Outdoors
Sponsored by

Shipping Guns

2,704 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zemira
Zemira
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My friend has 3 long guns in Texas. He needs to ship them to himself in Washington State.

How to ship?
Zemira
AG
FFL to FFL?
skelso
AG
Is he in Texas, later to be in Washington?

If so, he can ship them to himself, or to someone else "in care of" himself. Legally, no one but him can open the package.

If he's already in Washington and someone here in Texas will ship them for him then he can either find an FFL there that is willing to receive shipments from non licensed person or he'll have to have them shipped FFL to FFL.
Zemira
AG
He's in Texas leaving tomorrow for Washington, so looks like I will be sending then to him.

What is the easiest way to do that?
BlueMiles
AG
You might try contacting TheEyeGuy in Houston, owner@texianfirearms.com.
Zemira
AG
Thanks will do that tomorrow. Don't even know how I volunteered myself for this.

The things we do for friends.
Credible Source
AG
Why not just take them with him? He can fly with them.
Zemira
AG
Its a longer story than I know all the details to but his flight leaves a noon tomorrow and he doesn't have a hard sided locking case for them.

Trust me if this was my deal, I would have planned everything out.

I'm just trying to help him out and not store the guns at my house until he comes back in six months.
skelso
AG
Sorry, just saw your reply.

If you are sending them they will have to be sent to an FFL and he will have to form 4473 them when he picks them up. Find an FFL in that area and contact them BEFORE you ship them. Explan the situation and make sure they will receive the shipment from an individual. If not, you'll have to have an FFL local to you ship them. They will need a copy of the receiving shop's FFL and will provide the receiving shop with a copy of their FFL for A&D books.
Zemira
AG
Thanks! I emailed Eyeguy as well. He says he has an FFL in WA, so hopefully Eyeguy can help me out.

My friend is now the most disorganised person I know. I think I'm too nice of a friend sometimes.
txyaloo
AG
skelso's answer is the 100% legal answer.

On the "gray" side - have your friend package the guns and print the shipping label. Then you simply drop them off at UPS or Fedex. If they're secured in the packaging, they were never in your possession.

Going through an FFL for something like this is going to be an expensive hassle.
DallasAggies01
AG
quote:
Thanks! I emailed Eyeguy as well. He says he has an FFL in WA, so hopefully Eyeguy can help me out.

My friend is now the most disorganised person I know. I think I'm too nice of a friend sometimes.

Probably true I've fallen into the category of being too nice before also. Something he should've taken care of earlier if he's that concerned about having his guns.
Zemira
AG
Yeah I realize that but I found this out at 7pm and he left on a plane at noon. So I have his guns. If not he will have to fly back and pick them up.
Post removed:
by user
Zemira
AG
I hope not. My friend is supposedly a grown adult, but acts about half his age.
skelso
AG
I was going to make a similar suggestion but decided not to due to issues I have had with counter help at both FedEx and UPS in BCS not knowing their own company policies. Technically it is legal. Getting them to accept the shipment is a whole other story...
BrazosDog02
AG
Sounds like a missed opportunity to buy some guns on the cheap. I would have had that squared away before anything else in terms of getting my guns back....not at 7pm of the day I'm leaving.

I would insure the packages for what they are wortg, ship to myself, and tell the kids at the store that I'm shipping vacuum wands for warranty.
CanyonAg77
AG
Why would you tell the UPS counter folks what is in the box?
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Why would you tell the UPS counter folks what is in the box?
Legally, you have to when shipping guns via common carrier. It's a violation of federal law to not disclose. You also risk losing any insurance claim if something happens to the package.
CanyonAg77
AG
Thanks. I have seen references to people shipping "machine parts". Didn't know there was a requirement. Seems like a stupid requirement. Sort of like stating "I'm shipping diamonds and gold bullion".
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Thanks. I have seen references to people shipping "machine parts". Didn't know there was a requirement. Seems like a stupid requirement. Sort of like stating "I'm shipping diamonds and gold bullion".
Diamonds and gold aren't federally/state regulated like firearms. I suspect the notification requirement is to limit liability for the carrier. The law has required notification for a long time. Lots of people don't do it.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier
Zemira
AG
I reached out to Eyeguy and he is going to help me get the guns shipped.

To say my friend is disorganised is an understatement. Anyone else would have the foresight to plan for your guns in advance.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.