Outdoors
Sponsored by

How to handle this situation? CCW related

7,226 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 230Ag
G. hirsutum Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.reddit.com/r/CCW/comments/4uguke/i_had_a_situation_today_where_i_had_to_use_my_ccw/

quote:
I was on my way into the local grocery store nearby my house to grab a few items my wife forgot for dinner. As I walked towards the store, a younger man approached me. Something looked off about him, so I told him kindly that I wasn't interested and he yells "f*** y** b****" as I step into the store. I thought that my intuition seemed to be correct.
I grab the items, go to the self-check out register, and pay for them. The same man that approached me outside the store targets me asking for money which I kindly refuse. He begins to swear and scream profanities at me and I ignore him and begin walking back to my car with bags in hand.
He follows me out of the store and litterally pushes me into the second set of doors knocking them open. I turn around and say "touch me again, and you will get hurt."
He explodes with rage and begins a tirade of profanities while following me all the way back to the car. I calmly open my door and place my bags in the car, ignoring him the whole time and hoping that he would realize that I didn't have time for his bs.
As I start to climb into my car, he grabs my neck with his hands and presses me against the car while screaming in my face. I swung a fist and connected with his jaw which staggered him. I tried getting into car while onlookers were calling police and he forces the driver's door shut.
At this point, he flips out a small knife and says "Im going to cut you f*****." I lifted my shirt and pulled my gun (Glock 26), but I was scared. I really didn't want to shoot the idiot, but I would if he came closer. Thankfully, he turned and ran as soon as he saw the gun, booking down the parking lot into an alley. The police arrived and I went back to station and filed report.
Safe to say that I will never be going to that grocery store again. My wife understandably wants to move, but on the bright side I've conviced her to get her own CCW. Don't know what the crazy guy's problem was, but glad no one was seriously hurt.
Happened in the dallas area apparently. I think the dude is pretty lucky
Josepi
AG
Sounds like to guy handled it pretty well. Defended himself, and didn't escalate the situation any more than it needed to be.
FincAg
AG
Which store did he go to?
TwoMarksHand
AG
If it were me I would have pulled my carry right after the punch connected.

Crazy story.
Blane
I think he handled it very well according to his account. It's tough for any of us to know what we would do in that situation. I would have a hard time going to my car knowing this guy is following me.

He showed good restraint and I wish this story would be in the forefront of the MSM to show a responsible gun owner protecting himself.

I feel society has become so dependent on someone else taking care of many issues that we have lost our own thought process. There is too much security in thinking police will prevent crime. There is too much trust in doctors. Just not enough people researching, training, and looking out for themselves anymore.
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
As soon as the guy pushed him into the second set of doors, he should have immediately gone back inside, told the manager and called the police.

Allowing himself to be targeted any further after that was just stupid.
EVA3
AG
He should tell his wife not to forget anything at the store ever again.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
As soon as the guy pushed him into the second set of doors, he should have immediately gone back inside, told the manager and called the police.

Allowing himself to be targeted any further after that was just stupid.
Yep. No way I just walk out at that point. I don't pull on that, and even if I didn't go talk to the manager, the second that dude kept following me to my truck, he woulda been informed of what would happen to him if he came near me. No way I let that guy get close enough to me to put his hands on my neck after already pushing me once.

That being said, this worked out well, and I'm sure the guy is glad about that. Constant situational awareness may prevent some of that. I think he showed amazing restraint. Probably TOO much. Happy he's safe and hope they find this guy.
always gig em
AG
quote:
I feel society has become so dependent on someone else taking care of many issues that we have lost our own thought process. There is too much security in thinking police will prevent crime. There is too much trust in doctors. Just not enough people researching, training, and looking out for themselves anymore.

Boom. Blue star for you sir right here.

Had I been pushed into some doors or (at all) I most definitely would have defended myself. His choice if he wants to throw hands or pull guns, but most assuredly he would not be touching me again.
Signel
AG
My one serious incident with a biker taught me one thing... You are never prepared enough for the level of nerves and once you pull your gun you can't go backwards.

The guy could likely search my neighborhood for my car... It didn't sink in until after the event and that thought in the back of my mind never leaves. Remember, there are always consequences for your actions no matter how right you are. Morality didn't play into my situation. The guy trying to attack me didn't care about the law, and would not later down the road if he found my car/house. What if he was recording from his motorcycle and had my plates?

I am not saying I wouldn't do the same thing again though. You just have to be 100% certain that it is you or them. The sad thing is I am more certain than ever that more of you will face the same kinds of risk. Be vigilant and for gods sake...... practice with your gun/holster.

(not going to repost my story.. tl;dr biker tried to attack me/cut me off and chased me forcing me to draw on him as he approached my window.)
RedlineAg08
The second after he threw me into the doors I would have been ending his worthless life.

Dude is more patient than me.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
The second after he threw me into the doors I would have been ending his worthless life.

That probably woulda gotten you arrested and charged. Guy pushes you from behind, you turn around and shoot him??

Taking a human life, even justifiably in defense or war, is not an inconsequential act. It changes a man.
RedlineAg08
No, my instincts wouldn't been to grab my gun. It would have been to drop my **** and beat him until he was limp. And I would have gladly accepted my jail time and fine
Rockdoc
AG
Nope just go back in immediately and get the manager or call police. Don't even touch the guy unless he blocks you. If you're carrying a gun, your thought process has to change. Don't even put yourself in a position where you might have to pull your gun if you can prevent it. If you're in that position and you fear for your life, use your gun. If you pull your gun on somebody close in, you have to use it. If you don't or hesitate, your gun will get used on you.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
No, my instincts wouldn't been to grab my gun. It would have been to drop my **** and beat him until he was limp. And I would have gladly accepted my jail time and fine
In all honesty, I hope you have some more restraint than this in real life. If a troll, go elsewhere. I pray you never have to make that choice in real life.

I'm also guessing you don't have a wife, kids, or close family that rely on you for anything. Or else "gladly accepting your jail time" means some serious consequences for them. But I know it's easy to talk like that on the internet so I'll let it go.
RedlineAg08
Lol I'm no troll and I have a family.

I'm sure going back in the store was the best option. But all reason and saneness would have left me the moment he pushed me through the doors.

I avoid conflict as best as I can, and I am as kind and respectful to people as a man can be. Those that don't respect orhers are worthless scum in my book.
EVA3
AG
I would be furious too, but if you are packing, you have to keep it together.
lb3
AG
schmellba99
AG
Under what statute?

If the events of the story are accurate, how can you not justify return force when assault and battery comes into play? Any sane person would come to the conclusion that a person following you in (daylight ot dark is irrelevant here) in a public place and yelling obsceneties at you and then assaults you has exceeded the threshold that requires resposne of force.

We later found out that the perp was armed with a knife. The person in the story is absolutely lucky that the BG did not draw the k,ife when he attacked the CCW carrier from behind.

I get that one cannot draw at every slight in every situation, but sometimes I think that some of you think it is only acceptable to draw once rounds are heading your way or when blood has been drawn, and then only when done so with a deadly weapon.

A CCW is not a strategic weapon like an ICBM or a nuke and does,not,need to be held in the same regard.
Buck Compton
AG
No, you're right, it's not an ICBM. It's a very personal defensive weapon. And I will choose my own life over an attackers any day. But it is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I will take every chance to de-escalate the situation - and I don't think that makes me a coward or scared to use my weapon.

It is a powerful object and one that must be treated with respect and handled with responsibility. Being pushed from behind, and turning around and popping the guy won't help your case for being reasonable and I'd dare say escalates the situation. That's the kind of thing that hurts the cause. Turning around and beating the snot out of the guy also will get you in trouble. And I guarantee you that being a CHL holder will be a VERY bold talking point in the news as your story goes viral in either situation.

Knowledge of the knife wasn't there and wouldn't have been a credible defense. As a man of reason and intellect, you have to keep your wits about you in a situation like this. Keep a cool and calm head - and go home to your family at the end of the night alive and without legal charges hanging over your head.

A crazy (probably drugged out) bum pushing me is likely going to get me riled up and ready to pull my gun - but I will face him with my hand by my hip backing away telling him not to come near me first. Keep your basket between you and him as you return to the store to call the police and this fees slate the situation. CHL is my last line of defense.
Rockdoc
AG
Yeah if you hit somebody with your fist and then shoot them later, you're gonna be in trouble. If the law doesn't get you the guys lawyer will.
EVA3
AG
quote:
Under what statute?

If the events of the story are accurate, how can you not justify return force when assault and battery comes into play? Any sane person would come to the conclusion that a person following you in (daylight ot dark is irrelevant here) in a public place and yelling obsceneties at you and then assaults you has exceeded the threshold that requires resposne of force.

Force, yes. Deadly force, no.
schmellba99
AG
A crazy guy attacking me from behind is a guy that, as far as I know, is attempting to do more than just push me from behind.

Beating his ass down or pulling my weapon on him are both acceptable means of defense, and anybody that thinks it needs to escalate further is just silly to me. You have absolutely zero knowledge about what the guys intentions or capabilities are - anybody brave enough to attack you from behind in a public place is likely, and by any reasonable standard, capable of doing a lot more.

Had the perp done more than just push the guy in the story, i guarantee you that moat on this thread would be lambasting him for not being situationally aware and allowing the bad guy to get as close as he did and not being much more defensive and assertive at the onset.

You are right, i want to go home at the end of the day like everybody else. In that situation, i am not going to allow the bad guy to be the aggressor, and I would damn sure not find any fault if the CCW had pulled his weapon earlier because that is the entire purpose of carrying.
schmellba99
AG
Who,said shooting instantly was called for?

Additionally, what metric is used to determine what level of force is required? I didnt get a cheat card in my CCW class. Attacking from behind is more than just a slight shove, especially after the rest of the info in the story is included as well.
91AggieLawyer
AG
I don't want to sound critical, but the police should have been called when he entered the store after the guy cursed at him. It is obvious (to me, anyway) that this guy is asking for trouble -- he's going to harass someone again, no doubt. Get the store manager, tell him about it and have them call the police. If they won't, call them yourself and then never go to that store again. If they don't care about idiots in their parking lot, then I want no part of doing business with them.

If you get into a beef with someone over, say, a parking place, you don't need to call police then. So I'm not suggesting you call 911 ever time some ******* curses at you. But this situation is different -- as stated, he is going to harass someone else, perhaps a woman or someone who can't defend themselves well. I don't want that, and most police officers I know have told me, "you're better off calling us rather than handling it yourself."
greenman99
AG
Call the cops but their hands are tied. All they can do is ask him to leave and he will until they leave. Then he will be right back at it harassing people until someone calls the cops again and the cycle repeats.
230Ag
AG
quote:
Lol I'm no troll and I have a family.

I'm sure going back in the store was the best option. But all reason and saneness would have left me the moment he pushed me through the doors.

I avoid conflict as best as I can, and I am as kind and respectful to people as a man can be. Those that don't respect orhers are worthless scum in my book.
going to jail over someone who "disrespects you" sounds like a solid plan. I'm not telling you what to do, but good luck in jail - sounds like you might end up there at some point.
VanZandt92
Is it just me or are most of the concealed cw threads folks second guessing what they would have done and what the person should have done? Nothing wrong with concealed carry, but you all sound like dorks. It's like all the dorks who think they're going to get bit by a snake just because you go camping.
dubi
AG
quote:
He begins to swear and scream profanities at me and I ignore him and begin walking back to my car with bags in hand.

This was stupid too....

Why would you be carrying grocery bags when you have been physically threatened? Makes it hard to respond.

Dude should have retreated.

"Hide, run, fight" would apply here.
RedlineAg08
Whatever. I didn't say I go fighting everyone that disrespects me. A general respect for other people is a very small thing. If you're following me around cussing me in and out of a store and then you put your hands on me then you get whatever comes your way.

You wouldn't even be arrested if you were to
best the **** out of this guy. You wouldn't be arrested if you pulled your gun, either. Now, if you shot him at the point he pushed you coming out of the store then you would have been arrested but it's doubtful if you would have been found criminally guilty.

I'll allow the cops to do their job when I have time to allow it. When the guy is physically threatening me face to face then I'm ending it and calling the cops afterwards. If that puts me in jail for more than a pit stop then **** this country and the people that allowed the ninnies to run it.
Satellite of Love
quote:

Hope you enjoy jail for murder.
pilgrim82
AG
Seems like we're missing another point of self-defense in this scenario...secondary tactics. Carrying a knife, stun gun, or baton, (of course,when/where legal) gives you an option NOT to have to rely on deadly force.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Is it just me or are most of the concealed cw threads folks second guessing what they would have done and what the person should have done? Nothing wrong with concealed carry, but you all sound like dorks. It's like all the dorks who think they're going to get bit by a snake just because you go camping.

What else are we supposed to do on a discussion board? It seems like the place to ask questions, make suggestions, and learn something.
Buck Compton
AG
quote:
What an awful outlook. It's worth it to go through these mental exercises. That being said, it's a discussion board, buddy. Would you rather have the OP followed by "T&P", "That sucks", and "Glad he's okay"? How is that stimulating or worth your time?

I don't even know what thread you are talking about, but it's clear you won't always get bitten by a snake when camping. If you encounter one in very close proximity while camping, isn't it good to have at least SOME knowledge of the snake, etc? To have thought about it and been on the lookout for it ahead of time?
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
quote:
One of the dumber things I've read here in a while. For multiple reasons.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.