Outdoors
Sponsored by

SIAP: Oregon ranches responds to government request to survey his property

6,001 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by ursusguy
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link

quote:
Dear Mr. Niemela:
Thank you for your inquiry regarding accessing our property to survey for the yellow-legged frog. We may be able to help you out with this matter.

We have divided our 2.26 acres into 75 equal survey units with a draw tag for each unit. Application fees are only $8.00 per unit after you purchase the "Frog Survey License" ($120.00 resident / $180.00 Non-Resident). You will also need to obtain a "Frog Habitat" parking permit ($10.00 per vehicle). You will also need an "Invasive Species" stamp ($15.00 for the first vehicle and $5.00 for each add'l vehicle) You will also want to register at the Check Station to have your vehicle inspected for non-native plant life prior to entering our property. There is also a Day Use fee, $5.00 per vehicle.

If you are successful in the Draw you will be notified two weeks in advance so you can make necessary plans and purchase your "Creek Habitat" stamp. ($18.00 Resident / $140.00 Non-Resident). Survey units open between 8am and 3pm but you cannot commence survey until 9am and must cease all survey activity by 1pm.

Survey Gear can only include a net with a 2 diameter made of 100% organic cotton netting with no longer than an 18 handle, non-weighted and no deeper than 6 from net frame to bottom of net. Handles can only be made of BPA-free plastics or wooden handles. After 1pm you can use a net with a 3 diameter if you purchase the "Frog Net Endorsement" ($75.00 Resident / $250 Non-Resident). Any frogs captured that are released will need to be released with an approved release device back into the environment unharmed.

As of June 1, we are offering draw tags for our "Premium Survey" units and application is again only $8.00 per application. However, all fees can be waived if you can verify Native Indian Tribal rights and status.

You will also need to provide evidence of successful completion of "Frog Surveys and You" comprehensive course on frog identification, safe handling practices, and self-defense strategies for frog attacks. This course is offered online through an accredited program for a nominal fee of $750.00.
Please let us know if we can be of assistance to you. Otherwise, we decline your access to our property but appreciate your inquiry.

Sincerely,
Larry & Amanda Anderson
TX AG 88
AG
lol
Chickenhawk
YES!!!
FincAggie06
AG
Gold!!
35chililights
AG
Fantastic!
Waltonloads08
Canyon99
montanagriz
S
Was this posted on here a year ago or is this a different one? Very clever...love reading these

edit...saw the date was this may and june. Awesome response

Blane
Bregxit
AG
quote:
Was this posted on here a year ago or is this a different one? Very clever...love reading these

edit...saw the date was this may and june. Awesome response

I had the exact same feeling! Man this has been a loooooong year in my world.

Funny stuff!
Naveronski
agsalaska
AG
That is funny.
ccolley68
Bert315
AG
On point. Would be even better if they could actually enforce all of it. Get everyone in the area to do the same thing.
dr_boogs
AG
Pretty funny, but 50 bucks says they just earned themselves an audit from the IRS.

#tinfoilhats
ursusguy
AG
It's all fun a games until the landowner comes back looking for help when there is an emminent domain issue (not a real effective defense). Fyi, with TPWD, if you come looking for help after not releasing info on xyz species, they officially know nothing. Suprisingly, this happens a lot.
CactusThomas
AG
quote:
Fyi, with TPWD, if you come looking for help after not releasing info on xyz species, they officially know nothing.

That is despicable behavior from TPWD. Not surprising at all.
ursusguy
AG
It's call TPWD being serious with the signed privacy agreement. Have a T&E species on your property, you can elect to allow TPWD to work with that information (T&E species is going to be greatly buffered), they actually have something official they can work with if the issue pops up and can provide data on why xyz project should be rethought. Don't release the information, that is the call of the private landowner, that's perfectly fine just remember that if there is a listing issue pop up, they don't officially have anything to work with. There are a number species that are frankly doing pretty well in Texas, but without data is it hard to prove.
ursusguy
AG
Oh, I checked with my buddy with Oregon, and this is a legit letter.
trip
AG
Love it.
Lungblood
Canyon99
quote:
quote:
Fyi, with TPWD, if you come looking for help after not releasing info on xyz species, they officially know nothing.

That is despicable behavior from TPWD. Not surprising at all.

Exactly. Where does the funding come from for the state P&WD's? Money tree I assume?
ursusguy
AG
On the wildlife side, about 90% sale of hunting licenses and PR payments. About 3% goes to non-game but accounts for 95% of the species in Texas (and guess where most of the contentious species are).

Again, this is no great secret. TPWD is actually adhering to the wishes of the landowner. The landowner has the option of changing things later.....but I can tell that removes any ability on the front end of dealing with the feds.

It's not to be snotty, it's to legally fulfill their obligations based on your signed paperwork.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I took some wildlife classes with my range major.

The PR is the Pittman Roberston act

Good stuff guys

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PittmanRobertson_Federal_Aid_in_Wildlife_Restoration_Act
AggieDruggist89
AG
For those of you thinking you're having a deja vu, this was posted earlier in the summer.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2755190/replies/46432826
SACR
AG
quote:
For those of you thinking you're having a deja vu, this was posted earlier in the summer.

I figured someone would have posted it on here before, hence my title.

I don't hang out on here enough to see everything that is posted.
AggieDruggist89
AG
quote:
quote:

I figured someone would have posted it on here before, hence my title.

I don't hang out on here enough to see everything that is posted.
Even those of us who do hang out here often, we forget.

I really had to think about this one...kept saying, I have read that somewhere.
chucktheaggiejeweler
Sponsor
AG
That just about covers it.
God's Peace,
Chuck

Fifth C Jewelry
oragator
Landowner's right, thought I'm not sure telling off a faceless guy making 40k and asking politely is going to do much.

But when I see requests like these get turned down, I think back to the black footed ferret.
For those that don't know the story, they were a plains ferret declared extinct in 1979.
In 1981 in middle of nowhere Wyoming, a dog brought a strange animal back to the family farm. Dad threw it away not knowing what it was, but mom wanted to have it stuffed. She took it to a taxidermist who recognized what it was and called authorities and biologists descended on the land. Turns out it was the ferret, a colony had somehow survived trapping, distemper, poising of wolves and coyotes loss of their food (prairie dogs) and countless other threats to beat the odds and keep the species alive. Within a few years even that population had crashed, and only 18 survived. They started a captive breeding program and now there are almost 1000 that have been reintroduced around North America in one of the most amazing an improbable recovery stories there is. They are 20% of the way to delisting and the town where all this happened has fully embraced their role in bringing it back.

I tell that story because these same ranchers, the ones who have led to a number of species being depleted or in some cases completely extirpated, have a role to play in securing the future of the ecosystems they live in. I get distrust of government, fear of regulation that could come from it, but they have a disportionate share of the land, in order to avoid more species falling further into trouble, their help is needed. And not only are they saying no (again their right), they are mocking the people trying to save these species. Just seems sad to me. Especially after they just won a victory in eastern Oregon to control wolf populations where necessary.

Jmo.
ursusguy
AG
Yep. And it is the state biologists, armed with good information that were able to work with the fed to gain that control.

The new Oregon state furbearer/wolf biologist was my officemate until October of last year. He is extremely good at dealing with the feds, and landowners, when he has legitimate information.

My second partner at Philmont was on Colorado's black footed ferret team, and now Sage grouse team.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.