Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pretty amazing picture of rattlesnake striking

46,881 Views | 167 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by HCHunter
watty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't *think* this has found its way to Texags yet, as it was privately sent to me and I did an image search for it before posting. As such, I took out the faces since it's not my place to put their faces out there if they don't want. As far as I know, this was on or near Willow City Loop and was sent to my dad by the relatives of the people in the picture.

First, the full pic:

Now, look just below the woman's hand if you haven't spotted it already.

Rattlesnake is striking, those white things are fangs. The woman got bit, and then the dog got bit and did not survive. The woman is still in the hospital last I heard.

Be careful out there!

Ag In Ok
AG
That's a good dog, a very good dog.

Hope the mom get to feeling better soon.
Kenneth_2003
AG
Saw this on (I think) FB the other day.
Credible Source
AG
Well that is heartbreaking. Hope the mom recovers and is ok. And build a statue of that dog for saving the little girl.
Sailor
always always always be looking down when outdoors in the field. i do it so much i probably miss what is happening at eye level.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Thoughts and prayers to the woman... May she have a speedy and full recovery.

Now let me step on my soapbox:

If you're so adamant about taking a picture in spring flowers, blue bonnets, etc., be aware of the risks that come with walking your family into a field and laying on the ground.

I am not insinuating that this incident was a result of anyone's neglegience.. It's sounds like a horrible case of wrong, place wrong time.

I just think so many people get caught up with uploading pictures on social media, that they never stop and assess the potential risks of laying their children or themselves in a field.

Let this serve as a reminder that snakes are apart of nature and when you go out into nature, be aware of your surroundings. Keep your eyes on the ground.

Presley OBannons Sword
makes my heart hurt. glad the mom is ok, and glad the snake didn't pick the little girl to go after. if I was that dad, I could never look at that picture again in my life without crying.
Presley OBannons Sword
the way the dad's left arm is, it looks like he might have seen the snake right before it struck
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Duck Blind
AG
That's horrible.
watty
AG
Wow, that's some serious "zoom in and enhance" skills.
TwoMarksHand
AG
quote:
the way the dad's left arm is, it looks like he might have seen the snake right before it struck
I think you're right.
Furlock Bones
AG
ugh. terrible.
OnlyForNow
AG
Work with a girl that knows them personally.

Saw this about 3 weeks ago. Crazy.
BrazosDog02
AG
So this is confirmed legit? My first instinct when I saw this was "bull ****". Some other sites online seemed to indicate that as well, but then there wasnt enough confirmation for me to call it. So, I suspect its real. But....yes?
watty
AG
How's she doing? I don't know how current my info was.
OnlyForNow
AG
I said the same thing when I saw it. (bullspit)

Then she explained that she knew them, and showed me pictures of the wife in the hospital.

my co-worker is out of town today, but should be back in tomorrow. I'll ask her.
watty
AG
quote:
So this is confirmed legit? My first instinct when I saw this was "bull ****". Some other sites online seemed to indicate that as well, but then there wasnt enough confirmation for me to call it. So, I suspect its real. But....yes?

I can't 100% say but I have to assume it's real because when I called my dad after he sent it to me, he gave me the name, of a man I have personally met, of the guy who sent it to him and said he knew them (and was maybe even related to him) and indicated that it happened right around where this guy lives. So unless there was a big misunderstanding there, I'm under the impression it's legit and that I know the guy who knows them.
Kenneth_2003
AG
If the left arm thing observed above is correct (and from looking at it, i'd be inclined to agree) an un-censored photo showing dad's face would confirm.

I'm NOT asking that someone go get that un-censored photo or ask someone for it. The faces were blocked out to conceal identities and I'm fine keeping it that way on the internet. I'm just saying that if the arm is starting to move then there is very likely a big time "Oh S----!" face behind that blue box.

Perhaps someone just took a pic of a happy family and shopped the snake in there. In that case the left arm could just be a funny/awkward position. Perhaps he's about to lose his balance. The face would tell the story.
Guitarsoup
AG
Looks like this was posted to Reddit 2 weeks ago.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/4fhq85/snake_bite_captured_mid_strike_in_this_family/
Guitarsoup
AG
quote:
If the left arm thing observed above is correct (and from looking at it, i'd be inclined to agree) an un-censored photo showing dad's face would confirm.

I'm NOT asking that someone go get that un-censored photo or ask someone for it. The faces were blocked out to conceal identities and I'm fine keeping it that way on the internet. I'm just saying that if the arm is starting to move then there is very likely a big time "Oh S----!" face behind that blue box.

Perhaps someone just took a pic of a happy family and shopped the snake in there. In that case the left arm could just be a funny/awkward position. Perhaps he's about to lose his balance. The face would tell the story.

Still censored, but can't see Dad's face.
watty
AG
No, in the uncensored photo he is most definitely looking down. His hat covers his face. He definitely realized something was down there and is startled.

edit: Guitar beat me to it
BrazosDog02
AG
Thats not necessary. I think there would be a world of snopes like things already on the net if it were not legit.

Thumbs down because that fuggin' sucks.

Plus, now that I look at it, that muscle bulge on his arm is from a very quick and rapid retraction of the arm and making of a fist to avoid a strike, he likely saw coming way too late.
Bird Poo
AG
This picture is insane. I've never seen anything like it. That dog looks kind of old with all the gray around his nose--perhaps the reason he didn't survive. I'm sure he was bit more than once protecting his family. He'll be a family legend from here on out. Hope the mom is doing okay.

A few years ago some of us dads and daughters were camping up near Turner Falls in Oklahoma. We were hiking and the girls had been blazing the trail for the entire hike until we came to an area to look for fossils. My daughter tells me she needed to go to the bathroom so we hike on ahead while the rest of the group was still digging. No more than 50-60 yards up the trail did we come across the biggest damn diamondback I've ever seen. He stretched across the entire trail and I get sick to my stomach when I think about those girls running on top of that snake. Thank God they decided to take a break.
arrow
AG
I had these pictures sent to me by a friend last week. His story goes:

This is a guy he knows from the Texas Bowhunter forum. Apparently, the father noticed the snake right before the image was captured. The snake missed the mother, upon which the dog went after the snake. The dog got bit and as the father tried to get the dog away he got bit as well. The dog passed and the father was in ICU.

My friend posts on the OB occasionally so maybe he will chime in with a bit more.
CW Griswold
So can we kill snakes again?
unearth222
AG
quote:
I had these pictures sent to me by a friend last week. His story goes:

This is a guy he knows from the Texas Bowhunter forum. Apparently, the father noticed the snake right before the image was captured. The snake missed the mother, upon which the dog went after the snake. The dog got bit and as the father tried to get the dog away he got bit as well. The dog passed and the father was in ICU.

My friend posts on the OB occasionally so maybe he will chime in with a bit more.

This is correct. Tee father got bit and they were worried he was going to loose his leg. They were able to save the leg.

He got his wife and child out of the way, and in the process his dog went for the snake and got struck. As he grabbed his dog, he got tagged. He was in the hospital for a few days in ICU before he found out his dog passed from the first hand information I received.

Such a shame a family was impacted so negatively during a family picture outing. Nature is cruel....even when we try to sterilize it.
12f Mane
AG
My email said this was right outside of Victoria...
12f Mane
AG
quote:
Nature is cruel....even when we try to sterilize it.
unearth222
AG
quote:
quote:
Nature is cruel....even when we try to sterilize it.

I think you misinterpreted based on emoticon. I am not in favor of sterilizing the environment.... I don't kill snakes......even if they are venomous. I am just saying our society is attempting to do it, and it won't work out. Nature overcomes and stuff like this happens. The cruel reality of living and breathing.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
quote:
So can we kill snakes again?

To my knowledge no one said you couldn't.

I think it was just a matter of understanding not all snakes are bad (hence the snake thread and pictures for education) and use your judgement on whether or not it is a threat.

Just remember as many experts on here have confirmed, most bites occur after the victim has identified the snake and is attempting to kill it or is playing with a dead snake.

Protect yourself, family, and livestock. Just realize that sometimes the best way to protect everyone is to back out of an area and not come back until prepared or the threat is gone.

C4D
AG
Thats aweful. I get that they belong but i still have a serious distaste for rattlers.
Guitarsoup
AG
I'm saving this pic for the next time I am asked to do Bluebonnet pics.

Nope.
12f Mane
AG
Yep. Definitely sucks if true, but not a great idea to crouch in thick grass immediately adjacent to a clump of *****ly pear.
Unemployed
AG
So who got bit - the mother or father?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.