Outdoors
Sponsored by

Officially a Land Owner!

3,243 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by GatorAg03
GatorAg03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We just closed on a pretty neat little hunting and fishing property. I am pretty excited so thought I would share.

It is located about an hour and half south of Kansas City.

It is 170 acres in total and sits a half mile off the road for complete privacy. It has a 30 acre shallow duck lake, a 10 acre fishing lake, another 6 acre shallow duck slough and it borders a small river as the north boundary. The remainder is mostly river bottom woods to include a nice little pecan orchard (for a couple thousand bucks a year if I want to have them harvested) as well as some open areas for some small food plots. It also has about 10 acres that could be tilled (or a huge food plot). it has a well maintained but older farm house and has about a 3 acre yard with plenty of room for a nice garden.

This is truly a four season property. It is located on a major flyway so with all the water duck and goose hunting should be amazing. It has a healthy deer and turkey population (only about 7 miles from the KS border so hopefully some of those bruiser genes will work their way over some years). And then I have small game and plenty of fishing to keep me busy the rest of the year.

I have a lot to learn, but am excited to get to mange my own place. I majored in Wildlife and Fisheries at A&M so I am pretty pumped to finally dust off a few of my fish and wildlife management pubs and see if I remember any of it.

I'm sure a lot of expenses and hard work are in my future as well as many trial and errors. But this has been a dream of mine a long time and things fortunately lined up financially and job wise to make this dream a reality. I'm definitely thankful and very excited to learn and manage the land!

Chipotlemonger
AG
Awesome, living the dream.

Congratulations.
RockinU
Congrats!
Cowman1
Congrats! Lots of work and good times coming your way!
redass1876
arrow
TwoMarksHand
MarkPro
ToddyHill
AG
Kubota time!!!! Congrats!
MemphisAg1
Mr. McGibblets
yaterag
AG
Congrats. If you ever need anyone to help out fixing stuff up feel free to give me a shout
OhAggie98
TxA&Mhunter
always gig em
AG
So how much is the "Friends of Texags" daily hunt/fish/pig kill/duck shoot/beer drink/bbq/swap meet/game watch price?

Asking for a friend.

Congrats on the purchase.
carpe vinum
AG
Texags Field Trip!!
Sean98
AG
Let me know when we start the crappie thinning program!

Congrats!
suburban cowboy
California Ag 90
CanyonAg77
AG
Congrats! If you haven't already, talk to a tax guy and see if anything can be deducted. On the state level, do you have property tax there? And do they have Ag or Wildlife exemptions if they have tax?
txagB2
citizenkane06
KatyAg01
Caliber
AG
Congratulations! I'm sure you worked you're butt off to make this happen, time to work some more and really get to enjoy it!
JYDog90
AG
I'm excited for you!
SECond2noneAgs
AG
#LifeGoals.

And post some pics when you get a chance.
schmellba99
AG
quote:
#LifeGoals.

And post some pics when you get a chance.
This. or coordinates so us LOL poors can e-stalk you through google earth.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
Texags Field Trip!!
OB, screw those other guys.
Allen76
AG
Sounds like a great place. I assume you live near the place. I like the fact that you have a permanent river on one border. The importance of it will change immensely if you ever have a drought bad enough to dry up the other areas.

When I was pretty fresh out of TAMU, I bought a cabin with 20 acres in the Gunnison Mountains, closest to Paeonia, Colorado. It was a georgeous, fairly secluded place, loaded with elk. The problem was, I did not live anywhere near there and it was just too much to get up there very often. After only two visits during hunting seasons, I sold it and called it a lesson learned.... invest in something that is easily accessible to your lifestyle so you can enjoy it.

Edit: I was reading my post, and realized I just said I bought a place.... 20 acres.... etc, etc.....loaded with elk. This makes it sound like I am one of those idiots that thinks I can buy a tiny piece of land so I can kill all the surrounding neighbors wildlife as they step across my fence. But the 20 acres backed up to high elevation BLM land.... as much as you could walk. Some local guides packed in by horseback very near there. There was no fence, and there was a cold mountain stream running right by the cabin. It was awesome, just too far away.
GatorAg03
AG
Thanks y'all. Waiting for a thunderstorm to pass and then will head down with the next load.

Allen, to answer your question we will be living there for at least the next few years. Not sure we are going to settle out here in the midwest long term or not, but I love the area and will come through to duck hunt every fall and turkey hunt & crappie fish every spring if we don't retire on it long term.

Honestly this place in TX would cost me at least double if not 3 or 4 times as much, so even if we end up settling elsewhere on a smaller place I will always have this as an investment and own place to hunt at what I consider a really great price for what you get.

Sean, let's find some dates that work and figure out what all are in these lakes. Need to pick your brain on deer management/stand locations/food plots as well.

I'll try to get some pics uploaded this evening.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.