Outdoors
Sponsored by

The ATF Is Illegally Hoarding American Gun Owners’ Personal Information

3,795 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Lungblood
FatZilla
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/02/the-atf-is-illegally-hoarding-american-gun-owners-personal-information/

quote:
The U.S. Government Accountability Office (GAO), the go-to federal oversight agency, conducted an audit of ATF and found it does not remove certain identifiable information, despite the law explicitly mandating it do so. GAO conducted reviews for four data systems, and concluded at least two of ATF's systems violated official protocols.
quote:
Multiple Sales (MS) and Access 2000, or A2K are the systems in violation.

Interesting report on the illegal activities of the ATF. I say we should just scrap the ATF altogether.
CS78
Is this really any surprise? Will anything be done about it?
BenderRodriguez
AG
quote:
Is this real any surprise? Will anything be done about it?

No.

And

No.
AgEng06
AG
Beat me to it.
'03ag
I was assured we're all paranoid.
txyaloo
AG
This is interesting.

quote:
Furthermore, GAO found that ATF does not, but potentially should, have an outlined policy that specifies how out-of-business FFLs should submit documentation of compliance or share pertinent information.
Somehow our bound books and old 4473s never made it back to BATFE when we went out of business. I'm not sure how that happened. Must have been lost in the mail. BATFE definitely needs a better process for returning those.
powerbiscuit
The government can't keep track of their own e-mails worth a ****, but you can bet your ass they know about every firearm and CHL for every conservative (aka right wing terrorist) in the country.
tamu2009
AG
The ATF uses Access 2000???
Bregxit
AG
quote:
The ATF uses Access 2000???

I'm guessing it's a system name, not the software.
RoseRichAg01
Shocking.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
The NRA sues the Feds everytime this happens. Never amounts to anything. Like they did this time, the ATF always deletes the information when the GAO tells them they have it.

I don't get the logic that this is intentional. If the Feds want to illegally keep track of the 350 million privately owned guns in the US, why are the Feds checking to make sure the Feds are deleting all information the Feds are legally required to delete? That's a complicated plot. A low bid software system seems to be the most reasonable explanation.
Fighting Texas Aggie
quote:
The NRA sues the Feds everytime this happens. Never amounts to anything. Like they did this time, the ATF always deletes the information when the GAO tells them they have it.

I don't get the logic that this is intentional. If the Feds want to illegally keep track of the 350 million privately owned guns in the US, why are the Feds checking to make sure the Feds are deleting all information the Feds are legally required to delete? That's a complicated plot. A low bid software system seems to be the most reasonable explanation.

The IRS labeled 501c3 applications with the words conservative, Liberty, freedom, tea party, etc. as applications for terrorists groups that needed further review

You know who caught them? The federal government
Texas 1836
AG

BATF
http://i.imgur.com/9GYUInB.gif

eff this sites rookie posting rules.
"Texags, how may i help you"
"This is the IRS..."
Texas 1836
AG
For BATF

schmellba99
AG
Wait just a minute! I was told by more than one poster on here not but a few weeks ago that there is absolutely no possible way the ATF has information on individuals.

This must be false reporting. Remember, the government is here to help.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I've stopped pretending that the government is following its own rules. Its better to just accept the fact that the government has tabs on every gun you own where a background check was run on purchase.

You've known deep down for years that there IS a active database and you are probably in it.
dr_boogs
AG
quote:
Wait just a minute! I was told by more than one poster on here not but a few weeks ago that there is abaolutely no possible way the ATF has information on i,dividuals.

I seem to recall the exact same interaction in that other thread. Some posters were incredulous that you'd believe such nonsense, tinfoil hat wearer and a total marginalization of your view/opinion.
txyaloo
AG
quote:
Wait just a minute! I was told by more than one poster on here not but a few weeks ago that there is abaolutely no possible way the ATF has information on i,dividuals.

IIRC, we were talking in the other thread about a vast database of gun owners compiled via NICS.

Multiple sale forms are being sent to BATFE. It's pretty well know that they're keeping that info. Otherwise there's no reason for FFLs to send it.

Access 2000 isn't some vast database of gun owners either. "ACCESS 2000 is a partnership between ATF and firearms industry members, such as importers, manufacturers, and wholesalers. It provides the National Tracing Center with online access to records to assist in the tracing process" These are all big fish that aren't generally selling direct to consumers. It's the first step in the trace process to get to the dealer who sold the gun.

It's worth reading the actual report:

http://www.gao.gov/assets/680/678091.pdf

quote:
A2K for firearms records of in-business industry members complies with the appropriations act restriction on consolidation and centralization based on A2K's statutory foundation and its features. ATF believes, and we agree, that A2K for in-business records appropriately balances the restriction on consolidating and centralizing firearms records with ATF's need to access firearms information in support of its mission to enforce the Gun Control Act of 1968, as amended. Federal law requires FFLs to provide firearms disposition information to ATF within 24 hours in response to a trace request in the course of a criminal investigation.55 ATF officials told us that they developed A2K in response to industry member requests for an automated option for responding to trace requests. Prior to A2K, FFLs could only respond to trace requests by having dedicated personnel research firearms disposition information and then submit that information to ATF by phone, fax, or e-mail. In contrast, A2K provides industry memberswho voluntarily participate in A2Kwith servers to facilitate automated electronic responses to ATF trace requests.56 Under A2K, industry members upload their electronic firearms disposition information onto the servers located at their premises on a regular basis. Industry members not ATFretain possession and control of their disposition records and, according to ATF officials, they may withdraw from A2K and remove their records from the servers at any time. A2K includes a secure user web interface to each of the servers and ATF may only obtain A2K disposition information by searching individual industry member servers by exact firearm serial number. Through this search, ATF obtains the same information from each industry member as it would otherwise obtain by phone, fax, or e-mail, and in similar disaggregated form.

*According to ATF, as of April 25, 2016, there are 35 industry members representing 66 manufacturer, importer, and wholesaler FFLs participating in A2K. Generally, retail FFLs are not able to participate in A2K. However, NTC officials stated that they are not aware whether an A2K industry member has a retail store as part of its operations, as was the case with one A2K industry member we interviewed. For the purposes of this report, the term "industry members" refers to FFLs participating in A2K

Presley OBannons Sword
quote:

all it means is that the ENTIRE government isn't corrupt. so...great?
wadd96
AG
quote:
quote:

I seem to recall the exact same interaction in that other thread. Some posters were incredulous that you'd believe such nonsense, tinfoil hat wearer and a total marginalization of your view/opinion.
You too?
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
agsalaska
AG
quote:
Wait just a minute! I was told by more than one poster on here not but a few weeks ago that there is absolutely no possible way the ATF has information on individuals.

Wait a minute, you are using this report as proof about the ATF keeping a database? Or are storing recoverable meaningful customer data?

LOL. That actually doesn't surprise me.

Did you read it?
Lungblood
This is foreplay fof MemphisAg.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.