Outdoors
Sponsored by

Tractor repair in/ near Houston

1,573 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 76Ag
AUAg92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got a New Holland 5000 series. I can shred about 1/2 acre then rpm's start to fall and tractor dies. Have replaced fuel line & filter. Tractor then has to sit for awhile before it will start again. Any ideas or advice? I live in Waller area. Thanks.
Muzzleblast
Did you totally drain the fuel tank?

Drain then put fuel in with a diesel biocide.

This years heat and humidity has played havoc with tractor fuel systems.
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Canyon and Centerpole are the resident experts, but I'd say (assuming you're sure that the fuel is not being obstructed by rust flakes etc that are being drawn to the outlet of tank) to be sure to look at the electrical circuit to see what is getting hot after 1/2 acre and losing continuity.

Even the ignition switch or frayed wires can cause an interruption after they flow a little current and overheat.

Good luck. Let us know how it works out and what the %$^^ caused it.
EskimoJoe
Sounds like you still have or are drawing air in the fuel system but it's strange that it will start back up. Does it have an auto shut down if it gets hot or oil pressure drops etc?
MouthBQ98
AG
Pump is losing prime due to a clog upstream from the pump that lets a trickle of fuel in, but once it runs off what trickles into the lines while it sits, it starts sucking air?

Many tractors gravity feed the pump, which only pressurizes the fuel for the injectors. It sounds like your feed to the pump has a leak or partial blockage.
DUman08
AG
quote:
I've got a New Holland 5000 series. I can shred about 1/2 acre then rpm's start to fall and tractor dies. Have replaced fuel line & filter. Tractor then has to sit for awhile before it will start again. Any ideas or advice? I live in Waller area. Thanks.

Roberts tractor repair just north on 362
(936) 931-1180
Or
Steves tractor repair in Navasota
76Ag
AG
Ignition coil is getting hot and failing.
AUAg92
AG
Thanks for all the responses y'all. Good start.
John1248
AG
If it starts after it sits, then it's not losing prime do to an air leak. You have a blockage in one of the lines or it could be the pump itself. Sometimes pumps that are failing can manage with cold diesel, but once everything warms up and gets hot they quit.

What did the old filters look like? See any trash or rust? Yoi really shouldn't have anything past your filters so if you have good clean fuel from the tank to your filter base, I'm betting its your fuel pump.
techno-ag
AG
Sell it and don't buy another New Holland.
EskimoJoe
quote:
Ignition coil is getting hot and failing.

Where do you usually find the coil on a diesel?
76Ag
AG

Well, I admit to not knowing anything about Diesels, lol. after I posted the reply I realized my error, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.