Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cabelas employee accidentally shoots his own hand at the gun counter...

6,342 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by SharkinAg
Panfish
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow, just wow. At least he didn't shoot a customer.

http://theadvocate.com/news/weeklies/15632181-123/gonzales-cabelas-employee-accidentally-shoots-himself-in-hand-at-store
EMY92
AG
That's why you should always clear any gun that you're looking at in a store. You never know what the last idiot did with it.
RockinU
To the guy who thought I was being ridiculous when I told him to stop muzzleing me at the gun counter at Gander Mountain because "it's obviously not loaded...": bite me.
aggieforester05
AG
It always amazes me how people in stores wave around pistols like a toy. I was taught growing up to treat every gun like it is loaded and always point the muzzle away from people even if you know for sure it is unloaded. That's the only way I handle a gun now and it's really not a difficult thing to do.
MemphisAg1
AG
quote:
It always amazes me how people in stores wave around pistols like a toy. I was taught growing up to treat every gun like it is loaded and always point the muzzle away from people even if you know for sure it is unloaded. That's the only way I handle a gun now and it's really not a difficult thing to do.
Amen. I won't hunt with people if I know they're careless with guns.

Too many people killed by guns that "weren't loaded."
Knucklesammich
Guns are always loaded even when they aren't.
Ag_of_08
AG
I've told this story before:

I was at a gun counter at a gander one afternoon just browsing and talking with the clerk a bit(I was bored and didn't want to be at home...). One of the other customers was looking at a remington(think it was a sendero don't remember) in 300wm. He had effectively swept most of the store with his finger in the trigger guard, and started to hand it back to the clerk. I asked to see it, and he handed me the rifle.

When I racked the bolt(I don't care who cleared what, when it hits my hands I WILL clear the weapon unless I want it loaded), i hear a loud *clank* on the counter, and we all look down to see a VERY live round rolling off the gun counter. At that point a handed the rifle back to the clerk, who had turned a lovely shade of OD green. I thought the guy who initially had the gun was going to pass out. Their manager told me they had problems during the rush with people loading guns as a "joke" when clerks aren't looking.... Told him I did not find it funny, and they might want to teach the clerks to actually clear guns before a customer hit a kid with an accidental shot being a ******.

BrazosDog02
AG
I'm really fuggin lost here. How in the ***** does a live round end up in the chamber of a weapon at a place like this?

I always clear it handling and I always end up having to point it at the ceiling to avoid sweeping someone, but good god.
Post removed:
by user
average_joker
AG
Conspiracy alert: could be a tactic of anti's to load store guns in the hopes of creating an exploitable accident?

45-70Ag
AG
Clerk at cabelas in Waco handed me a 1911 I asked for. When I cleared it he looked at me like I was an idiot.

45-70Ag
AG
quote:
Conspiracy alert: could be a tactic of anti's to load store guns in the hopes of creating an exploitable accident?

God I hope not
Ag_of_08
AG
It's possible.

I think the far more likely scenario is a teenager that needed their ass beat more often as a kid is trying to be "funny". Remember this is the generation that gave us swatting as a practical joke.
bigfoot10s
AG
I watch them clear the gun every time.

And I still do it myself. Never had any weird looks. Wouldn't care if I did.
EMY92
AG
quote:
Clerk at cabelas in Waco handed me a 1911 I asked for. When I cleared it he looked at me like I was an idiot.
I've had the opposite experience the few times I've looked at guns at that Cabela's. Each time, the employee clears the gun before handing it to me and I didn't get any strange looks repeating the process.
agent-maroon
AG
I've shopped at that Cabelas in Gonzalez. Had a simple question about the construction materials used in one of their house brand fishing rods that three clerks couldn't answer. Let's be charitable and just say that they're not employing future rocket surgeons working their way through grad school.

Glad no one was seriously injured although a round through the palm can sure mess up a hand's proper functioning.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ENG
AG
quote:
I've told this story before:

I was at a gun counter at a gander one afternoon just browsing and talking with the clerk a bit(I was bored and didn't want to be at home...). One of the other customers was looking at a remington(think it was a sendero don't remember) in 300wm. He had effectively swept most of the store with his finger in the trigger guard, and started to hand it back to the clerk. I asked to see it, and he handed me the rifle.

When I racked the bolt(I don't care who cleared what, when it hits my hands I WILL clear the weapon unless I want it loaded), i hear a loud *clank* on the counter, and we all look down to see a VERY live round rolling off the gun counter. At that point a handed the rifle back to the clerk, who had turned a lovely shade of OD green. I thought the guy who initially had the gun was going to pass out. Their manager told me they had problems during the rush with people loading guns as a "joke" when clerks aren't looking.... Told him I did not find it funny, and they might want to teach the clerks to actually clear guns before a customer hit a kid with an accidental shot being a ******.

That literally makes my stomach turn
Panfish
AG
I'm in that Cabelas on a regular basis as well, and have been at that gun counter 6-8 times in the last several months. In fact, I walked away from it one busy Saturday last December because of all the muzzles sweeping in all different directions.

I'll be curious to see if they make any noticeable changes as to how they operate the gun counter as a result of this incident.

Another thought: This strongly reinforces why you should highly discount the "advice" you get from most of those folks behind the counter in an Academy/Bass Pro/Cabelas type store.
Allen76
AG
Well it was in Louisiana.
Allen76
AG
quote:
I'll be curious to see if they make any noticeable changes as to how they operate the gun counter as a result of this incident.

For sure.... this has to be classified as a serious lack of control in management. They are bound to have some clear rules already.

I am thinking:
1. Sales clerk always removes any magazines and opens the action before handing weapon over to customer.
2. Customer double checks action.
3. No live ammo allowed within ten feet of gun counter.

Or something like that. I am sure the actual policy is WAY longer and more complicated.
ursusguy
AG
They get annoyed, but I'll always ask that they open the action before I accept it.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Clearing a firearm handed to me is like putting on a seatbelt when you get in a car. It's basically instinct. I'm honestly shocked that isn't the case for everyone. If someone is annoyed by my instinct, then they need to correct theirs.

Sort of related story:

Wife and I visited Marrakesh, Morocco a few years back. Police around town (in public squares and along the streets) held their firearms like this:

Walking across their muzzles was inevitable and made my stomach turn every time we had to.
35chililights
AG
I can't stand to be at the gun counter in cabelas, not because of the muzzle sweeping (although it is rediculous), but because of the idiot conversations coming from both sides of the counter.

I swear some of the conversations sound like they each side is trying to one-up the level of idiocy on the opposite side.

"I mean, the laser sight is a real laser. You can use it to blind the attacker."

"Oh for sure, you just have to rack this shotgun and the noise alone should do the trick."

"Now this one is stainless. You don't have to clean or oil it as much."

It. Never. Ends.
SharkinAg
AG
They do the same damn thing in Italy.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
They do the same damn thing in Italy.
last time I was there, all the Carabinieri I saw had their weapons shouldered. Where were you at?
Kenneth_2003
AG
The idea that a customer could load a weapon without the clerk noticing at any point is scary enough in and of itself. Let alone that the weapon is not being cleared every time it changes hands!
45-70Ag
AG
I can see the used weapons getting loaded since they're on racks in the open but a behind the counter weapon is nuts.
SharkinAg
AG
I was there back in 2006 in Rome. I have some family out there and spent a week with them there. However, there was a lot of political stuff going on with large gatherings when I was there so that might have been the reason. I was 18 but I still remember my dad being uncomfortable with way they handled their guns.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.