Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sean98's "Elk Hunting" Experience

9,408 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sean98
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Imagine if you will an 18 year old high school kid. He has a beautiful girlfriend, but has yet to experience that sweet, sweet "love." On New Years his beautiful girlfriend tells him that prom night is going to be the magic night. He will lose his virginity. But she wants him to set the mood perfectly. Chauffeured limo, fancy dinner, posh hotel room, spa day afterwards... This is going to cost a pretty penny but it'll be worth it.

...for years he has heard locker room stories about how great sex is from all of his friends who have "experience." He's found a lot of internet videos that get him SUPER excited. Now he has to wait 5 months... It's ALL he can think about. He dreams about it. He daydreams about it. He researches how to do it best because he doesn't want to embarrass himself.... He works out at a feverish pace so that he can perform. FIVE. MONTHS. He's at a fevered pitch on prom night. And once it finally arrives it is NOTHING like he has envisioned. In fact, the object of his affections decides it's NOT going to be her night... she's saving herself for marriage. But because she promised, she has a new plan. He can lose his virginity to her Aunt Ethel. Now Aunt Ethel weighs about 500 pounds and she's hairy and smelly. It appears she hasn't bathed in decades. And she demands to be on top so you can't breathe. The experience is terrible. It is nothing like he's heard from friends or seen on the internet. Yeah, he got f***ed, but he's not sure he ever wants to again. Then he wakes up the next day to find out that the fat smelly b**ch stole $2000 out of his wallet on her way out the door. ...then he discovers he has syphillis, the clap and HIV.

He hates all of his friends that lied to him. He hates the internet for providing unrealistic expectations. He hates himself for daring to believe. He'll probably change his mind at some point in the future (because surely it can't always be this terrible) but for now he has no interest in ever doing this again.

...that is a pretty good description of my elk hunting experience. It was essentially a physically taxing, very expensive and disappointing camping trip.

(TL;DnR: 3 guys, 13 days hunting each - so 39 total hunt days as we spread out across multiple mountains/basins - a SINGLE bugle 5 minutes after dark that lasted less than 4 seconds counting the 3 chuckles at the end. We saw elk in the first/last 5 minutes of light MILES away when glassing. Then they went into the dark timber deadfalls never to return in the daylight. Not even a single cow call.)
Post removed:
by user
Centerpole90
AG
Hey, at least you caught that tarpon in Flor.....

Wait.

Welcome back.
dubi
Credible Source
AG
So you know how people on here make fun of guys that drop real money in exchange for a comfortable place to sleep, great food and a big amazing trophy? There's a reason people do that.
mwm
Maybe Aggiechemist will share some of your cost...
OnlyForNow
AG
Damn
chocolatelabs
AG
Check with NW80. He seems to have a found a good a spot to go.
Aries
The doctor I work with, her husband just had a similar experience. He went to WY to bow hunt elk. Booked the trip 2 years ago. Total bust.

She thought it was kind of funny. But it sucks for me since he gives us a lot elk meat.
AquaAg1984
AG
Bringing up sex as a preclude to an analogy is probably not the way to go when you are bunking with guys. Just saying.
agingcowboy
AG
So did that chick really wait until she was married?

Elk hunting sucks sometimes. It can be a brutal grind. Two years ago I hiked 138 miles in the Bob in 8 days and never had an arrow on the string. It doesn't always suck though, and that's why I keep hunting.

If it makes you feel any better one of my hunting buddy's hunting buddies shot what might be a new world record in Bozeman last week
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Goodest Poster
AG
Dam, were you hunting at sea level?
Sean98
AG
I'm pretty grumpy and tired right now but I'm sure I'll get over it. It was beautiful country and I'm in better shape than I've been in several years. I have some nice new gear and I killed my first dusky grouse ever. I wish I had taken the dogs with me so I could have salvaged the hunt.

If I do it again I'd do it the exact same way but pray for better weather and pay attention to the moon phase. Guess I'm not the kind of guy to pay a hooker if I'm horny and not willing to put in the work to find a pretty girl. Not even if it's a real fancy cat house with comfy beds and nice meals.

This too will fade. It's deer season here in Kansas and I think I'm going to jump in the truck in the next week or two and chase prairie chickens and sharpies with the dogs in the Sandhills of Nebraska. I'll probably figure out a way to survive. Just a little b**chy right now.
Sean98
AG
quote:

Base Camp at 9500' and tip top was about 12000'. Much lower than our normal mule deer hunts. Oxygen deprivation sucks but nothing that we weren't prepared for there.
Credible Source
AG
quote:
I'm pretty grumpy and tired right now but I'm sure I'll get over it. It was beautiful country and I'm in better shape than I've been in several years. I have some nice new gear and I killed my first dusky grouse ever. I wish I had taken the dogs with me so I could have salvaged the hunt.

If I do it again I'd do it the exact same way but pray for better weather and pay attention to the moon phase. Guess I'm not the kind of guy to pay a hooker if I'm horny and not willing to put in the work to find a pretty girl. Not even if it's a real fancy cat house with comfy beds and nice meals.

This too will fade. It's deer season here in Kansas and I think I'm going to jump in the truck in the next week or two and chase prairie chickens and sharpies with the dogs in the Sandhills of Nebraska. I'll probably figure out a way to survive. Just a little b**chy right now.

Sean98 is to Elk hunting, as average looking black dude is to chasing ass.
Goodest Poster
AG
quote:
quote:

Base Camp at 9500' and tip top was about 12000'. Much lower than our normal mule deer hunts. Oxygen deprivation sucks but nothing that we weren't prepared for there.

Last season, we hunted NorthWest Colorado, base at 10500, 3rd season. Didnt see a single elk til a huge snowfall, last day. Buddy shot a 378, i settled for a pb mulie. I can appreciate the dissappoinment sentiment...though I loved every other part of our hunt. Even called a turkey to the front porch.
AgEng06
AG
Good God man. The mountain has broken you.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Shoulda hunted with schmelba in Kerrville.
EskimoJoe
Sean, there is an elk season in your home state. There is a heard 25 miles northeast of me. My brother in law hunted them last season for the first time. He didn't shoot anything but learned a lot about their movements and habits so he kind of knows what to expect this year.
Log
AG
Annnnnd welcome to elk hunting. It's the physical manifestion of 99% boredom and 1% sheer terror. But that 1% is ridiculous and hard to explain if you haven't been close in on it.

Hoping they're still bugling in a couple weeks when we head to the Pecos for MZ season. Believe me, I've hiked my arse off looking for them when they are tight lipped. Really sucks sometime, but the scenery is great.
Secolobo
AG
They don't call it shooting...
shaynew1
AG
I've spent a lot of money on bow hiking trips. It just takes one bugle in your face and it won't matter how many trips you don't see jack on...you'll be waiting for September no matter what. Sorry it didn't happen for you this year.
texrover91
AG
Tough break - the tl/dr version sounds like an awesome adventure

Makes 3 days of diesel stalking sound like a bargain though

DVM97
AG
And that's why you pay for a private land tag you cheap *******!!!

DVM
Salt of the water
AG
Sounds like a rough case of elk blue balls. Maybe next time you'll get to release (an arrow).
ursusguy
AG
I've been talking to the outfitter that is packing us in (unguided, spike camp---Unit 24, east of Meeker). In their area the elk are "acting really odd", they are either really high or down in the desert with nothing in between. They haven't had any snow yet which is somewhat unusual in this area.

After seeing Sean's hunting/scouting map several years ago, I can pretty safely say he isn't too worried about his love life. ;-)
Aggzwin00
And that's exactly why we went to broadmouth canyon ranch in Idaho, had a great time

I was going to post a thread about our hunt with more pics but I know it'll turn into a high fence/low fence fight so decided not too --- but we had fun and didn't come home empty handed to say the least

[URL=.html][/URL]
AgEng06
AG
Good Lord
FirefightAg
AG
Well there is always next year
Sean98
AG
quote:
Well there is always next year

You kidding? I'll have 2 dogs in their prime and an old man in his waning years. I won't be wasting my time with elk next year when I can tote a shotgun and watch the dogs.
Sean98
AG
More importantly the planning for the REAL hunting season has begun!

It should be a real nice bird season in Kansas this year. Milo is beginning to ripen, corn is being cut, wheat is already up... I need to get a deer on the ground before mid November so I don't waste any of bird season sitting in a tree.
texrover91
AG
That's "gathering" Compared to 39 man days elk hunting at altitude
BurrOak
AG
I did my first elk hunt 2 years ago. I went through the some emotional roller coaster you did. Months of planning and getting in shape. We hunted 3rd rifle season in Colorado near Pagosa Springs at around 11,000 elevation due to there not being any snow yet. Never saw an elk after covering 20+ miles the first few days. Then a blizzard hit and dumped about a foot of snow. Then after the storm passed, we woke up the next morning with elk tracks everywhere, headed down the mountain. We packed up and moved camp to a different location, but still the got the same result. The moon phase was perfectly wrong as well. After 8 days of hunting, we saw 0 elk.

Oddly enough, I barely felt any disappointment on the drive back to Texas. We did have a great time. I knew I gave it my all, and saw some spectacular scenery. Round 2 coming up in November.
EskimoJoe
quote:
More importantly the planning for the REAL hunting season has begun!

It should be a real nice bird season in Kansas this year. Milo is beginning to ripen, corn is being cut, wheat is already up... I need to get a deer on the ground before mid November so I don't waste any of bird season sitting in a tree.

I picked up my atlas a couple weeks ago. It was almost a perfect summer for birds. Ive been seeing a lot of them. I cant wait.
PFG
AG
I tell ya, elk hunting sucks. Everyone wants the out West, beautiful mountain, shoot an elk in a meadow type of hunt. That just don't happen. Not OTC, DIY.

Elk hunting is cold, dark, steep, tiring, steep, boring, frustrating, grinding.

You spend all off season pouring over Google Earth imagining elk right here on this ridge, or bedded in this cover. Maybe even drinking from this stream or traveling along that bench. Then you get to that ridge/cover/water/bench and find no elk, no tracks. Happens all the dang time.

Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.