Outdoors
Sponsored by

Chest rigs/battle belts/go bags/load out gear

6,975 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Bradley.Kohr.II
drummer0415
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Warning: tacticool thread. If this is not your cup o tea, please hit the back button now. Thanks.

I'm starting to put together some SHTF gear, and would like to see what everybody else is running. I'm trying to include everything I can think that would be useful without over loading and getting too heavy.

I have a molle battle belt, and a small backpack, but I haven't rigged them out/filled them with anything yet. I'm plannin to put a knife, flashlight, and a couple mag pouches on the belt. Im planning to put a couple more mags in the backpack, along with binoculars, pen, paper, a first aid kit, a small multi tool, and looking for more ideas. I will also be acquiring a plate carrier soon. Probably won't put anything on that other than a couple mag pouches.

This thread is for sharing your kits/gear and let others get ideas of what's important. Pics are welcome.

And go.
Waltonloads08
AG
When will you be wearing this gear?
Cancelled
AG
Are you taking this stuff camping?
TwoMarksHand
AG
Do you have anything for the back of you battle belt? Because that is where a first aid kit could go. I've seen this done to clear space in a backpack.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Also ITS tactical has a bunch of really cool stuff/reviews.
fightingfarmer09
I love my Camelbak M.U.L.E. Non tactical version. My reasoning is: smaller than a normal backpack and makes a great day bag, option of a great water container option, mine is solid black and blends in during daily use. Last thing I want is someone looking at my gear and standing out.

I scout cotton and other crops daily, so this allows me to carry spare clothes, firearm, first aid, and work supplies like a handlens. But I can jump in a farmers truck or a coworker without drawing attention.
jobu93
AG
I'm flirting with the idea of a plate carrier and armor.

So, I don't think this thread is odd at all.
AggieGunslinger
AG
You're going to need to duct tape a second plate on your back.
OldCamp
I have an HSGI micro chest rig dedicated to my AR15.
I like the HSGI double decker "taco" pouches to carry both rifle and pistol magazines.

Im looking at a Hill People Gear Kit Bag Recon (chest rig) to dedicate to my Mini 14.

I've also been looking at an HSGI battle belt for hiking around our property and deer lease. This would hold my Glock, spare magazines, cell phone, water bottle, flash light, GPS / compass, knife, etc all in an "easy on" and "easy off" rig. I also think the belt will be more cool to wear in summer time compared to a chest rig.

A chest rig or battle belt puts your gear at your finger tips rather than being buried in a back pack

Honesty, I think webbing gear is far too overlooked and under-discussed.
If you are the type of person that values an AR15, spare mags, and a surplus of ammo, it only makes sense to have a means to transport it all and have it quickly accessible to deploy when you need it. Think about it.
Dunbar
AG
Awww ****. Here we go.
Dunbar
AG
Op,
I run a battle belt. As a civilian, less is more. Im very minimilist with my fighting set up
TwoMarksHand
AG
Anyone use a battle belt for USPSA/IDPA?

AggieGunslinger
AG
My plan is to have me picking off targets with my 300 WM while my wife lays down suppressing fire.
Jason C.
AG
quote:
I love my Camelbak M.U.L.E. Non tactical version. My reasoning is: smaller than a normal backpack and makes a great day bag, option of a great water container option, mine is solid black and blends in during daily use. Last thing I want is someone looking at my gear and standing out.

I scout cotton and other crops daily, so this allows me to carry spare clothes, firearm, first aid, and work supplies like a handlens. But I can jump in a farmers truck or a coworker without drawing attention.

Have worn one under clothes before into an event. Great little pack.
fightingfarmer09
RockinU
I have several Hill People Gear kit bags, and they are without question my most used piece of gear. I use them hunting, fishing, kayaking, camping/hiking, even driving a tractor. I use the original pattern the most, but the smaller recon is useful too. Don't have a heavy recon.
ursusguy
AG
Daypack from Wal-Mart's fine Outdoor Products line. Carry it around for everything, including official travel luggage, and after about two years is doubles to help you fit in with homeless populations.....only semi kidding.
Naveronski
AG
No compromise.

IOTV
Ceramic plates. Front, back, and side to side.
3 mags. Or 6. Or 8. Sometimes it depends. Usually a bag full in the truck. ATS and Blue Force Gear make good options.
Individual first aid kit. Tourniquet, compression bandage, and some other stuff.
2x spare TQ's.
2x bundles: Quick clot gauze, kerlex, and ace bandage taped together.
Stuff a Nalgene bottle in an old e-tool pouch. **** canteens.
550 cord a Surefire and stuff it in a gp pouch with some spare batteries, GPS, chem lights, ear plugs, and sharpies.
PVS-14's go in another pouch.

And, uh, "mil-spec" sucks. Generally speaking.
runningbombtech
AG
Let me know if y'all want to shake your gear out once your kit is loaded to your liking. I teach a tactical applications course that will put you through the numbers for shooting and moving, and primary to secondary weapon system transitions.

Kudos to Naveronski for adding his blow out kit and tourniquet.
----------------------------------------------
Gun fight rule No. 11 - the only unfair fight is the one you lose.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
Texas LTC Certified Instructor
www.WarriorCHL.com
TheVarian
AG
quote:
Also ITS tactical has a bunch of really cool stuff/reviews.

Every Thursday. Never know what you'll get but it is worth checking out.
drummer0415
AG
quote:
Let me know if y'all want to shake your gear out once your kit is loaded to your liking. I teach a tactical applications course that will put you through the numbers for shooting and moving, and primary to secondary weapon system transitions.

I'm definitely interested in this. I need a little more time to get my kit situated but I will be in touch with you in the future.
maverick2076
TAG Banshee plate carrier with HSGI Taco rifle pouches and a small hydration pack. I've got a cheap Condor 1st line belt that I bought to test out the concept. I've got a G Code holster, 2 Esstac rifle and pistol mag pouches, and an HSGI bleeder/blowout kit on it. I need a better belt. The Condor one was good for trying out the idea, but it is cheap and already started to pop seams. I'm thinking about switching to the 5.11 belt. Anyone have any other recs?
Mr. Dubi
I don't see what all the fuss is about. president obama says we don't need this stuff and it's what's wrong with America.
AggieGunslinger
AG
#prepperlivesmatter
Dunbar
AG
HSGI belt is the best out there. Has a neoprene lining that helps keep it in place and a belt stiffener that helps the belt keep its shape and prevent it from folding over at the top
Corps_Ag12
AG
I just have a small survival pouch that rides around the waist below a backpack, but it has shoulder straps.

It's basically an emergency camping kit. Empty water bottle, water tablets, cooking utinsils & pans, first aid kit, couple of knives, multi tool, flashlights, batteries, fire starter, matches, fishing line & hooks, duct tape, cash, that's all I can remember right now.

It's enough to get me to the big out location in a vehicle or on foot. Any suggestions for items to add (besides guns & ammo, separate bag) would be appreciated.
PorkEatingCrusader
carried in my truck......

1.armour plate carrier chest rig with 8 30 round 5.56 mags
2. mechanix gloves
3. 8 1/2" Barrel AR pistol
4. XDS .45 with 1 short and one extended mag
5.SOG knife
6.Expandable Baton
7.500 rds 5.56 (Green Tip)
8.200rds .45 (ball)

Drago Backpack with....

1. RATS tourniquet (REfactor Tactical)
2.Gun oil
3.Hearing Protection X2
4.Trauma kit
5.Carbiners X2
6.100' paracord
7.MRE X3
BenderRodriguez
AG
This is my favorite chest rig: ATS 762 Split Front from SKD.

Wide straps, easy on/off thanks to the front release, and as the picture shows, I can use it with everything from an AR to an AK or a G3.

Dunbar
AG
Here you go OP
91AggieLawyer
AG
I've started to approach this GENERAL topic (i.e. EDC on up to Bug out/SHTF) with several "degrees" or "levels." However you want to think of it. Of course, all these levels are completely up to you -- its the idea (not mine, btw) that's important:

Level 1: True EDC -- the things that I carry that fit in my pocket (for me, phone, wallet, keys, pocket reading glasses (no jokes, please), and possibly small knife and pocket handgun)

Level 2: What I call EDC+ -- these are things that I might need that I have in a small pouch that I can grab leaving the house; includes a knife, tactical pen, mini flashlight, field notes, small amount of first aid stuff, 2 USB sticks, lighter, and 2 or 3 other things.

Level 3: tactical backpack where I throw in my Level 2 bag, laptop, chargers, larger handgun and extra mags, and whatever docs and similar items I might need. You could obviously add a small first aid bag and clothes bag to this -- I haven't yet.

And so forth.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
It's obvious some of ya'll never humped a ruck much less the gear that is required to operate/survive in the boonies...keep going , it is amusing as some like playing like the military....
Col. A 1976
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
It's obvious some of ya'll never humped a ruck much less the gear that is required to operate/survive in the boonies...keep going , it is amusing as some like playing like the military....
Well add & subtract what you think should and shouldn't be here.

And Edit: I don't think this is about guys playing pretend army
fightingfarmer09
I personally do not understand the "tacticool" prepper approach to EDC, but a simple "Get Home" bag is a sensible approach to EDC. I would never contemplate some of the options that are being discussed, but having a bag that if I broke down in a remote rice field in the heat of the summer, I could hoof it 2-3 miles to get phone signal/help is not "playing army".

Anyway, learn a skill don't collect gear. Really will lighten your load.
maverick2076
quote:

A. Some of us have been "playing" in the military for nearly 20 years now.

B. Tactical carrying equipment serves more purposes than "surviving in the boonies"

C. IF you don't have anything useful to contribute, feel free to STFU.
PorkEatingCrusader
quote:
Yea, Ok there guy! I've spent more time doing he Govt's work than I care to think about! You assume that every tacticool guy has no military background. But hey what do you expect from A Col. that has never really done S**T in the first place!! Yea I work for a living.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.