Outdoors
Sponsored by

Bow rest recomendations

2,543 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Furlock Bones
easttxag11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I bought a Bear Mauler (left hand), RTH package about 5 years ago when I first got into bow hunting. I'd like to upgrade now but cant justify the money to buy and outfit a new bow before this season.

Since I'm going to shoot it for at least another season I'd like to upgrade the rest (it has a whisker biscuit now). Can anyone recommend a decent drop away rest that won't break the bank?

I'm considering this QAD ultra rest hunter. Anyone have experience with it?
arrow
AG
My recommendation is the Limbdriver Pro V rest. It's the one archery component I have no plans to upgrade on my next bow.

If I was only considering non-limb driven drop aways, the QAD you mention seems to be a great choice based on reviews.
unearth222
AG
I have the rest you are looking at and it is a great rest. That being said, it is mechanical......and I think the whisker biscuit gets talked down way to much. You could stick with what you have and be in great shape.
AggieChemist
AG
Nothing wrong with a wb. Limb driver pro v is what I shoot.
Sean98
AG
I'm not going to add a lot here, but it's TexAgs so I'll reply anyway.

There's nothing wrong with the Whiskerbiskit. It's basically bulletproof unless you're hunting in Canada in December. That said, most of us don't shoot one anymore and there is a reason... and that reason is zero contact fall aways.

The Limbdriver ProV is what I shoot as well. I do not intend to change given the options on the market today.

That said, the QAD Ultra is a very good rest. The timing of them can be critical, so if you move to that I'd have a pro shop install it. Almost all of the returned QAD rests or bad online reviews are timing related. People trying to install their own without the specific knowledge of how to get it just right.
stdeb11
AG
I have a QAD Ultra and love it. I shot a whisker biscuit before that. As others have said I did not have any complaints with a wb outside of it seemed to wear out vanes a little faster. However, no complaints with the QAD for the past 3 years.
mts6175
AG
quote:
I have a QAD Ultra and love it. I shot a whisker biscuit before that. As others have said I did not have any complaints with a wb outside of it seemed to wear out vanes a little faster. However, no complaints with the QAD for the past 3 years.
Did the exact same as above. Had a WB, then switched to the QAD Ultra. Won't look back, QAD is great. I will say that I have ripped vanes off my arrows using the WB. It's what made me change.
Ag210
AG
Vote for qad
yaterag
AG
How hard is the limbdriver to get setup correctly? My wb is about worn out and if I'm going to get a new rest I might as well upgrade to a drop away.

Sean what archery store do you use in the area? I need a few new things and somewhere else to spend my money.
Chickenhawk
Posted on another thread, but I shoot a ripcord ace with micro adjust. No complaints.
LRHF
AG
I have used many, I think the best thing you can do is find a qualified bow tech properly set timing. I had issues with Trophy Taker rests not dropping fast enough to clear vanes. My friends with long wingspans loved them!

Currently have a QAD on hunting bow, have a ripcord on a target bow, they work great. Find an archery store with qualified techs or find a "super tuner" in your area. The price of the widget doesn't matter, you need experienced help (or a lot of patience to DIY).
Sean98
AG
yaterag said:

Sean what archery store do you use in the area? I need a few new things and somewhere else to spend my money.

Are you in Kansas? I generally use Overtons Archery in Lawrence, KS.
yaterag
AG
Thanks, that's good to know. I live on the West side of Olathe so Lawrence isn't too far away. The few archery stores we had close by all closed down. They all sucked so it wasn't a big loss.
Sean98
AG
Jon Overton is the owner and he does a good job but is pretty busy. Probably best to call and schedule work if you can, or be able to wait for awhile. He's not open on Mondays, FYI.
Furlock Bones
AG
Limbdriver Pro V on every bow. it's the simplest set up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.