easily spend a couple grand. But a used Remington 1100 will do you just fine on a clays course.
Hoss
AG
If you're on a budget, just get a Remington 870. Make sure it's something you want to keep doing before you spend big bucks on a gun. You can get a decent and reliable gun for under $500 pretty easy.

I don't remember the brand, but a buddy of mine has a couple of relatively inexpensive OU's be bought at Academy that look good and work just fine. They're not super high quality, but for the price they seemed pretty good to me.
The Milkman
AG
The Remington 1100 12 gauge is what I was using yesterday and liked the most. But I figured it was like golf in that I didn't want to invest too heavily until I was sure I really liked it.
Sean98
AG
quote:
If you're on a budget, just get a Remington 870.

NOOOOOO!

You do NOT want a pump for sporting clays or skeet.
AnScAggie
AG
quote:
quote:

NOOOOOO!

Listen to Sean98. Shooting clays with a pump is a less than an enjoyable experience. An 1100 on the other hand is perfect.
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

NOOOOOO!

I shoot them with an 870- same as i shoot birds with an 870. Is it easier with a semi? Prolly so, but whats the fun in that?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Shot sporting clays for the first time a couple weeks ago and I know there were plenty of Yildiz O/U on the course.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

NOOOOOO!

I shoot them with an 870- same as i shoot birds with an 870. Is it easier with a semi? Prolly so, but whats the fun in that?
If getting competitive is even an inkling of an idea, steer clear of an 870 or any pump. Too much of a disadvantage.
The Milkman
AG
quote:
Shot sporting clays for the first time a couple weeks ago and I know there were plenty of Yildiz O/U on the course.

The Yildiz is one specifically I had in mind as a possibility
hunterntexas
AG
I use my Remington 1187.
The 1100 is a good choice if you want to go semi-auto.
If I were picking one just for sporting clays, I would get an O/U.
dr_boogs
AG
OP - where do you live?
I'm in BCS and would be happy to meet for a round of clays and let you shoot a few of my guns.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

NOOOOOO!

If getting competitive is even an inkling of an idea, steer clear of an 870 or any pump. Too much of a disadvantage.

Pump shotguns are also annoying AF to the people around you at a gun range

Weatherby SA-08 and the Franchi Affinity are two nice budget friendly semi autos. Used Remington 1100 would be a great choice as well
saltydog13
AG
Franchi Affinity.
The Milkman
AG
Thank you for the offer Dr Boogs... I'm in Houston and would love to meet up sometime

Thanks for all the help everyone!
OnlyForNow
AG
Annoying to people around you? How so?

Partner, if you want an entry level O/U look at Academy's Yildiz line, in 12 or 20.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Just a little more than the Yildiz, the CZ O/Us are pretty nice as well. A few in the $600-900 range are pretty slick.
agfan2013
AG
A thread asking for clay shooting recommendations and we haven't had the guy with the cliche story about his buddy who outshoots $10K O/Us with his mossberg yet?? For shame OB, you're slacking....

So to actually help instead of just a smart ass response, I'd say the Remington 1100 or 1187 if that's the main semi they sell these days. Affordable and reliable without breaking the bank.
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

NOOOOOO!

Pump shotguns are also annoying AF to the people around you at a gun range

Weatherby SA-08 and the Franchi Affinity are two nice budget friendly semi autos. Used Remington 1100 would be a great choice as well
definitely would like to know how having a pump shotgun at a skeet range is annoying AF. is that because of the noise it makes before I shoot a 2nd shell? or because it makes you look like you go to a gun range that allows the poors inside who use pump shotguns?
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

NOOOOOO!

if you are going to shoot competitively, you definitely want a semi. I was under the impression that this guy was a beginner and for someone that just wants to get out and have fun, the low cost of a pump shotgun might be a good entry point.
Sean98
AG
I can't say I find them annoying, but I will say on the rare occasion I see them there are a lot of failure to ejects because people try to cycle too fast, and a lot that don't get a second shot off. Many of those people them want you to throw their second bird again. That is annoying to me. Sorry, you don't get a second chance.

...but i mostly see that in fundraiser shoots and there are a LOT of unsafe/annoying things common in fundraiser shoots.
230Ag
AG
interesting. as far as I am concerned, you get 1 chance - you miss it, you missed it.
Sean98
AG
Agreed. But like I said, it's usually fundraisers. So it's the same guy that take a dozen mulligans during the course of a fundraising golf tourney. So people usually let him because he's not winning anyway and he's supporting a good cause. Ptetty soon you've got a LOOOONG ass round of clays.
SWAG_05
This might be a little long, but I do shoot quite a bit. Probably more in year than most in their lifetime. You are just getting started congrats, it's a lot of fun. First off, keep going to ranges and shoot with other folks. Most are friendly and love to let others try out their guns,the more you can shoot other people's guns, the better. This can help you see the differences. This is not always an option, I understand.

As far as purchasing, for a semi I would go with Remington 1100 or beretta a400. Both are great. A400 will run you mid 1000 to almost 2000. Remington's can be had for about 1000 give or take a 100. I own five of them. The only reason I went 1100 was they don't make an a400 in 410. I shoot competitions with all the gauges.

For an over under you really need to save. Expect to pay 2000 minimum for a quality over under. Browning and beretta are good choices. I don't have experience with CZ so I can't comment on it. As far as yildiz, either save your money for a nicer shotgun or buy semi. Yildiz is not horrible for field gun, but shooting clays it's horrible. They kick way too much.

This sport can be extremely expensive or cheap depends on you. I used 1100's for quite a while, while I saved to buy my competition gun. I used to shoot a browning over under and it was great, probably all you ever need, but for me I wanted something more. So I bought the 1100's while I saved for a Zoli. You can get an 1100 competition model for about 1050 if you look real hard. 1100 are easy to maintain and can be repaired easily. Semis do have to be cleaned often since they are gas operated, but you should clean your guns often anyway.

Used guns; as some one said above don't be afraid of them. Just try to buy one you can look at,and inspect before hand. Gun ranges usually have personal flyers for people looking to buy/sell. This is a good way to get into a nice over under. If taken care of the guns will out last you, and the parts that do fail are easily replaced by gunsmiths: firing pins,trigger springs etc. if you look at Brownings stay way from the cynergy. Great feeling gun, but most gunsmiths can't work on them you have to send it to browning to fix anything. Ask me how I know, twice during major comps. The citoris on the other hand can be worked on easily as well as the beretta silver pigeons and 692, 682, a400, 391 etc.

Once again welcome to the sport! Go out and keep shooting and take your time. You will end up buying multiple guns if you really get the bug. And don't be afraid to ask people at the ranges questions. Most are super friendly and want others to have a good time.
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
definitely would like to know how having a pump shotgun at a skeet range is annoying AF. is that because of the noise it makes before I shoot a 2nd shell?

Don't forget I have to listen to you rack the slide when you load it too.
230Ag
AG
quote:
quote:
definitely would like to know how having a pump shotgun at a skeet range is annoying AF. is that because of the noise it makes before I shoot a 2nd shell?

Don't forget I have to listen to you rack the slide when you load it too.
I wouldn't worry about that. the noise your semi makes after you drop the 1st shell in there is equally as loud as my pump racking.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I certainly agree witih borrowing other peoples guns at the range.

Ssave this however until you're a decent enough shot to really have a feel for the gun. If you miss, you want to be able to know "why" you missed. I'm not saying this to belittle you as a novice shooter. A couple weeks ago I got added to a friends sporting clays team for a fundraiser shoot. I told them, I'm a bad shot. We won't win. No problem they said. Turns out, one of them has a skeet range on his ranch, and when it cools off we're probably going to work on getting the trap houses back in service. But I digress...

After about 4-6 rounds of skeet in three outings my shoulder hurt. More importantly I was getting a feel for my shotgun, and could start to tell even as I pulled the trigger if I was going to hit the clay or not. More importantly, I could start to tell the difference between the three guns I own.

When you feel like you can tell the difference in guns on the range, and when those guns are in motion is when you want to try a series of shots with someones gun. Feel the balance of the gun. Feel the swing of the gun. Does it follow through nicely? Does it stop smoothly? Can you change directions with it quickly? (This is especially important for sporting clays where they're potentially flying in radically different trajectories.) How does the gun ballance? Balance of the weapon and the total weight you'll be holding all afternoon are probably the most important thing.

The semi-autos are nice, but like pumps, can be jam prone toward the end of a 100 bird round. Especially true if you didn't clean it immedidately before, or got in some warmup clays. The O/U or side by sides just aren't as jam prone since the trigger/firing pin are your only moving parts and have limited access to the gasses.

Everyone I saw at that sporting clays tournament was shooting 12. I don't think I saw a single 20. Dove, skeet, etc. I think people opt towards the smaller guages. The distances are more predictable and likely shorter. If you can hit it with a 12, you should be able to hit it with something smaller and easier on your shoulder.

Just some tips from someone whose only slightly ahead of you experience wise. This is what I learned watching others, and listening closely to what my teammate/friend had to say. Since his parents used to shoot competetively, and trained 100-200 shots per day each, I figure he knew what he was saying. More than me at least!
AggieGunslinger
AG
Throwing a second paor due to shooter malfunction is against the rules too. Lost bird.
AggieGunslinger
AG
IF you don't own another shotgun and want to get started shooting, be it clays or live birds, a good gas operated semi auto is the best money spent. Find what fits you and get that one. Don't be afraid of used and budget is up to you, if you are patient $500 will put a good used SA in your hands, if not $1000 will get you a new SA that will last a kifetime of hunting.

Also, first gun should be a 12ga.
Talon2DSO
AG
Go to Academy and get a Ydliz over under. Nice beginner gun and the price won't bankrupt you.
Prince_Ahmed
quote:
For an over under you really need to save. Expect to pay 2000 minimum for a quality over under. Browning and beretta are good choices. I don't have experience with CZ so I can't comment on it. As far as yildiz, either save your money for a nicer shotgun or buy semi. Yildiz is not horrible for field gun, but shooting clays it's horrible. They kick way too much.
So how is a Browning or Beretta O/U going to kick less than a Yildez? What in the Browning is absorbing recoil that the Yildiz isn't?

Sounds like the Yildiz you shot didn't fit, or maybe your Browning has a recoil system (which could be fitted to a Yildiz...)
FIDO*98*
AG
quote:
quote]So how is a Browning or Beretta O/U going to kick less than a Yildez? What in the Browning is absorbing recoil that the Yildiz isn't

Weight. It's nothing more than simple physics. My Citori 725 weighs 7.5lbs while the Yildiz weighs 6.2lbs and that translates into a huge difference in felt recoil.
SWAG_05
Generally yildiz are lighter then the Brownings and berettas, unless you get a feather lite version of the Brownings. Plus there are other difference, back boring, quality of wood (density/material), alignment of barrels, height of action etc that contribute or help reduce felt recoil.

Gun fit is very important, good point. Hold a yildiz, open it, close it, pull the triggers. Then hold some of the other brands. It's obviously my opinion, but one is better served saving and buying a higher quality gun than a yildiz if they are going to do a lot of shooting. Starting with a gun that kicks too much can cause a shooter to develop a flinch which can be very detrimental.

Once again my opinion, but all the shooters I have helped, I usually instruct them to shoot a semi first and try out various over unders and save until they find the one they like. Every yildiz I have shot were just not great guns. I guess for the price you are getting an over under, but in my opinion, not the best option.

Heck you will buy a few before its all said and done, go have fun shooting, just focus on the bird not the barrel.
Prince_Ahmed
quote:
quote:
quote]So how is a Browning or Beretta O/U going to kick less than a Yildez? What in the Browning is absorbing recoil that the Yildiz isn't

Weight. It's nothing more than simple physics. My Citori 725 weighs 7.5lbs while the Yildiz weighs 6.2lbs and that translates into a huge difference in felt recoil.
I was referring to the general comment that Yildez kick more than Brownings or Berettas.

Not all Yildez are lighter than all "Brownings or Berettas" - the 686 silver pidgeon weights 6 to 6.8 lbs out of the box, and a Yildiz weighs 6 to 7 pounds. Sure, a 725 trap is going to weigh more than a Yildiz, but the 725 field version weighs 6.25 to 7 lbs.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.